PRICE CHECK - Marlin in 35 Rem

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

PRICE CHECK - Marlin in 35 Rem

Post by SteveR »

What would a good price for one made in the early 50's and has wear and some rusting- not pittted?

Thanks,
Steve
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin in 35 Rem question

Post by 6pt-sika »

Besides conditon , the type or style can make a difference .

They made them in three configurations 336A , 336SC and 336RC back then .

The A and SC were similar in that the only difference was barrel length . They had 2/3 rds length mags and no barrel bands . And personally I rank them as more in value then a RC . The A had a 24" barrel and the SC had a 20" barrel .

A model 336RC from that time period had a full lngth mag tube and barrel bands .

For me a 336A and 336SC in that shape with a good bore might be worth as much as $300 but I'd want a real good look at the exterior rust . In a 336RC I would most likley pass on a rusted specimen .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

As mentioned, prices will vary by the type of 336, and also by region, as well. Generally, an A or SC will bring a bit of a premium, as well as the .35 chambering. In the condition described, around here an A or SC .35 might bring $300, but you'd have a chance of bargaining downward a bit. An RC would likely be no more than $225-250, and I'd try to sway the seller with $200 cash.
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

I bought several '50's era Marlins maybe 9 years ago for under $200 each, one in .35 rem, the rest in "30 Win" (.30-30)...The versions I got were those with the fat forend...In several I had to replace the magazine spring and follower (made of wood) and I really recommend taking the mag spring out and cleaning the tube well with solvent to remove old grease and dirt (DON'T lube it after-it does not need it). Some of the very old post war models were not drilled and tapped for scope mounting...I had some of both.

They are very well made rifles and with a thorough cleaning a littel grease in teh works, are accurate off hand shooters...I think Numrich stil has parts...

www.gunpartscorp.com

Hope you enjoy your old Marlins-they are still real bargains.

mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Re: PRICE CHECK - Marlin in 35 Rem

Post by SteveR »

Thanks for the replies.

They want 300.00 and the stock is beat up, so I would be replacing the rear stock at the very least.

I might make an offer and see if the seller goes for it.

Thanks again,

Steve
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: PRICE CHECK - Marlin in 35 Rem

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I just sold my very good condition 336 RC 35 Rem with millit mount/rings and Simmons 3x9 Prohunter scope for $450 plus shipping on gunbroker.

$300 is way too much for that rifle.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!