O.S.O.K.... 356Win - 49gr W748 220gr Speer FN - Really?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

O.S.O.K.... 356Win - 49gr W748 220gr Speer FN - Really?

Post by FWiedner »

I'm missing something or I've got unusally small cases.

In this thread:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... &sk=t&sd=a

It's mentioned that 49gr of W748 under a 220gr Speer FN is a favored load. Speer #11-14 all show 49.5gr of W748 as max for this cartridge.

My curiosity is this: I'm not able to get more than 47gr of W748 into a case with a Speer 220gr FN (OAL 2.560") before I'm hearing "crunching". I'd guess that means I'm on the edge of compressing the powder, and ball powders aren't the compressing kind, true? I'm seating to the crimp groove and using a Lee FC.

So what am I not considering or missing entirely? What's the secret to getting 49gr of W748 into a 356Win case with a 220gr Speer FN?

:?:
Last edited by FWiedner on Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: 356Win - 49gr W748 220gr Speer FN - Really?

Post by iceman »

While I have never used 748 in my 356, maybe a longer drop tube will help. Sometimes if poured so it flows in a circular pattern down the funnel also helps. Another trick i have used to get a little more in is to place the round on a vibration source to help settle the powder. ie a vibrating sander plate (without the paper on). just some ideas.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

If you haven't already, try dumping the powder slowly through the funnel from about 4-5" above. That will settle the powder vs running the charge from a powder measure directly into the case.

In my experience, different lots of the same ball powder will have slightly different densities meaning the same charge weight of one lot can take up slightly less room than another lot.

As we know, different case lots from different manufacturers can have slightly different capacities as well.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I've got one load that needs both the long drop tube and some vibration to get enough room to seat the bullet (I use an old electric shaver that has lots of vibration to it).

Another thing that can get you is that a can of powder that has been open a long time will not be as dense as it was when fresh. Only reason I know this is I have a Redding BR30 powder measure that has absolutely repeatable micrometer settings that I record when I get the load I like. The same can of powder I used 5 years ago (yeah, this kind of thing happens around this place) will invariable give me a lighter weight today than I recorded 5 years ago for the same powder measure setting. Sorry, I haven't been consistent enough with chronographing loads to tell you if the lighter weight but same volume gives the same velocity it gave before. I know I just assume it does and use the recorded micrometer setting rather than readjusting for weight.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: O.S.O.K.... 356Win - 49gr W748 220gr Speer FN - Really?

Post by FWiedner »

I noticed that O.S.O.K was the levergunner who favored the 49gr of Win748.

Hoping to get his input...

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I shoot 48.0 grains of Winchester 748 behind the 220-grain Speer bullet. In my Winchester I get 2,257 fps and this is an accurate but compressed load. Its about all I can put in the case and seat the bullet to my preferred COAL of 2.500”. I am certain with a COAL of 2.600” you can get 49.0 grains into a full length sized case. Ball powder does not compress much but it will “pack down hard.”

For maximum performance I prefer Hodgdon 4198 and Varget, both of which will push the 220-grain bullet above 2,360 fps.
Slim
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

FWiedner wrote:I noticed that O.S.O.K was the levergunner who favored the 49gr of Win748.

I've dropped him a line via another forum he and I play cat herder on so hopefully he'll be along shortly. I know he's in the middle of a pretty big transition (a good one) so it might take a little time.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

awp101 wrote:
FWiedner wrote:I noticed that O.S.O.K was the levergunner who favored the 49gr of Win748.

I've dropped him a line via another forum he and I play cat herder on so hopefully he'll be along shortly. I know he's in the middle of a pretty big transition (a good one) so it might take a little time.
I pm'd him to ask the question and he was kind enough to respond.

Apparently from the several suggestions, what I need to do is "try harder." :lol: :lol:

Thanks to all for your help.

:)

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Got it! :mrgreen:
FWiedner wrote: Apparently from the several suggestions, what I need to do is "try harder." :lol: :lol:
To steal and then mangle a popular phrase: Bring enough hammer... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

would different brass help? do they all have the same thickness around the primer area?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yeah, I mentioned vibrating or tapping my cases to get the charges to settle a bit. And I'm using Winchester 356 Win brass...

And my charge is actually 49.5 grains of W748...

It's been a while since I loaded the last bunch up and I must admit I don't remember the details too well.... :shock:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!