Some 32-20 odds and ends?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Some 32-20 odds and ends?

Post by Canuck Bob »

I gotta order in much of my supplies. So to avoid grief I've got a couple of questions about reloading. I've got Rem cases and factory ammo. Starline are unavailable at this time in Canada. Its for a new Winoku 92 TD rifle.

I'm considering 100 grain jacketed bullets, either Speer Gold Dots or Hornady XTP. Terminal performance is not an issue but wondering if one demonstrates a tendency to better accuracy in the 32-20? I've found some commercial cast bullets at .313 PB. so that is covered for now.

I read somewhere that a guy shrunk his 32-20 groups with Rem 6 1/2 primers. Anyone have a prefered primer? I'm planning medium loads (Waters' Pets and Paco's light Class 2, he really stokes up his class 3 loads!). I like 70% case capacity as a minimum for powder charges if that matters to a primer choice. I prefer that double charges make a mess rather than go bang. Also my Winoku 92 has the dreaded rebound hammer and a reputation for light strikes.

I found a Lee die set for 32-20 locally (a small miracle) and read somewhere that the expander plug for 32 S&W Long was good for cast bullets, agree? Also I'm ordering in a FC die for the 32-20 from some outfit called Lee Factory Sales, are they reputable?

Finally, I load well below max for all cartridges. I'm getting the Lee dippers but was wondering about the Lee scale, anyone ever found one scary inaccurate or terribly inconsistent?
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Re: Some 32-20 odds and ends?

Post by Kansas Ed »

I load for the 32-20 and really don't have much preference over components. Neither does my rifle. In the 92 they can be pushed pretty hard, which typically requires a tougher bullet. Cast may be your way to go if pushing it a little. I've run a 100gr jacketed bullet in mine to over 1900 fps.

My main point of posting though is the Lee Safety Scale. IMO this is the most dangerous piece of equipment a person can have on his loading bench. The beam is prone to getting slightly out of alignment and reading lighter than what you actually have. I threw mine away, my brother did the same with his, and I've run across others who have had the exact same experience. My preference would be to spend a little extra and buy RCBS, Lyman, or Dillon.

Ed
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I heard some bad things about Lee Factory sales , but that was when reloading hoarding was going on and I think it was because Lee Percision couldn't keep up with demand. I like the Factory Crimp die for the 32-20 , it makes crimping a little easier. Just take it slow when seating bullets and you won't collapse a case neck. You could also order directly from Lee.

The Hornady's shoot good , but I've gone to using Rainier 100gr plated bullets. They are about $50 for 500 and they hold up great. I use 13 gr of H110 (Speer Manual) at 1900 fps in my Marlin 94. I've gone to using a $30 digital scale to set up the powder measurer. Lee dippers work fine , just not a lot of room for fine tuning .
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Bob,
I load my 32-20s with the 115 grain bullets and just light plinking/squirrel loads. The Lee Factory Crimp dies are wonderful for the "dash" cartridges. I have a bunch of them in other calibers too. I'm a caster but bought bullets for the 32-20. Cheaper than molds, sizing dies etc.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My old 92 rifle really likes the XTP HP 100 grain bullets with 5744 powder.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks guys, Rainier bullets are not an option up here, I tried.

The gun is a new Winchester 92 from Japan.

I will be going with a different powder scale, mainly for convenience and faster damping.

If I go anything other than Lee dies I must start bringing in all my major cost items from the US. We tend to get hammered by duties and brokerage fees at the border based on the total invoice.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Biggest thing I found with the 32-20 or any cartrige is just be sure the bullet is the best fit possible to the throat area. Jacket bullets are a bit more forgiving but if the throat is a .314 then a .312 or smaller jacket bullet is not going to shoot the best.
I make a lead throat slug for all my rifles. I normally only shoot cast but I still want to know what that throat diameter is. Throat size bullets always shoot better.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

missionary5155 wrote:I make a lead throat slug for all my rifles. I normally only shoot cast but I still want to know what that throat diameter is. Throat size bullets always shoot better.
That would make a really cool "how-to" post showing how to make the slug, and what to measure or do with the information. . . . so some of us dummies could learn to do it, if you're ever so inclined and have the time...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

Be sure to check the throat depth on your new 92. I have a Browning 53 (essentially the same gun make by the same outfit in Japan) with a very short throat that will only shoot bullets make for the 32-20 (the bullet curvature begins at the cannelure). Most presently made bullets (like the XTP) remain straight for while above the cannelure, making loaded rounds impossible to chamber. Many companies make lead bullets specifically contoured for the 32-20 and are labeled as such.

I was able to buy Remington 32-20 jacketed softpoint bullets for years, but they haven't been available for some time. I haven't found another jacketed alternative yet.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks everyone. Just got back from a city wide sweep. Found a Lyman die set with the shell holder included for about $50 bucks. Some 100gr. XTPs for load development. I decided on the RCBS 10-10 scale, pricey but the plastic bodied scales left a poor feeling in my gut. My vehicles aren't beauties but they run on premium tires. I've decided to treat my powder charges with the same expensive but reassuring method.

In The Woods, I just compared my XTPs to a loaded Rem factory round. The cannelure does seem to be a little far back in comparison. My rifle is the take down and with good visual access to the chamber it seems to end abruptly at the case mouth with no throat in the barrel like you describe. I'll be cautious. My Speer manual notes that Rem brass will likely need trimming shorter to use jacketed bullets.