C. Sharps Vs. Shiloh Sharps

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

C. Sharps Vs. Shiloh Sharps

Post by Jarhead »

I know Shiloh doesn't make an 1885. I just picked this one up. Anyway, who makes a better rifle? C. Sharps uses solid stock for their action...Shiloh uses cast. Any knowledge or opinions?
Here's a pic of my 1885 C. Sharps 45/70 W/#1 30" heavy octagon tappered barrel.

Semper Fi
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: C. Sharps Vs. Shiloh Sharps

Post by Griff »

I like Shilohs better, but C.Sharps are also great gunmakers. I like their 1885s better than I like their other offerings. And as for "cast" Shiloh uses 4140 steel, I don't feel it's anywhere near likely to fail. What I really like about Shiloh is that they take ownership of the whole process by doin' it all in-house.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I don't think either one is necessarily better than the other. They are both extreme quality backed up with great customer service and satisfaction.
C Sharps stocks are a bit different in size and shape than the shilohs, and other than that and the makers marks on the barrel, there's not enough difference to get worked up about.
I have a CSA and am expecting anyday now to get the "letter" on my new Shiloh..
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

As for the M1885s, based upon my observation and handling of Meachams and Ballards to my Winchester M1885s, I think the Meacham rifles and the Ballard M1885s have it all over the C. Sharps. The C. Sharps M1885 that I have seen are nice, but the Meachams and Ballards are definitely a cut above, and so is the cost.

http://www.meachamrifles.com/
http://www.ballardarms.com/

If you mean the Sharps M1874, I have C. Sharps and Shiloh M1874 clones. I have also examined numerous other rifles made by both. The C. Sharps is a good rifle, but I do believe that the Shiloh is a notch above – even their standard run-of-the-mill rifles.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Thanks for your input gentlemen. Looks like both are mighty fine firearms. I'm lookin' for a 1885 'original' Winchester now, but in no hurry. The 'Bore' is everything to me, so I am taking my time.
Semper Fi