Shorter chambers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

Shorter chambers

Post by 1886 »

I have a couple of leverguns that feature chambers that are on the shorter end of spec. This is a good thing but could frustrate some. I have a Browning 71 and a Marlin 336 CB .30-30 that have this feature. Initially I thought short throats were the culprit contributing to tight bolt close. After some head scratching and day dreaming it dawned on me. I tried a different sizer die. No soap. Well more head scratching and another brain storm, try another shell holder. I generally use Redding shell holders and took it for granted in my younger days that all components were pretty much uniform. Nothing could be further from the truth. Shell holders do vary in length just as sizing dies vary in length. It is cheaper to try different shell holders. So if you have tight bolt close that you can not contribute to a short throat try a shorter shell holder. It might solve your problem. Regards. 1886.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I believe that Redding also has a series of shorter shell holders specifically for adjusting your dies further than you can go otherwise.

All that is good, but if that Marlin 30-30 was mine I'd have a chamber cast done and if it was indeed an out of spec chamber I'd have it reamed out to proper specs.

But that's just me. I load all my ammo so it works in all my guns. I don't wanna mess with an odd ball.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Factory ammo works great. The chamber is just on the short end of SAAMI spec. No problem. That is a good thing. Minimal headspace is a good thing. Redding does make Competition Shell Holders and they are a super product. I own two sizes. Belted mag. and .308 headsize. I do not need them for the .30-30. I posted my experiences just in case someone else was doing a little headscratching. Thanks. 1886.