Crimping for Accuracy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Crimping for Accuracy

Post by Bigahh »

Would like some expert opinions about crimping. I recently purchased a used Remmy 700 Mountain Rifle in 30-06. It has the little skinny barrel that I hate, but I could not pass up a good deal, and plan on adding a new barrel in the future. I found out this week the rifle shoots wonderful with any load that has a slight crimp from a lee Factory crimp Die crimped on the cannelure. Shooting the same load and not crimping seems to open up the groups by a large margin. I am using all Hornady Bullets at my range session. The question I have is....Can I or should I crimp a bullet that does not have a Cannelure? A good example would be a Nosler Bullet. Is crimping effective on a Bullet like this ? I could never get decent accuracy out of Noslers Like I can with a Hornady, and I believe now it is due to crimping. I tested this out on my BLR today also. I loaded up 5 shells each with and without crimping, and crimping on the Cannelure made my groups much tighter. Just under an inch with crimping to almost 2 inches with no crimp. It must be something to do with initial pressures.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: Crimping for Accuracy

Post by iceman »

I have crimped bullets out of the crimp groove with the Lee FCD and have had no ill effects. I have pulled and looked at the bullets and there is a small indentation in the jacket. I have never tested with or without crimp because I usually always crimp when I can. Give it a try and let us know.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Yes, the FCD does crimp well on non cannelured or on bullets where the OAL does not use the factory cannelure.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have never crimped bullets w/o a crimp grove in any bolt rifle. Never seen the need. But I do have a very tight neck tension on the bullets.

For lever guns or military bolt guns where the bullets do have a crimp grove and are battered by the magazines I do crimp them.

From what I remember I didn't have that much accuracy variation either.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

I always crimp everything I load with the Lee FCD, even those bullets without a cannelure. For bullets (and boolits) used in my leverguns, all have a crimp groove that I use, and these get a moderate, noticeable crimp. If I'm crimping calibers that I use in bolt action rifles, I normally set my crimp die to just "bump" them a little. My thinking here is that it might equalize case tension all the way around the bullet at the case mouth. I don't crimp such ammo really hard enough to create a crimp groove, just to equalize tension. I've not tested this formally, but bullets crimped this way do tend to group well. This has been my own notion--not something I've read about and tried.