Saddle Ring Leather Wrap

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

Saddle Ring Leather Wrap

Post by 1886 »

Anyone tried wrapping a saddle ring with leather. If so, please share. Thanks, 1886.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Saddle Ring Leather Wrap

Post by Malamute »

I just removed mine and filled the hole with a plug screw.

Last edited by Malamute on Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

This is all I ever do, 1886

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd like to know how many people with "saddle ring" rifles or carbines...
  • ...actually USE the saddle rings for hanging the rifle on saddles or elsewhere...
Are they actually used/useful, or just 'decorations' from a bygone era...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

1886 wrote:Anyone tried wrapping a saddle ring with leather. If so, please share. Thanks, 1886.
OK, let me apologize up front for posting since I have nothing to contribute to this question.
No, I've never wrapped a saddle ring.
One time I bought a receiver screw with built in saddle ring for my 9422 and it had a thong on it like Pete44ru's pic shows. The ring/ screw was sealed in a plastic bag and rusted under the thong. I removed the thong and cleaned the rust off the ring.

I never have liked the leather thongs on saddle rings. To me they look like the silly fringed clothes worn by the 50s Hollywood cowboy wannabees and some of the earlier Country and Western singers. Totally sissified.

If the saddle ring bothered me, and they don't, I'd do what Malamute does, remove it and plug it.
AJMD429 wrote:I'd like to know how many people with "saddle ring" rifles or carbines...
  • ...actually USE the saddle rings for hanging the rifle on saddles or elsewhere...
I have not as of yet because I have no horse to ride. And because prior to Junior's threads about the "sling rings" .... (remember Junior?) I had never heard of the over the shoulder slings like the old horse cavalry used.
Since I'm in IL and there is no place to actually use a rifle, I haven't tried one. Perhaps when I leave here I'll give it a try.

I believe for the most part they are indeed decorations from a bygone era. But to me they look at home on a carbine or Trapper. But not on a rifle.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

AJMD429 wrote:I'd like to know how many people with "saddle ring" rifles or carbines...
This comes up now and then.

E veryone "knows" that they were used to hang the gun of the saddle horn, but nobodies come up with a period photo of it being done, nor a conteporary period account of anyone carrying them that way. I knew one guy that tried it with an old 94 carbine. He didnt notice that he had dropped it a couple miles back along the trail, but he managed to find the gun. He said he never tried it again.

I hear now and then people think it's to tie the gun in the scabbard, but I haven't figured out how that would actually work, that part of the gun is down inside the scabbard, it would be rather difficult to do (and undo), and, once again, we don't have any period accounts of it ever being done. Havent seen any old scabbards with evidence of it being done either. The only pocture I'm aware of of Winchester hanging off sadeles was in Snooky Williamsons book, and, it looks like the rifles (not carbines) were hung off the saddles with a cord looped thru the lever around the wrist, the horses also have pistol belts hanging off the saddle horns. I believe the picture was an expedient, the guys were in a town they couldn't carry guns in, (they bystanders look pretty civilized) so left them on the horses in that manner, I seriously doubt they carried them that way. It's interesting that it's the only picture of winchesters on a horse in that fashion,aand they are not carbines. They wouldn't have sling rings on them anyway. If so, they would have been two of the rarest 1886's varients known (I've never seen a ring on an 1886 rifle), and they were side by side. The picture looks like the thong was around the wrist of the stock anyway.

I think its mainly a holdover from Winchester wanting to interest the Army in its carbines, then just stayed on because of momentum, or however you want to term it. For my part, if faced with a choice of identical guns with and without rings, I'd choose the without ring gun. They look "old timey", but rattle and scratch the reciever, at least all the old ones I've seen. I've seen a fairly large number of old Winchesters with the rings removed, both cut off or unscrewed. Most had the receiver scarred up from the ring rubbing on it.

So, if you just like them, cool, that's plenty of reason to have one, but unless you want to carry them with a cavalry type sling, they don't serve much purpose, and I havent seen much evidence they ever did.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Malamute wrote:So, if you just like them, cool, that's plenty of reason to have one, but unless you want to carry them with a cavalry type sling, they don't serve much purpose, and I havent seen much evidence they ever did.
J Miller wrote: ...because prior to Junior's threads about the "sling rings" .... (remember Junior?) I had never heard of the over the shoulder slings like the old horse cavalry used.
I guess I missed that part - was the setup Junior showed really what the calvary riders used...?
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

They looked like this,

http://www.rollanet.org/~stacyw/us_1885 ... _sling.htm

The older ones were very similar, I'm not sure what the difference is, other than the older ones were black.

In this Frederick Remington painting, you can see them wearing the slings, but nobody has the guns attached.

http://www.terminartors.com/files/artwo ... Plains.jpg

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

COSteve wrote:I got bored a couple of weeks ago and happened upon a piece of leather. So I got to fiddling with in on my carbine and I like the way it turned out.

Steve - that looks great. It would make a great post (hint hint) to do a step-by-step picture tutorial of how you wraped that lever so tightly (hint hint)... :D
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

AJMD429,

Junior's sling is this one:

http://www.castbullet.com/srsling.htm

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Check out this website for carbine slings - First Virginia Cavalry Equipment
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I use Juniors sling and it's the cats meow. It's on a 16" barreled 94 Wrangler in 32 Special. Which I use for still hunitng. I've installed saddle rings on other 94's so I can use the sling. If you have a saddle ring and like to cover alot ground hunting you don't what your missing.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Hagler wrote:AJMD429,

Junior's sling is this one:

Shawn

LOL, this is the original single point sling. Those black rifle guys just think they thought it up. :lol:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

I was always wondering if one of those single point slings would work on my trapper.
Anyone here use one of the newer single points out there?
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Both my 94 and 9422 have saddle rings with leather thongs, the only problem I occasionally get is when the thong slips and gets between the lever and the lower tang.
Neither have any real use to me but they just look right on a carbine.
The one on the 9422 (which I got off Joe Miller) does serve as a take down screw, and it's easier to use than a coin.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've used Junior's Sling for almost as long as I've had my Rossi. It works as advertised. Very handy.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

A 30/30 trapper with a rawhide lace loop through the saddle ring hangs on a peg next to my bed, for things that go bump in the night. The ring is not wrapped as such, but the rawhide does keep the ring from wearing a mark on the receivers side.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Mine look a lot like COsteve's. Another one i've done looks like a key hole with a hole in the
millde and the tail drawn through like a slip knot.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

If you spin your 92 to show off don't put thongs on the ring. They flop into the breech block as it cycles and hang up the spin, then the gun falls on the floor. Don't ask how I know.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I had the end of the leather get between the lever and the stock (remember the trigger block safety on a 94?). Needless to say the coyote got away.

I removed the ring that evening.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

20cows wrote:I had the end of the leather get between the lever and the stock (remember the trigger block safety on a 94?). Needless to say the coyote got away.

I removed the ring that evening.

I always figured that was a really good reason (other than the high likelyhood of losing the gun) to not think of putting a loop long enough to carry the gun over a saddle horn, and likely a reason why nobody really did that that I've ever heard of, or not for long if they ever actually tried it. More of a liabilty than advantage.

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

You guys with your leather 'issues' are just sissys! :mrgreen:
Steve
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I've been using the Junior Doughty Saddle Ring Sling since Junior first offered them several years ago, an excellent product.
I wonder how Junior is doing? He's a straight shooter.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Image[/quote]
Now you guys have me wanting to get a "single point sling" for my saddle-ring Rossi; I never could quite get excited about ones for the AR-15 Shorty like everyone seems to think are cool, because I just don't roam the woods and fields with an AR 'at the ready'.
firefuzz wrote:LOL, this is the original single point sling. Those black rifle guys just think they thought it up.
Yep. That's just what I was thinking... :lol:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

AJMD429 wrote:Image
Now you guys have me wanting to get a "single point sling" for my saddle-ring Rossi... 8)

I never could quite get excited about ones for the AR-15 Shorty like everyone seems to think are cool, because I just don't roam the woods and fields with an AR 'at the ready'.
firefuzz wrote:LOL, this is the original single point sling. Those black rifle guys just think they thought it up.
Yep. That's just what I was thinking... :lol:

Woody
Levergunner

Post by Woody »

FYI
In addition to the Saddle Ring attaching to the rider there was a short boot attached to the saddle that trapped the end of the barrel to keep the rifle under control while riding. The idea here is to keep the rifle with the trooper when he exits his saddle, falls off, or gets knocked off. With his rifle he is still an effective fighter but without it he is just a target. Now days the saddle ring is pretty much a decoration so leather sounds good :)
Woody