On T Win 94 rear sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

On T Win 94 rear sight

Post by pwl44m »

In the same Candy store that has the 73 is a 94 in 30-30.
My question. It has a King rear sight and the elevator is right up against the receiver with no room to raise it any higher. It looks really funny. The distance from the Rec to the dovetail for the sight seems really close and that King sight isn't near as long as an original win sight. What is going on here.I know this isn't much info but I didn't have My camera with Me.
edited to add- the ser # is in the 800 k range.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Re: On T Win 94 rear sight

Post by Pop Watts »

Hi Terry,
I have a carbine of similar vintage and it has a ladder rear sight and welded post front sight.
The ladder sight is quite close to the receiver.
Possibly the 30-30 had a ladder sight that was replaced and hence the lack of room for elevation adjustment.
Just one possability.
Pop.
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

Perhaps, someone has installed the wrong rear sight or maybe the wrong elevator(assuming it's just the notched ladder type)? Or perhaps turn the elevator around?
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, Winchester machined the Carbine rear sight dovetail in three different positions over the entire production run.

Carbines with a SN under about 960,000 have the dovetail 2-3/8" ahead of the receiver.

Carbines SN 960,000 & 1,3000,000 have the dovetail 3-1/16" ahead of the receiver.

Carbines beginning about SN 1,100.000 (Yes, Martha, there WAS an overlap) had the dovetail at 4".

The Rifle rear sight dovetail locations varied by exactly 1" - the same as the difference in forend lengths available, with the dovetail cut closer to the receiver on Rifles with a short forend.

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I think Pop is probably right but why would they replace it with something that looks so rediculous (maybe His name was Cooter) As far as turning the elevator around that would put the little thumb pusher thinga ma jigger under the sight. This is a dual ladder elevator.
Thx Pete for the numbers, I'll have to remember those should I go look at it again.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If by "dual ladder" elevator you mean the folded sheet metal type that straddles the sight's rear longleaf from underneath - I believe that should make the sight a Marble's, sometimes installed by Winchester as an option (AFAIK).

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Pete44ru wrote:If by "dual ladder" elevator you mean the folded sheet metal type that straddles the sight's rear longleaf from underneath - I believe that should make the sight a Marble's, sometimes installed by Winchester as an option (AFAIK).

That is the ladder I am talking about. The top of the sight just above the dovetail says King. While I have heard of King sights I can't understand what would possibly be the differance of a King , Marbles or Redfield over a stock Win sight.
Personaly I like the idea of the folding ladder rear sight.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Well, the difference is that a rifle can be set up with tow different zeroes - the reason I put one (not a Marble's) on my .375 BB94XTR was that I wanted a folding barrel sight for a short-range zero, with a Lyman tang sight zeroed for longer, more deliberate shots (with an issue-height front sight blade).

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Oh I uderstand that diff. It is the diff in a stock sight and a Marbles etc barrel mounted I don't under stand. Maybe I just can't see the Forest for all the Trees. I guess what I will have to do is pull out some Guns with both and se if I can see the diff. The only possible diff I can imagine in My pea brain would be the Notch.