My new to me 99C

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

My new to me 99C

Post by iceman »

Here are a couple of pics of my Savage 99C that I picked up on an even trade for a Stoger Condor Supreme 12 shotgun. I bought the shotgun used for $300 to try out since I never had an over and under. When this rifle showed up and the fellow said he was open to trades and accepted my offer, I jumped on it.
It had a Kasner 4x fixed wide view scope (TV screen type) mounted on see through mounts that I hate. After much messing around I succeeded in removing the mounts and scope. The mounting bolts were lock tited and rusty. The allen heads were messed up and after heating a bit I succeded in getting the front mounts out. The rear ones had to have the heads drilled off and then the remaining bolts came out easily.
The bore was dirty but cleaned up like new. The external bluing was worn a bit and after cleaning well and degreasing, I reblued with Outers bluing and I think came out quite nice. The CC on the lever is still very nice. The only issue now it to find a proper screw for the pistol grip cap so that the sling stud can be properly installed. All in all I think I did pretty good. Looking for a Fool Proof sight and then I'll go see how this 308 win shoots.
What do you think of my new toy?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My new to me 99C

Post by madman4570 »

:o :mrgreen: :D
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Yours looks better than mine did before I started cleaning the gunk off...

As for how it shoots... it should like 150s to 165s best.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Looks nice. Ya done good pilgrim.
Old Law Dawg
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Good Deal!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

iceman wrote:What do you think of my new toy?
Now that's shaping up to be a really nice rifle! Congrats on your good deal. It is better the other fellow has a shotgun he wanted and you have a rifle that you know enough to appreciate.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Welcome to the club, I now have 2 99s. The most recent is a family gun that my late uncle had.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Thanks for the comments. This is my 3rd model 99. My first was a model F in 300 savage. I shot my first deer with it and after a few years I traded it for a Remington pump in 308. After many years and a few rifles, I found another one. This is my first C model and I probably will keep it for a while and play with it.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Sweet deal :D :mrgreen:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen: That was a DEAL for you!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

That is a nice deal/find... But is it just me or does the lever pivot screw look different than the ones on other 99s?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Good eye!! I just compared to my other 99 and definately the wrong bolt type /head style. Bubba has played with this. I am going to try and find a parts list and see if I can find one. I'll get the pistol grip cap screw at the same time.
Anybody have one they care to sell?
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

GunBroker has Sav 99 parts...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'd say you did a right nice job, of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. ;) :mrgreen:

iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Found the lever bushing and screw from a parts dealer in Edmonton he also had a Fool Proof sight. Parts and sight ordered to save double shipping. All I have to do now is wait. I could always go find a die and some brass and load up some test loads.