Learning about levers, Winchester 88?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Learning about levers, Winchester 88?

Post by Canuck Bob »

I am intrigued by the 88. It is a fine rifle to my eye and the calibers chambered are what I consider top notch. I tried belted magnums but levers and 308/358/30-06 are as high up that ladder as I want to go. I tried a search but 88 doesn't work.

Is it a gear driven bolt like the BLR?

Does it field strip for decent cleaning? I eventually learned to time a BLR but never could figure why they had a bolt chamber to the barrel and made breech cleaning such a mystery. The Marlin 336 system is something to admire for simple REGULAR cleaning.

Is the trigger just a good old deer rifle trigger or downright terrible? I like triggers around 3 pounds or a little more. I'd much prefer a little creep to a hair trigger.

EDIT: Found a drawing: http://www.wisnersinc.com/exploded_views/Winc_88.htm
answered a couple questions, not gear driven and trigger on the lever housing. I wonder why the lever is a seperate piece from the trigger gaurd?

Did they go through the post-64 remodel as well? Some searching suggests that pre-64 had cut checkering and post 64 has the impressed stuff, this sound correct?

If you own one or ever did what is your evaluation for a good solid hunting rifle or carbine? Anyone regret selling one. I sure think the Finnwolf is tatsty too but to rare and costly for me.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Learning about levers, Winchester 88?

Post by Old Savage »

Well now the Model 88: does not field strip at all. Cleaning mine I use one of those brass muzzle protectors as I do with all my levers and as far as I can tell it causes no problem. Something near 500 through my .308 - best groups have been 1/2" at 100. Of course 1 to 1 1/2" more regular. Doesn't shoot at all well with some 180s but then I don't shoot them. Best ammo has been the basic Federal 150s. Shoots E Tip 150s to an inch - important out here but not there I am sure but they seem to behave like at least the next notch up in weight due to retained wt and velocity. Trigger has some creep but is lightish. Doesn't bother me but some really don't like that. I think they are a great rifle and used a friends 243 last year to take a deer at 275 yds lasered. He has hunted with it since 65 and has taken more than 40 deer. His father had one like it and took a lot of deer with it also. Here are those rifles and as you see they have seen plenty of action. Both are very accurate with their preferred ammo. Charles can work is like lightning.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

look alot like long ruger 96s. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I have 308s in BLR and 88. The 88 isn't a gear drive like the BLR, but the bolt does rotate into the lugs similar to a BLR. It is a fine hunting gun. Like old Savage said, 1-1.5" groups with a tighter one now and then. I will throw in the caveat that I havn't spent a lot of time in load development with the 88, so the groups might tighten up with the right combination!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Wow, those are fine rifles. I never took the time to look at them but they are nicely designed and have quite a classic stock for a modern redesign of the lever action.

I always thought a lever should have a external hammer but lately I'm starting to appreciate smooth uninterupted surfaces on rifles. I find the bolt handle on my 10-22 and Jungle Carbine annoy me! Then I wrap my hand around an iron sighted lever and think this is how it should be.

Interesting note about the 150 grain preference. I've never loaded for 308 but many report 150-165 as an ideal weight range. I suspect the mag length also must be set for ammo loaded pretty close to spec oal, eliminating long seated heavy bullets?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Canuck Bob wrote:Wow, those are fine rifles. I never took the time to look at them but they are nicely designed and have quite a classic stock for a modern redesign of the lever action.
Almost as nice as the Ruger 96's... :wink:
pokey wrote:look alot like long ruger 96s. :wink:
8) 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

You'll learn plenty in this article @ Wisner's
http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_in ... 88_100.htm

Here's a tidbit...
Unlike most other guns, the headspace in either the model 88 or 100, is not necessarily determined by whether or not the action appears to close over a minimum (Go) or maximum (No Go) headspace gage. Rather the significant factor relates to the rotation of the bolt head when viewed through the magazine well. To check headspace, proceed as follows: First, close the bolt on an empty chamber and note the position of the bolt in relation to the locking cut. Then apply a light pressure on the locking lug, using a screwdriver or something similar, and the bolt will rotate farther. Now, with a minimum headspace gage in the chamber, the bolt should rotate to the same position as it did with the chamber empty, unless the headspace is below the minimum. If additional rotation is obtained with light pressure applied against the locking lug, it is an indication that headspace exceeds the minimum, which it should. With a maximum headspace gage in the chamber, and no additional rotation should occur even when pressure is applied to the lug. In the event that additional rotation does take place, then headspace is excessive.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Ben, thanks for that article link. Probably one of the best articles about an older gun I've ever read. I'll be spending time on thier site for sure!

This got started because I'm researching my next lever. I like the traditional levers and am considering the 32 Special. However I also decided to consider the 308 as an option to keep my ideas open.

The 308 is a fine cartridge and brings back my days in uniforn firing the Nato version. Of course this line of questions have me googling some of the Marlin and Winchester rimmed versions. The long barrel XLR is a keeper too I suspect.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Canuck Bob wrote:This got started because I'm researching my next lever. I like the traditional levers and am considering the 32 Special
Dang, Bob, for a fellow who has been dreaming of a 32 Special you are now acting rather flexible. If you really want to check out some slick "new" options, have a look at the old Remington pumps-- the model 14 or 141 that come in 25, 30, 32, or 35 Remington. A little pain rounding up brass and dies for the rimless versions but loading data is the same as for Winchester's rimmed ones of the same caliber. Now I might not tell you about this nifty option 'cause I am still in my acquisition stage, but being a Canuck you won't be bidding against me on "gunbroker" :D .
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

While the Winchester 88 is a fine levergun, IF you obtain one, the trigger you get will be the one you'll need to learn to love, since AFAIK (no matter what some huckster might propose) the trigger will get no bette (and may get worse) with any rework.

The abomination is due to the traveling trigger design, to help those innocencts that complained of getting their finger caught by a stationary trigger when cycling a standard levergun. :roll:

BTW, The Savage 99 made up into a pretty fair .308 levergun - although mine's in .300 Savage (no deer will ever know the difference ;) ).

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I will bring this up again being an aficianado of the 88. The trigger is easy enough to shoot very well with. Not very different from the BLR which everyone seems to shoot well.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Bob
i have a 88 in 308 its a fine gun, shoots as well as most bolts
have a 32w.s. in a old 1894 saddle ring cabine, fits me well & shoots great. In the 70s i shot some moose up around Valley View with a
99 sav. in a 308 also a very nice combo.

ollogger