cast bullet in 93 marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

cast bullet in 93 marlin

Post by 93marshooter »

I just got on this board. I have a New rifle a model 93 Marlin 30-30 possibly made in 1932 or so. It is a great rifle. I have been shooting commercial ammo which it handles well. My cast bullets are Lee 170 gr. fn with Gas checks. I have been using IMR 4895 26 gr or 30 gr loads. The 26 load is a bit more accurate but the 30 gr load has more authority down range. Which is better? I have no idea of the velocity but the load book put the velocity between 1700 for the 26 and 2000 or so for the 30 gr load. Bullets are sized in 311 sizer Image
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: cast bullet in 93 marlin

Post by J Miller »

93marshooter,

Welcome to the forum.

Which cast bullet load is better: 26 or 30 grs of IMR 4895?

Well you've already said 26grs was more accurate, but how much more accurate? Is the 30gr load reallly bad? Is it at least as accurate at the factory ammo? Does it lead the barrel?
All I can say is only you and your rifle can answer that question.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

I cant tell that the hotter load leads the barrel and it is more accurate than factory ammo. I am not sure how to tell when there is lead in the barrel. I want this load to do in hogs or deer out to 150 yards.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Leading can be seen as grayish streaks in the bore. Usually along the leading edges of the rifling.

If your hotter load is more accurate than the factory ammo, doesn't lead and isn't showing pressure signs then I'd use that one.

As for the hogs or deer out to 150 yds I'd have to say that depends as much on you as the bullet. If you can put the bullet where it needs to go the load sounds like it's got the oomph to do the job.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

welcome to the fire. hope you find the company to your liking. already doing well posting a pic with your first post :wink:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

I will try to post photos of my lever guns at some time later this week. The "new" marlin is a beautiful rifle. I want to show good photos of it braggin you know.
Thanks.
RickImage