Nosler ballistic silvertip 30-30 bullet

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Nosler ballistic silvertip 30-30 bullet

Post by Bigahh »

Shooting my rifles at the cabin all this week, and bought a box of the new Nosler Ballistic Silvertips 150 grain 30-30 bullet. Nosler emailed me a load data sheet, and IMR4895 is suppose to be the most accurate powder. I did not try that powder as the store didnt have any, but worked up a load with Varget. 34.5 grains is listed as a max load. I am getting good accuracy with 34 grains. 1 1/4 inch groups with an average muzzle velocity of 2180 fps. I will try out some W748 tomorrow as long as the weather holds out. Suppose to get 12-17 inches of snow starting sometime tomorrow. May be doing nothing but stoking the wood burner. If anyone is interested in the load data for this bullet just let me know, and I will email it off to you.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Nosler ballistic silvertip 30-30 bullet

Post by kimwcook »

What ya shootin' those boulets out of there pilgrim? Sounds like an accurate load.
Old Law Dawg
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

My Marlin 336, with a Leupold 1.75 x 6
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

FWIW - my friend Albert used a 30-30 to cull axis does last year. He used whatever ammo he had on hand, or someone gave to him. Among the loads was Remington 150 gr CL, Winchester 170 gr PP and Federal 125 gr JHP. Eventually he got the Winchester Supreme that features the 150gr Ballistic Silvertip CT from Nosler. He in a few over 40 does that he shot the Ballistic Silvertip was amazing. He told me any decent shot into the chest out to 125 yards put the deer right down, and that just didn't happen consistently with any of the other ammo he used. He also said exit holes were about 50/50, but all the deer hit with the BST went right down. Albert is a real cowboy with no computer, magazine subscriptions or outside knowledge of ballistics and ammunition products. When he recites an observation you can bet it is exactly as it happened with no bias or exaggeration. I think his experience is a pretty good testament for the Ballistic Silvertip bullets!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

When Joe 1st mentioned this Bullet I wondered how its BC measured up to the Speer Deepcurl. Speer= .255 Nosler= .232, I believe Speer is still tops in that department other than the Gummy Tips which don't tickle my Fancy.