30-30 brass

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

30-30 brass

Post by 93marshooter »

What do you consider the best and most consistent 30-30 brass for accurate reloading. I am assuming (and believing) that in a lever gun accurate reloading is possible. I can improve on my past efforts.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Re: 30-30 brass

Post by damienph »

I prefer Remington (R-P) brass. Although all of my 30-30 brass, regardless of manufacturer, seems to last a long time.

In 30-30, the other brands that I have is Winchester, Federal and some PMC. I can't honestly say that one performs better or lasts longer than another. Remington has always been my first choice.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

six one, and half a dozen the other. All about the same. I never try to turn into any kind of magnum.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

I don't try to magnum my loads but I want to get enough consistency to make a good 100 yard group with my Lee 170 gr gas check cast WW bullets. I have been using Lee dipper 1.9 for 26 gr. imr 4895 or 2.2 dipper for 30 grs. of same. I have separated brass by brand this time and separated bullets by weight. I plan to use scale rather than dipper for 28 grs of 4895 to see what happens.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I haven't noticed quality differences between brass brands in .30-30, but I don't shoot that much of it.

I think regardless of what brand you use, it might help to consider sorting the brass by weight, and of course trimming to length, reaming/uniforming flash holes, and neck reaming. Size them minimally just enough for the gun you're using them in, too.

.30-30 CAN be incredibly accurate; it's just that most folks don't want/need that kind of accuracy from their .30-30's, and leverguns sometimes have some weird torques and such from the tubular magazines.

If you haven't read the "Accurizing Leverguns" article on here somewhere, it's a good one.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Remington is my preference for accuracy Brass. I do alot of sorting by weight, and case prep before the actual loading process for my accuracy loads.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I was big into 30-30's I had maybe 700 pieces of WW brass and maybe the same amount of R/P . I've always preferred WW brass when i can get it , but as others have said there are no flies on R/P brass either !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

93marshooter wrote:I don't try to magnum my loads but I want to get enough consistency to make a good 100 yard group with my Lee 170 gr gas check cast WW bullets. I have been using Lee dipper 1.9 for 26 gr. imr 4895 or 2.2 dipper for 30 grs. of same. I have separated brass by brand this time and separated bullets by weight. I plan to use scale rather than dipper for 28 grs of 4895 to see what happens.
Try 19 , 20 and 21 WEIGHED grains of Accurate Arms 5744 and see what you get with the Lee 170 grain GC cast bullet .
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Use a ball or flake powder vs an extruded powder. You won't have cut the extruded powder to get exact matches on weights. Whille I've used Federal brass, it was only because I had more of it on hand. I was able to get 50 cases that all weighed thhe same and held the exact same weigh and cc's of water. I suspect in any large enough sample, the other brands would also.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

These are all good advice. I will do most of these but cant get the neck turning device just now. I will weigh brass now that I have some separated by brand. However there is Winchester, WW and Winchester super X. I am grouping by manufactures not just label on the case.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Right or wrong, I always considered Western, Super X and Winchester all the same.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

damienph wrote:Right or wrong, I always considered Western, Super X and Winchester all the same.
Yes I always grouped all of these together !

In what I call Remington brass I had some stamped R/P , some Peters , some UMC and some just plain REM .