Like books?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Like books?

Post by jnyork »

How many of you have more than one book going at the same time? I am now in the middle of, more or less, " Killing Lincoln" by Bill OReilly, "Empire of the Summer Moon" by S.C. Gwynne, and "U.S. Sharpshooters: Berdan's Civil War Elite" by Roy M. Marcot. Have been a book nut all my life, Mom started teaching me to read when I was about 4, been going ever since. Dont care for fiction at all, mostly history.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Like books?

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm half way through Empire of the Summer Moon and Highwaymen and Outlaws, I only read non fiction as a rule.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Books? Can't stop..........but...........reference only. I have every Gun Digest since 1950. The way I see it, if a book can't make me money, I don't want it.----------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Half way through "Liberty Defined" (Ron Paul). I'm not a big fan of Dr. Paul, but I just wanted more insight as to what he's about.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm generally a technical reader or science fiction, as a rule. I was an NIASE Master certified automotive mechanic long before I was in law enforcement. I love history, but generally it's to dull and boring for me to read. Now get me to the Big Horn or Andrew Jackson's house and let me soak it in. Love that.
Old Law Dawg
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I don't get to read as much as I'd like, but I listen to audio books daily. Just finsihed Unbroken, the story of Louis Zamperini. I just downloaded 8 more ranging from classics (Tale of Two Cities), to action/adventure (#9 in the Deep Black series). I'm hooked on the Trazan series and the Allan Quatermain series, as well. The cool thing is, it's from the local library, so it don't cost a penny (well other than tax money, and that's one use I won't complain about).
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Love books, try to keep two going at all times. Love stuff by Frank Hibbens, Capstick, Ruark, and of course Louis L'Amour westerns. Wife and kids gave me a Kindle, and it is great. However a good book, wood stove and a glass of a favorite beverage can't be beat.
I have found a great on-line book seller that has a great selection of new/used books on Western Americana, history, sporting, and the outdoors. PM me if anyone is interested.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Reading is one of my greatest joys in life (after shooting, sailing, and reloading). When I am reading for myself I read history, reference, or African hunting stories. I'm an industrial archaeologist (yes, we're real) so I also do a ton of reading in the course of research for excavations and projects.

Eric
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

jnyork wrote:How many of you have more than one book going at the same time? I am now in the middle of, more or less, " Killing Lincoln" by Bill OReilly, "Empire of the Summer Moon" by S.C. Gwynne, and "U.S. Sharpshooters: Berdan's Civil War Elite" by Roy M. Marcot. Have been a book nut all my life, Mom started teaching me to read when I was about 4, been going ever since. Dont care for fiction at all, mostly history.

Im the same way as far as what I like to read. No fiction at all usually. Mostly history which usually has enough fiction in it anyways. :wink:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I like to be read too! :oops: :D
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I like histories but am a big fiction fan. I am currently re-reading Treasure Island.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I read all kinds of books, self help, anything with guns, western fiction, adventure, or about most anything I want to know about, there is an expert that has written a book on it, somewhere.

And last but not least, is the Bible, which is the best nonfiction/self-help book in the world.
NRA Life Member, Patron
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

I too have been a book reader.....no fiction for me....real life is hard enough to believe. One soon to be finished is About Face.....Colonel David Hackworth, Korea and Vietnam....this guy was the real deal, Bronze Stars, Silver stars....DSC, put in more than once for the Medal of Honor....another is The Clay Pigeons of St. Lo....WWII and the Normandy invasion a 30 day battle that took many lives and hardly any ground....they truly were the Greatest Generation....not to mention gun books....S&W, Winchester Pumps actions I & 2 which are out of print and the extra hard cover I have are so expensive I am recultant to put them up for sale they are so expensive....one of the nicest is the Remington book on .22s,.....awesome book on all models of Remington .22s.......Going to start getting into the Civil War.....as I have been to a few battlefields, and watched Gettsburg so many times I wore it out.....wish they would remake it on Blu-Ray....one of my favorite time to read is while Deer hunting from a stand....NEXT WEEK MAINE....a whole week to roam the woods....a 71, or maybe a 64 overlooking an Oak ridge (no acorns this year) and just enjoying every minute of it.....k......I ordered 86ers (Joe) book 1000 Tags Filled, but too late to get it for my trip....it would be a nice book to read while thinking about a 200 grain silver tip drilling a nice Buck!!!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Have always loved to read. My favorite author is Russel Annabel, you know, Adventure Is My Business and lots more from Alaska and Mexico.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I've never enjoyed reading. I can't explain it but I can never remember what I read. See a picture and I got it, but read some instructions and I'm lost. Maybe this is why I enjoy youtube so much.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

My family are all readers; books, magazines, newpapers, whatever; drove my first wife nuts! Second wife is an avid reader, much better fit.

Whenever I have the opportunity I like to look through used bookstores; I especially like diaries and reminiscences from Civil War, SA War, WWI & II, Korea, Viet-Nam. I like reading biographies on people like Gen. Grant, Lee, MacArthur (both Douglas & father Arthur-both MOH recipients), Eisenhower, Clark, Doolittle,...

I just finished reading two books; "Byron's War", a collection of WWII letters written by a former Eighth AF B24 Bombardier and "Rebel Private: Front and Rear-Memoirs of a Confederate Soldier" . I usually have two or three, or four books going; I am currently reading a 1965 Outdoor Life book "The Complete Book of Shooting" (obtained through a forum member here), "Mustang at War", and my newest aquisition that my wife bought for me "Shooter's Bible Guide to Cartrdges".
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

jnyork wrote:How many of you have more than one book going at the same time? I am now in the middle of, more or less, " Killing Lincoln" by Bill OReilly, "Empire of the Summer Moon" by S.C. Gwynne, and "U.S. Sharpshooters: Berdan's Civil War Elite" by Roy M. Marcot. Have been a book nut all my life, Mom started teaching me to read when I was about 4, been going ever since. Dont care for fiction at all, mostly history.
I'm with you but I don't read so much lately.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I read anything and everything. Fiction, nonfiction, blogs, mags, books,
poetry, novels, history, historical fiction, newspapers - absolutely everything.

Both of my sons like to read as well. The little guy is 6, and the older one is
15. He's taking Latin AND Greek in high school just 'cuz he wants to. 8) My
mother was an English teacher. (Can ya tell!? :lol: )

I'm known for having more than one book at a time going. I've also been known
to neglect things like chores and sleep to finish a good read. My dad got
really mad at me one time for reading a book instead of doing my chores. He even
took it away. It was "Reach for the Sky"; the biography of the late Douglas Bader,
who was a legless RAF pilot during WWII. Fascinating story for a young boy!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Bader

-Stretch
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Empire Summer Moon; Whites of Their Eyes; Rogue Nation.

P.S. Wovoka was right.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

JReed wrote:I like histories but am a big fiction fan. I am currently re-reading Treasure Island.
Have you noticed that you get more from some books the second and even third times thru? I guess you are past the trying to out think the author and get to really understanding what you've read.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

MUST READ!

"American Rifle..A Biography"

If you like guns, history and politics.............an absolute MUST READ!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

jeepnik wrote:
JReed wrote:I like histories but am a big fiction fan. I am currently re-reading Treasure Island.
Have you noticed that you get more from some books the second and even third times thru? I guess you are past the trying to out think the author and get to really understanding what you've read.
Oh yes books are always better the third, fourth, 100th time around. I have literally read the covers off of several books. Good books to me are like old friends and I like to visit them often. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Do I like books? :mrgreen:

Let's see...due to a thread on another forum where an author kept saying "You need to read my book to understand" I did a quick count of the books on my desk and on one 3' shelf that I "need" to read before I could even think of getting to his. The final tally from just those two places was 38. Most of them deal with the Napoleonic Wars and/or firearms reference.

I'm afraid to count the rest and that doesn't include the Bible study I should be doing as well.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at