Fine shootin' day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Fine shootin' day

Post by earlmck »

Tuesday I met up with friend Larry to do a little shooting. Mid 80s here, a few clouds around and a gentle breeze out of the Northwest. I had a couple of "new" Remington pumps in 35 Remington to try out. Poor Larry just had a couple of old Leverguns. He doesn't do computers so he won't ever be posting pics of his nifty old babes, but I snapped a couple 'cause I thought they looked rather fine.
Win86in3856.jpg
Savage99in3030.jpg
I brought along several loads I had loaded up for my Marlin 35 Remingtons to try in the pumps (yeah, OT in this forum I know. I did post some pics over on Bruce Hamlin's pumprifle forum) One of these loads is a 180 grain cast-gas check LBT bullet that has long been a favorite in my revolvers but which has dissappointed in the 35 Remington. So right off I shot it at 25 yards just to see if the rifles were sighted in well enough to keep on paper. One of the pumps was putting these pistol bullets into a tight little cloverleaf and I thought "ohboy ohboy, gonna' finally have a gun to shoot these!" But dang if they didn't just make a 6" pattern out at 100 yards.

A couple of weeks ago El Chivo had a post here where he was ready to give up on reduced loads because he couldn't get his 35 Remington to shoot pistol bullets worth a hoot at the longer ranges. And here I am having the same trouble with my 35 Remingtons. I have acceptable reduced loads in most of my shooters, but the 35 Remington is resisting my efforts to date. That short neck and short throat contribute to the challenge, I suspect. But I haven't given up. Any of you 35 shooters have a good cast bullet load to suggest?

Then Larry opened up with his 30wcf on the Savage 1899. This was a "project rifle" he picked up at a local gun shop last winter which had barreled action and semi-inletted stock which he finished up. He is using the 180 grain 31141 he cast up from a mold he borrowed from me, and is using my suggested load of 18 grains of 5744. But he gets better results than I get from my 30's -- he was whacking the 200 yard pig right behind the shoulder with every shot, or calling the shot when he thought he pulled it a bit.
Shootingthepig.jpg
I ended up with an acceptable jacketed bullet load in both of my rifles, but no cast bullet loads yet. Larry forgot his ammo for the 38-56 but posed for a picture anyway so we could show off the rifle. It is a fine one. Wonder if he wouldn't want to trade for one of my pumps? :D And we did have enough beer along to keep from becoming dehydrated on this warm day. So.... another very fine day shooting (as aren't they all?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Fine shootin' day

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Love them range reports!!.. A great day indeed!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nothin like shootin for some fun, nice 86 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

NICE! I have a Remington 14 in .35 and haven't shot it in several years, but you have inspired me to wring it out some. The .38-56 WCF is one of my favorite cartridges and 2 1886s in that caliber grace my collection. One is a vintage 1890 standard rifle like the one in your photo and the other a rare LWTD with a 1/2 Oct Nickel Steel barrel. That one can bring the .38-56 to a new level, with .375 bullets cruising at 2300 FPS. I also have a old 99F TD in .30-30. Great guns. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

NOW THATS MY KIND OF RANGE......"OPEN RANGE" :wink:
GOOD RANGE REPORT..I ALWAYS WANTED A 35 REM...
I REMEMBER WHEN I WAS A KID THE NEIGHBOR HAD ONE IN A BOLT GUN...
SHORT AND COMPACT WITH A RIB ON TOP...REMINGTON I BELIEVE...
YOUR BUDDY HAS A VERY HANDSOME 86!
BUT YOU DID NOT POST ANY PICS OF YOU PUMPS!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What kind of front sight is that on the 1886...
(if you click on it it sort of gets bigger but it's the same pic as above just cropped; I thought I enlarged it, but didn't)
38-55 '86 sight.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Pretty sure the name of the sight is Beach. Some were called Beach combination sights because the ring you see would pivot over and raise up a post. The one in the pic though doesn't look like a combination type to me.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Great report!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Great report, Earl. Like you said anyday shootin' is a good day.
Old Law Dawg
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

AJMD429 wrote:What kind of front sight is that on the 1886...
I don't know what to call it Doc. I went back to my original photo and here is a close up...
86frontsite.jpg
Mike D. wrote:I have a Remington 14 in .35 and haven't shot it in several years, but you have inspired me to wring it out some.
Yeah, until a couple months ago I'd never even shot one. Now I own 3 and suspect they are going to give my old Marlin 336A a run for "favorite gun" title. Break her out Mike and we'll want a report over on the pumprifle forum. 86er started a thread over there just for us 14/141 owners...
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent! Paint me jealous! :mrgreen:
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

With the new pic I'd say the sight is a Beach Combination sight... Look on the muzzle side of the sight and you can see the blade that will be upward when the ring is folded down..
WIL TERRY
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for the sight info.

Someone with a bit of machining skills could probably make and sell a few of those.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

beautiful arms, and it does look like a fine day
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Buffalo Arms sells them 8)
WIL TERRY
bunyan

Post by bunyan »

Beautiful guns! Sorry your buddy forgot ammo for that winchester, I'd like to see how it shoots!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

AJMD429 wrote:What kind of front sight is that on the 1886...
Ben_Rumson wrote:With the new pic I'd say the sight is a Beach Combination sight... Look on the muzzle side of the sight and you can see the blade that will be upward when the ring is folded down..
Ben has it nailed. And that one came from Buffalo Arms.
And I still didn't get to shoot the 38-56: we cleaned moss out of irrigation pump intake instead. Next time maybe.
RIHMFIRE wrote:BUT YOU DID NOT POST ANY PICS OF YOUR PUMPS!
Well, they'd be kinda' Off-Topic here, but I did post pics over on Bruce Hamlin's pumprifle forum in the "Who's shooting a Rem 14/141 thread" (http://forum.pumprifle.org/). Come over and check 'em out, RIHMFIRE. One of 'em is very nice looking and the other has lots of "character"!
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry