OT--Guy with the most guns.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT--Guy with the most guns.

Post by getitdone1 »

Would the guy in this group with the most guns please raise your hand?

Just wondering how many guns some of you have when a few of you say you have over 20 lever-action guns! Add bolt-action, handguns, semi-autos, single shots and shotguns and then how many? Over a hundred I would guess.

I know of a gun store owner who told me he owned over 200 guns. Me, I'm at 14 and that's the most I've ever had at one time.

People who don't like or understand guns cannot see any reason for someone having more than 1-3. I can appreciate that attitude but like I say--they don't understand. Fact is some people don't see any reason for owning a gun at all and are really afraid of them.

I can get to nearly 100 guns if I count all the guns I now have plus those I had and sold. I enjoyed every single one of those guns!

Let's see now, there was an S&W mod. 53 22 Jet w/22 inserts, the earlier Ruger single-action 44 mag w/6 1/2" bbl., Savage 99, 250 Sav., 1937 Win. 70, 257 Roberts etc, etc. Bragging? Well, maybe I am but the enjoyment of them is what really counts.

I'm now at an age where I think I've got it figured-out and can make do with about 7 and enjoy them as much or more than the 14. When it comes to cleaning I'd rather have about 3.

Don
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT--Guy with the most guns.

Post by Mescalero »

I have more than I need and have started to thin the herd.
I did not chase wild women
I did not do drugs
So I bought guns :oops:
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

I have more than I need and have started to thin the herd.
I did not chase wild women
I did not do drugs
So I bought guns
I didn't do drugs but I sure enjoyed chasing the wild women :lol: I am in the same boat. Heck, now-a-days guns are a better investement than the stock market. Atleast that is what I tell my wife. I have a safe full, but we shall never disclose just how many. I have everything from M1A's, FAL's, AK's, AR's, 1911's to leverguns and SAA's. I have thought about thinning the herd but just can't do it quite yet. The funny thing is out of all of those guns, I shoot my Marlin 39's and Ruger Blackhawk three screw the most.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

More than I need but not as many as I want - if I had any, of course... :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wild women??? No pics of Barbara Jean or Molly or ..., wish I did have some. Guns - what guns??? :D Don't know if I could reach 100 on what has come and gone probably not and I never really counted them. Sometimes people ask and truth is I don't know.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Savage wrote:Wild women??? No pics of Barbara Jean or Molly or ..., wish I did have some. Guns - what guns??? :D Don't know if I could reach 100 on what has come and gone probably not and I never really counted them. Sometimes people ask and truth is I don't know.

Guns "go"?

Don't tell Mrs. Y2K that!!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

But that was yesterday and yesterday's gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNuySwig ... re=related
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

More than I need but less than I want. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't think most gun owners care to discuss 'how many' kinds of questions, for the same reasons most people don't care to share specifics as to their actual income, PLUS the fact that there are too many prying eyes on the internet that include potential thieves, and/or just those who are immature enough that they DID spend their money on booze, cigarettes, and loose women, so get upset when someone who was a bit more frugal and/or hard working winds up with more toys.

So don't expect many specific answers, and don't expect many of the specific ones to be enntirely accurate.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Not enough. :D
Old Law Dawg
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

More than I can carry at one time... and that makes me sad.

I'm not sad that I have too many guns, it's just that I don't get to spend as much time with each one as I'd like to.

:cry:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Alas, none, not since the canoe accident. :shock: :(
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Ysabel Kid wrote:More than I need but not as many as I want - if I had any, of course... :wink:
DARNED TRAGIC CANOE ACCIDENTS.

whoops, channeling terry again. :D
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I haven't chased too many wild women LATELY, (been with the current wife 20 years) so yeah, the collection has grown. Might thin the herd some before the year is out.....

FWIW, as a recently divorced guy about it, he'll probably have a story of his FORMER collection he sold off..... Been there too.
Last edited by adirondakjack on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Certified gun nut
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

My usual response is "That's kind of a personal question to be asking, isn't it?"
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't think most gun owners care to discuss "How many... kinds of questions, for the same reasons most people don't care to share specifics as to their actual income, PLUS the fact that there are too many prying eyes on the internet that include potential thieves, and/or just those who are immature enough that they DID spend their money on booze, cigarettes, and loose women, so get upset when someone who was a bit more frugal and/or hard working winds up with more toys.

So don't expect many specific answers, and don't expect many of the specific ones to be enntirely accurate.

When I was in college I put my entire gun collection of four Rugers (a very good condition Ruger M77, & Super Blackhawk, and field-worn 10/22, Mk-II .22 LR), plus an old beat-up Stevens .22 LR bolt-action, and moth-eaten .32-20 Marlin all away in a tool shed that was built of concrete block, due to the fact that our house had had 5 burglaries in 4 years (only kid still at home, mom a widow, employed in small town, so on a school-day everyone KNEW we were gone all day, lived in the country, and there were no burglar alarms back then). I took off the wood (which mildewed, unfortunately :( ), and put all the metal actions in a 2 ft. x 4 ft. plastic tray filled with motor oil. That got covered with a sheet of plywood, and placed under typical tool-shed junk, then the door was reinforced so at least it would require some sore toes to kick it in. A few years later, I hear one of my nephews at a family picnic talking about his uncle (me) who "has a whole building on his mom's farm, filled with all kinds of guns - I think he even has some machine-guns..." Granted, he was in sixth grade at the time, and kids say all kinds of stuff at that age, but how was I to know if his friend had an older brother who was a drug-junkie and burglarized for a living, or a LEO looking for a bonus for finding illegal 'machineguns' (and who might plant 'evidence' once he found out I didn't have anything that glamorous)...? After that day, I became a bit more reserved about who saw what.

Granted, in this day and age, most of us have high-quality gun-safes instead of plastic bins in tool-sheds, and at least one layer of burglar alarms (preferably two redundant systems with different power supplies, different notification technology, and different vendors), but I still don't look for many people to advertise how many guns they have.

Unfortunately, the real sad part is not that there are thieves out there, for that's always been true, but the fact that our government has grown so paranoid of its own citizens (subjects) that any of them who are in possession of even modest weaponry become targets for overzealous enforcers too timid to chase actual violent criminals, and sensationalist news media, which claims to be 'progressive' but thrives on slanted 'news' based on stereotyping.

In addition, even if John Q. Gunowner is simply burglarized by an ordinary thief, any 'cool' firearms are likely not to make it out of the evidence-locker, if some LEO decides it would be a nice Christmas gift to their brother-in-law (I've seen that happen, literally), and so much is becoming prohibited in various localities or nationally that it may even be impossible to replace.

Currently, I own a rifle of some sort, a handgun of some sort, and an old rusty shotgun, in case anyone wondered... :lol:

Seriously though, I think we all know someone who seems to have wall-to-wall guns, and many baby-boomers who are into guns have literally planned their gun collection as part of their retirement investments (not me, I use/bang-up my guns too much for any 'collector' value to remain... :oops: ). Even those of us who simply own and trade for 'shooters' may see many guns come and go over a lifetime, and though at any one time may only own ten or fifteen firearms, may cycle through ten times that many as we 'trade-up' or whatever.

When younger, I thought quantity and power were the goal, and tended to get lots of junky and 'cool looking' guns that were of little practical value, and not even all that useful in case of a Russian Zombie attack. The good news was that when we started having kids, needing to add rooms to the house, replacing water heaters, etc., those guns sold easily to other equally naive gun-dudes, and enough money was left over to get into leverguns. I realized that although the Shorty-AR with lots of rails looked really cool, if I had to actually go outside and SHOOT something that was eating my goats or chickens in the middle of the night, or even a 'bad guy', a Rossi .45 Colt levergun with the right sights/light was far more practical, didn't leave me deaf and blinded by flash, and would do just fine. Easier to reload for, too.

Perhaps instead of asking who the 'guy with the most guns' is, a better question would be how others fend-off that question when asked. I'm always amazed that anyone will ask "How many guns do you own, anyway...?", and expect an honest answer - sometimes I just reply by asking "How much money do you make before taxes, anyway...?", to see their perplexed look that changes into a nod of understanding as they realize the inappropriateness of the question. Other times I may substitute a far more personal question involving marital relations and so forth, depending on how well I know the asker.

ON THE OTHER HAND - I think those who feel comfortable 'sharing' such things can and should do so, so the non-gun-owning public realizes that it isn't 'normal' to just own one or two guns, any more than it would be for a golfer to just own one or two golf clubs. Any stamp collectors just have five or six stamps...? :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Folks often assume because all they ever see is a fellow going to and from his car during deer season with a single cased rifle, that's all he's got.... That'd be like assuming Jay Leno had one car because he only drives one at a time......

By even the most conservative of estimates, there are 150-200 MILLION guns in the US. Given we only have about that many adults who are not felons, and half of those are "anti", and half of the remainder are women (typically don't OWN their own guns if married, though a substantial minority do), ya KNOW the "average" gun owner has more'n one....
Certified gun nut
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

If I had any Guns I would like to have about a hunnert. I joined this forum to see what all the fuss was about and to get information on a Win Mod 53 with SS barrel. Well lets just say it didn't stop there.
Do U think "They" would look into a Leverguns forum to look for some one trying to to overthrow the Gubment ?
Well U got Me curious, I am going to go count and I'll leave My shoes on.
Oh that song, I've used it here many times. What was Yesterday ?
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

More than a few, and less than too many :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Have you hugged your rifle today?
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I can understand the hesitation or lack of response to my question. I thought about saying don't include your address with the amount of guns you have. :D

I can understand it when someone tells me he's got 200 guns. If he bought'em right it's an investment. Crude question? Don't think so any more than how many kids do you have, or cars, or bows. Now how much money you got in the bank or what's your net worth?--that's crude. Here in this part of the midwest when someone asks you how many acres you farm or own you tell them and think nothing about it.

I knew many would not like to say how many guns they have and that's fine and proper. But, once you get to 20+ lever guns hadn't you just as well spill the beans? :D

If I get 0 response, I'll still be happy.

Don
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I ALWAYS ANSWER THAT NOSY QUESTION WITH ANOTHER NOSY QUESTION : SO WHAT SIZE BRA DOES YOUR WIFE WEAR ???
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Just the one thats wired to one of the doors or is it one of the windows.
WY2000
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Terry Murbach wrote:I ALWAYS ANSWER THAT NOSY QUESTION WITH ANOTHER NOSY QUESTION : SO WHAT SIZE BRA DOES YOUR WIFE WEAR ???
:lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Ysabel Kid wrote:More than I need but not as many as I want...
+1
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

BlaineG wrote:
Terry Murbach wrote:I ALWAYS ANSWER THAT NOSY QUESTION WITH ANOTHER NOSY QUESTION : SO WHAT SIZE BRA DOES YOUR WIFE WEAR ???
:lol:
Same as with my guns, not enough but more than i need. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Ysabel Kid wrote:More than I need but not as many as I want - if I had any, of course... :wink:
Agreed!
phc45-70
Levergunner 1.0

Post by phc45-70 »

Though I have owned quite a few more, I now have 8. 4 long and 4 handguns and may get rid of 1 or 2 of these but I have quite enough ammo for each. Can't see hoarding a lot of anything except maybe ammo ----------- and maybe toilet paper.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Terry,

As a bachelor I'll let you find her and then you tell me. :D

Don
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Revised version.

What's the most guns you ever heard of anyone owning?

You can add: "Not me," even if it is you.
Don
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

38C , i only know this because i got stuck folding laundry today
----- Doug
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Once, back when I had just started trapping, I asked a farmer how much land he had. He got pissy and asked how much I had. I forget what I told him, but I remember thinking in the back of my mind that he must be a pretty ignorant man, because apparently he didn't realize that was a matter of public record. Heck, I didn't tell him i had a platt map book for the whole county and knew his name therefore I could look it up without to much trouble but just figured I ask instead. Oh well. Now I just look it up and don't ask. there are a lot of people around that don't realize how much I know and can find out about the land they own through strictly public information.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

jnyork wrote:Alas, none, not since the canoe accident. :shock: :(

Dang... Me too! :?

Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Guy with the most guns....................wins!

you guys that answered OSOK caliber question, kinda gives it away...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

OK.
I have 40 but it is no big deal. Lots of guys have MANY more than that.

I just took a long road trip, 2100 miles and I am far from home still, to catalogue almost 200 Model 1892 rifles for my research. The first stop after leaving Hosuton was Tulsa, OK. The Davis Arms & Historical Museum is located there. They had 37 Model 1892 rifles which I got data on. That made up just .00284% of the original collectors guns!! He had 13,000 firearms in his collection and you can go see them for free! They do ask that you make a "suggested donation" of $5. I gave them $20. It is an absolutely amazing collection. Not spectacular condition in the Winchesters but the number of guns is mind boggling.
http://www.thegunmuseum.com/

If you happen to have Winchester Model 1892 rifles and would like to add to the research please read this post and contact me. I now have looked at just over 2100 rifles.
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ey#p343093

Thanks,
Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

my collection is way down in numbers. in fact i'm down to only one true lever gun. but I have enough to cover any hunting need I can think of and that keeps me happy. Hunting is my primary reason for firearm ownership. I don't plink much anymore. I use my air rifle for that. Most of hunting is done with longbow or flintlock or shotgun. About 12 years ago, that was all that owned. I have a few more now, but not many. Don't know that it really matters how many so long as one is happy and content with the blessings they are offered.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot