OT: Charlie Toes ... RIP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Charlie Toes ... RIP

Post by J Miller »

As some of you know we've had a horrible time with loosing our cats this last several years.
Each seemed to have similar symptoms but the vets couldn't pin the cause of death down exactly.

The first of this month our 9 year old mellow yellow boy kitty Charlie was outside minding his business. I saw him in the driveway, under the shade of the big tree about an hour before my wife came home between her split shifts. He looked just fine.

When she got home he was sitting on the porch gasping and choking for air. She nailed him with the meds we had left over from Little Slick and within a couple days he improved considerably. He never did recover 100% though.
After that he was never allowed outside. We decided that due to all the losses we've had, our kitties are now indoor kitties. No exception.

Last night he and one of the females were waiting at the door when my wife got home from work. She came in and walked into the kitchen.
I followed and we chatted a bit then as I walked out of the kitchen I saw Charlie trying to walk. He couldn't his rear end just would not function, it was paralyzed. He squalled and panicked and bit at his right rear leg. Then using only his fronts he started pulling himself up on the couch. My wife helped him up there. He seemed to calm down a bit and about 10 -15 minutes later he walked somewhat normally through the house, down the basement steps to the basement. There was nothing we could do but watch him. No funds for the emergency vet so all we could do is hope he made it till today so we could take him to the regular vet.
Maybe 10 minutes later we heard him dragging himself back up the stairs to the landing. Then he started gagging, gasping and choking again and his back end was again paralyzed. He squalled and panicked and before we could stop him he bounced himself down the stairs and under some metal racks where he died.
It looked to me as if he had a stroke. He was normal just minutes before it hit him, then bam he was down.

We just got back from the County Animal Control, they dispose of deceased pets for a small fee. My wife is shattered, her emotions are about to the end of what she can handle.

Charlie was a very unique yellow and white boy kitty. He never caused trouble, never picked fights and was friendly with all the other kitties that would let him.
Charlie in kitchen window.JPG

He talked and trilled like no other cat either my wife or I have ever had.
I invited him in this month back in '02. He was tiny lost kitten that showed up out of nowhere.
Charlie & Millie.JPG

Now he's gone. Lord almighty what hole his leaving has caused in this house.

We have no children so I guess we dote on the kitties. I guess I'm at my wits end too.

Sorry for such a downer of a post, but I had to talk it out and since there's no one here I figured I'd tell you guys.

J :cry: e
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Motex66
Levergunner

Re: OT: Charlie Toes ... RIP

Post by Motex66 »

Joe it always helps to tell someone. To share your loss with friends. As you said pets get to be more like a part of the family when you are around them almost 24-7. I had a Pixie-bobcat for close to 14 years. Still miss him.

John&evalena
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:cry: Just remember The Rainbow Bridge.....You're gonna have a bunch of friends waiting for you when ya get there. :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sorry to hear that Joe, I know how much your cats mean to you and your wife.
I don't know why but a lot of feral born stray cats in towns seem to have health problems, maybe inbreeding perhaps?
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Cat & dog lovers ere too.. Wifey and I have felt probably what you guys are...Sorry to hear this Joe..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Joe,

That sounds as though he may have gotten into some kind of poison. Rat, ant, antifreeze or something similar. The only other thing I am aware that causes paralyzation like that is Rickets, but the choking does not fit that.

Sorry for your loss.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

We posted about Charlie on HomesteadingToday forum my wife belongs to. One poster suggest we Google SADDLE THROMBUS. So I did.
http://www.neamc.com/felineaorticthrombosis.pdf
This fits exactly what happened three weeks ago when my wife found him on the porch, and then again what happened last night.
The more I live with and learn about cats the more I'm convinced they are just little furry four legged people.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sorry Joe, hard losing pets alright, we`ll be thinking about you guys and praying for peace. :(
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sorry for your guys loss Joe.
Pets in the world help keep the human race a little more compassionate and make us better people all around.
All good things you do for your pets will come back to you whether here on earth or in the ever after.
Hang tough :wink:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sorry for your loss, Professor. Let the wife know we're thinking of you guys.
Old Law Dawg
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Joe, may the way in which you and your wife and kitties are thought of around here be of some comfort. Prayers offered.
T.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

kimwcook wrote:Sorry for your loss, Professor. Let the wife know we're thinking of you guys.
Remember, another kitty will show just as you decide you don't want one... and mend your heart all over again.
Last edited by Griff on Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Tis a hard thing Mie Amigo...the losses just seem to keep piling up. My condolences to you & Mama Miller. I hate it when a little buddy dies.

Death is another joker I want to spend 5 minutes with in an empty room, if "Father" permits at the judgement. I hope HE lets us all vent some frustration out on him before he burns forever.

Talked with Pitchy today...his word's helped much...a real Man-Of-G-D. Thanks Pitchy! :wink:

LB
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff wrote:
kimwcook wrote:Sorry for your loss, Professor. Let the wife know we're thinking of you guys.
Remember, another kitty will show just as you decide you don't want one... and mend your heart all over again.
That's what I'm afraid of. We agreed, no more kitties. We just want to enjoy these we have left while God lets us have them.
Also Little Slick was diagnosed with Feline Leukemia so all of them have been exposed and could have it. I we don't want to bring in any others until we get all those still here checked.

Joe
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Joe, I feel your pain, brother. I lost our family cat "Blue" Feb. 5th of this year. Still miss the little fellow. Praying the good Lord gives you some comfort.
Sam
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

dang :(
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Real sorry to read about this, Joe. Know it hurts now for you and your Mrs.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

This house feels empty. Our oldest and now only boy cat Obie has been walking the house all night calling and crying looking for Charlie. He finally went to sleep about a half hour ago. For around 8 years they were the best of buddies.

Joe
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

Very sorry for your loss, Joe.

Rob
NRA
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sorry Joe!
It's never easy.

jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Sorry to hear of it Joe.

It's never easy to lose a pet, cat or dog. They may not be people, but they are part of the family.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Joe, I've been there, no fun.

Take care.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Joe,

As a cat lover I understand what you are going through. Every cat is unique and he sounded like a special one. My condolences. I hope another kitty finds you soon.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

I'm sorry to hear this Joe, you've lost too many little buddies within such a short time. It's never easy, but things have not gone your way too much it seems. Hopefully your luck will turn for the better - you've got my prayers for that.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Joe, as a fellow "cat-guy", I know what you're going through. Sorry about your loss buddy! :(