Rifle cleaning brushes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Rifle cleaning brushes

Post by J Miller »

It seems that every time I go to clean my rifles I pick up the loosest fitting bore brush in the box. Then I have to dig around for a less used one.

I've decided that the next time I buy brushes I want to buy a bulk pack of the things.
Normally I buy Kleen Bore brand cos that's what my rod is and I don't know what the thread pitch is. No confusion that way.

What do you guys who shoot a lot buy as far as brass/bronze bore brushes?
What brand(s) do you find to last the longest?
Where can you buy them in multiple packages to save a buck or three?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Rifle cleaning brushes

Post by Old Savage »

Personally with a few rifles with 1000 to 1450 rds through them I never use brushes and they all will do and inch or better. I use Sweets or Cr10 to remove the copper then Breakfree or Hoppe's or the like or Shooter's Choice ( think that tends to have less shot deviation with a first shot after cleaning). Just cottton patches.
Last edited by Old Savage on Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I found copper "chore boys" and just wrap a little around a decent fitting brush, and then follow up with patches soaked with FP10 followed by a few dry ones.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Buy 'em bulk from Brownell's, I use the Dewey brushes to fit my Dewey rods.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

3leggedturtle wrote:I found copper "chore boys" and just wrap a little around a decent fitting brush, and then follow up with patches soaked with FP10 followed by a few dry ones.
Couldn't have said it better....except I use CLP instead of FP10. And I don't clean every time I shoot one. I just clean maybe a couple of times a year.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

J Miller wrote:It seems that every time I go to clean my rifles I pick up the loosest fitting bore brush in the box. Then I have to dig around for a less used one.
Joe
If you don't want to use the worn out ones, throw them away, then you wont grab one when looking for a good one.

I keep my brushes and jag tips in a small compartmented tackle box, the pocket sized one. Its simple to keep them separated for sizes, and worn ones could be put in one section. I use a couple worn ones for wrapping a patch around when cleaning black powder pistols, but if they aren't useful, you may as well throw them away.

I think most cleaning brushes are a standard size at this point, other than the odd looking military ones with the long shank made for the M-16 cleaning rods. I use those rods, but have the adapter to use standard rod tips. I recall years ago that one commercial maker used a different size, but I don't recall them being around in ages.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I get either Dewey or Pro Shot brushes buy the dozen in whatever calibers I have .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Could be they are standardized now, don't know for sure.

I never throw a brush away unless it's totally totaled. Generally you can use them for other things besides bores.

jnyork, will check them out.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

6pt-sika wrote:I get either Dewey or Pro Shot brushes buy the dozen in whatever calibers I have .
Where?

Joe
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Joe, I by whatever brand, I can find in the caliber needed and they fit.
If you want to extend the life of your brushes, spray them out with break cleaner after you use them.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

salvo wrote:Joe, I by whatever brand, I can find in the caliber needed and they fit.
If you want to extend the life of your brushes, spray them out with break cleaner after you use them.
Scott,
I do that when I think of it. I'm just trying to get a handle on who carries the stupid things in bulk packages.

I suppose in lieu of that I'll snag a bunch next gun show I go to. Next month I think.

Joe
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

J Miller wrote:
salvo wrote: I'm just trying to get a handle on who carries the stupid things in bulk packages.
Brownell's, Joe, Brownells.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Midway sells Tipton brushes singly and in packages of 3 and 10.

And as salvo posted, spraying the brush with a cleaner after brushing will extend the useful life of the brush.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

J Miller wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:I get either Dewey or Pro Shot brushes buy the dozen in whatever calibers I have .
Where?

Joe

Dewey can be gotten from Brownell's and I think Midway !

Pro Shot I usually pick up at gunshows . Here in Virginia usually someone is selling Pro Shot products at every show !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Joe -- Your thread size for your rods is 8x32. Get all you want at Midway, Brownells, and the like.

I like the new-fangled (recent-fangled) pull through ropes with the built in bore brush. I use em regularly and get great results. Fast and easy to use. I only go to the rods after 500 or so rounds for a get down to the bare bore cleaning, then foul the bore with about 5 shots and then back to the pull through rope/bore brush for another 500 rounds.

I get good accuracy using this method.
ED
Yer never too old
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

I have not used a brush in the last few years, except on newly acquired (used) guns that have a crude buildup that you can visually see. Once I discovered how good Wipe Out is, there is no need for brushes anymore. However, I do use many more patches now than in the past. It takes more because the Wipe Out works.

There is a liquid version in addition to the foam and I use it more often than the foam, but both work well. As the add says, try it on a barrel that you think is clean. I did, and threw the other cleaners away.

http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipeout.htm
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I buy the .50 caliber size new and by the time I throw them out, they are loose in a .30-30. When too big for the .460, they go to the .452, then the .446, then .432, then .402, then .377, then .358, then .338/331, then .323, and finally .311...pretty ugly once they get down to that size. Cost me a buck each at the gun show loose/no name.
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

I tend to disagree.

Tipton best brush set, with brass shank and brass core. Packed in a way, caliber is easily identified.

When the bristles are too laid back, scrubbing action is nil ... discard them before this.

Use Jags and top quality patches, and brushes only when heavily leaded ...

Hermann

( Break Free and brushing WILL get your bore cleaner - the Mil thought it that way, and it still works )

Brushes LOOSEN dirt, Patches take and transport Gunk out of the bore!!

( spray through or brush with oil, and then gun muzzle down, will get gunk out, also! )

NO dry patches until Bore is clean, or you´re lapping the bore!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

salvo wrote:Joe, I by whatever brand, I can find in the caliber needed and they fit.

An old friend showed me the trick of using the smallest jar he could get (he used a mayo jar) and putting Coleman fuel in it. He dipped his brushes in it to clean them. I did it for a long while, but fell out of the habit. It does seem to make the brushes last longer.

Brake cleaner can be some nasty stuff.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Malamute wrote:

An old friend showed me the trick of using the smallest jar he could get (he used a mayo jar) and putting Coleman fuel in it. He dipped his brushes in it to clean them. I did it for a long while, but fell out of the habit. It does seem to make the brushes last longer.

Brake cleaner can be some nasty stuff.
I use my Coleman fuel in my camp stoves and lanterns.
Yep break clean "is", never mind "can be" some nasty stuff. But it works and if used carefully outside is no problem.

It's only when you chase spiders around the basement with it cos your wife hates them is when you get stoned in a hurry. After that I told her to make friends with the spiders or kill 'em herself. :lol:

Joe