OT What is carding?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

OT What is carding?

Post by Gobblerforge »

I've read a few times about carding in connection with bluing. What I've read indicated steel wool in involved. What? Alright, I'm lost here.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT What is carding?

Post by olyinaz »

The term "carding" seems to have come from the textile industry as it has to do with using a bristle brush (usually steel) to align fibers in a material like wool before making something out of them.

In gunsmithing it's often used to refer to steel brushing off rust in general or oxide in the bluing process.

Here's a "carding" brush from Brownell's:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2479 ... DING_BRUSH

And another:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6732 ... DING_BRUSH

A carding wheel:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9694 ... ING_WHEELS

I'm not a gunsmith nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn last night! If I've messed up here hopefully Nate or someone more familiar will correct me.

Best,
Oly
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Simply put, carding is the brushing or scratching off the rust between coats in the rust bluing process. I use the very fine wire brushes that Brownells sells and/or 0000 steel wool.

Key to carding is to remove the soft surface rust without burning thu to bare metal. I've found that boiling greatly aids loosens up the surface rust.

V/R

Mike
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

"Carding " in a liquor establishment is verifying the purchaser's age by inspecing their ID. for date of birth.

I think "carding" is brushing out the burrs & pieces of plant fiber from raw wool. Sheep are hygenically challenged.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

One "cards" wool, removing loose fibers with a short brush that looks like a card with a whole pile of little tiny spikes. the process, not unlike brushing a long-haired dog, removes the loose hairs, leaving those still attached behind. "Carding" rust does the same. Ya don't wanna take it all off (or yer back to bare metal), ya wanna remove the loose scale, leaving behind the tightly bound OXIDE that is yer bluing or browning.
Certified gun nut
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

YUP ! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You can also "CARD" a file, by using a wire brush to get metal filings out of the grooves in the file - essentially cleaning the file.

It would help assure you don't scratch the finish of whatever you file next, or embed metal flakes of different alloys in the material, possibly inciting rust.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "