Movie, Tom Horn, tang sight?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Movie, Tom Horn, tang sight?

Post by SJPrice »

in the movie, "Tom Horn" Steve McQueen has a tang peep sight that has a base mounted to the rifle and then a pedestal with the peep sight that slides in place via a long dovetail. Does anyone know what sight this is or was it a hollywood invention.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Movie, Tom Horn, tang sight?

Post by Rube Burrows »

Not a lot of help but it may have been a custom piece.

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Tom_Horn

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080031/trivia
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I met the actor many moons ago. Not a very likeable person.
The lady from the same film was very nice , and friendly. Some of the movie people that seem to always follow the stars every step looked like (w9^$& ) . Glad they didn't stay long.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,MUTT
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Thanks Rube,

I found my answer on the second link. It was a custom job. It kind of surprises me that since Tom Horn used a 30-30 1894 and Hollywood could have "gotten it right" by simply using the right rifle and cartridge, that they chose not too.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Of Course, Hollywierd decided to use a rifle that was Bigger than McQueen...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Mutt wrote:I met the actor many moons ago. Not a very likeable person.
The lady from the same film was very nice , and friendly. Some of the movie people that seem to always follow the stars every step looked like (w9^$& ) . Glad they didn't stay long.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,MUTT

i think....if you met him when Tom Horn was filmed....
he already knew he was already very sick...and passed away
the next november 7th
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

SJ, my guess is that either Steve or someone else connected with making the movie, wanted something that you hardly EVER see, something exotic, such as that '76, instead of the usual run-of-the-mill '92, or in this case, '94. Steve knew guns.......I'll bet he had some input on the choice. That's what I'm thinkin, anyway. jd45
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I was a guard at universal movie studios for awhile in early 1965. The funny thing I found out was often actors that I was told were butt heads I sometimes got along well with and vice versa. Maybe it`s just when you catch them what kind of day they are haveing.
I would hate to be judged by any one minute snap shot in my life. I had a few do me favors without asking like buying me lunchs on sets off the bait wagon etc. Then again a few tried to get to me to look good themselves. Part of my job was keeping people quite when the camera rolled. It involved blowing a whistle when a rotating light would light and rotate on the outside of a set. I would have to stop carpenters from pounding etc. Many times other actors were loafing around. Once a well known actor I wont name yelled out to me, hey officer, ya like blowing that whistle? He thought he would use me to look good in front of some other actors I guess. He was a little wiseaker type. I yelled back, why dont cha come here and blow my whistle? That shut him up and the crowd he was trying to impress at my exspendse laughed him down.