What do you all think about this 1873?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

What do you all think about this 1873?

Post by Dave »

A guy at work told me he had a Winchester he wanted me to look at. Yesterday he brought it and I was surprised to see this 1873 in 32-20. According to the serial number it was made about 1891. The bore is kind of bumpy but no real bad pits and strong rifling. The dust cover is missing. The action is snappy and the lever doesn't sag at all. Someone has put some varnish on the stocks but it would probably come right off. Overall the gun is solid and I would shoot it if I had some shells. The outside is pretty smooth. It looks like there is the letter "B" after the serial number. He wants to sell it but I don't know what to tell him about its value. I don't know about guns this old. What do you think?

Last edited by Dave on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: What do you all think about this 1873?

Post by Old Ironsights »

How good a friend? Tell him it's a tomato spike and give him a case of beer for it... :twisted: :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

$50 & I'll pay the s&H/FFL fees.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Hummm!!! Where's the cool little sliding door in the butt
plate for the cleaning rod :?:
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

casastahle wrote:Hummm!!! Where's the cool little sliding door in the butt
plate for the cleaning rod :?:

I wondered that too.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm not a good one for values on original '73's. Someone here should be able to help. It would depend on the overall shape and with your description and pictures it sounds and looks like it's in decent shape. I'd take a look at the standard online gunsites for an idea, Gunsamerica, Gunbroker, etc... Now these would just be ballpark as almost all of them are way overpriced to just overpriced, but it should give you some idea of what it's worth.

P.S. For a number of reasons I didn't get an original, but got a new Uberti. Modern steel for shooting white, good barrel and I could almost be assured it would be a decent piece as I couldn't easily put my hands on an original. And, for the asking prices of an original I wouldn't take the chance on something subpar.
Old Law Dawg
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

kimwcook wrote:and looks like it's in decent shape. I'd take a look at the standard online gunsites for an idea, Gunsamerica, Gunbroker, etc...
We did that. It seems like people are asking crazy money for some guns and not selling them. It is hard to find a gun like his. I think this gun is not in good enough to make a collector's heart beat faster, but might be good for a beginner collector. On the other hand if it was a 44 I might want it to kill deer with but since it is a 32 it isn't that great for a hunting gun. Kind of an in between gun. Not enough condition for a real collector and not enough power for deer.
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Only 38-40s and 44-40s had the trapdoor for the wooden cleaning rod. The rod was too large for a 32-20 bore so therefore no need for a trapdoor. $1500.00 would be my guess.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

These are the kind I love, so rewarding to clean up!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

cowboykell wrote:Only 38-40s and 44-40s had the trapdoor for the wooden cleaning rod. The rod was too large for a 32-20 bore so therefore no need for a trapdoor. $1500.00 would be my guess.
Didn't know that, thanks :)
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

$1000 - $1200 would be a fair price for that rifle, given it is missing the dust cover, and it's overall low average condition. 32-20s do not bring as much as the 44WCF and 38WCF all other factors being the same.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Grizzly Adams wrote:$1000 - $1200 would be a fair price for that rifle, given it is missing the dust cover, and it's overall low average condition. 32-20s do not bring as much as the 44WCF and 38WCF all other factors being the same.
Thats exactly what I was thinking and I might add that that price would be retail.------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Yep I agree with You Guys.1000-1200 for that one. this one has been around the horn several times over at the Sass classifieds and is very nice, now reduced to $2,900.. nice slide show.

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=161472
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

I know absoultly nothing about prices for any "Old" gun, but the first thing that goes through my mind when I see a gun like that one is "where have you been, and what have you done"...cool
Terry
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Maybe a Grand, but no more. Plenty rust in the screw slots and on the bottom tang. Corrosion on any metal parts is a deal breaker for me. The wood is nearly black, also an indicator of something applied over a dirty surface. .32 caliber '73s don't have the strong collector draw that .38 and .44s do.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

No finish left on the metal, just a heavy patina. The wood appears to be untouched, which is very good. 32-20 not as in high demand as 44-40 or even 38-40. I would say somewhere between $1,000 and $1,200 retail.

I should add that the '73 posted on the SASS forum is in high condition, much higher than this one. High condition '73s command a lot more money.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I was thinking a $750 tops. It is pretty beat up, lots of nick in the metal, afore mentioned rust and pitting of xternal metal and the bore.The screws actually look good ie not boogered up. Wood looks pretty sound ( couple cracks). I think the Gun would clean up very nice and be a shooter, for that it gets some points. There is a lot of work to be done to make it worth More. Of all the estimates, are those what U think it is "Worth" or what U wood actually pay for it ? I would pay $750 for it. I kinda like the small Calibers. Just My dos centavos
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

cowboykell wrote:Only 38-40s and 44-40s had the trapdoor for the wooden cleaning rod. The rod was too large for a 32-20 bore so therefore no need for a trapdoor. $1500.00 would be my guess.
I have an 1873 in .32-20, circa the 1890's and it is all original, with the exception of the front sight (which I replaced). It has the trapdoor in the butt stock...

I am confused by your insight. I do not mean to question it but I don't understand....
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

JohnB wrote:
I have an 1873 in .32-20, circa the 1890's and it is all original, with the exception of the front sight (which I replaced). It has the trapdoor in the butt stock...

I am confused by your insight. I do not mean to question it but I don't understand....
I didn't think the original 32-20's had the trapdoor in the butt stock. Your rifle maybe a special order or perhaps someone replaced the buttstock. I'm assuming the rod actually fits your barrel?
Last edited by JB on Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

JB wrote:
JohnB wrote:

I didn't think the original 32-20's had the trapdoor in the butt stock. Your rifle maybe a special order perhaps someone replaced the buttstock. I'm assuming the rod actually fits your barrel?
Actually, it does not have the rod. I just visited the Rare Winchesters website and they concur with you, so now I am REALLY puzzled...

I will need to take a closer look at the fit of the butt stock....
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

JohnB wrote:I have an 1873 in .32-20, circa the 1890's and it is all original, with the exception of the front sight (which I replaced). It has the trapdoor in the butt stock...
JohnB wrote:I just visited the Rare Winchesters website and they concur with you, so now I am REALLY puzzled...

I will need to take a closer look at the fit of the butt stock....
UH-OH! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Old Law Dawg
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

JohnB wrote:

John, is Your stock drilled to accept cleaning rods or just has buttplate with door. R the plates the same configuration or different on the 32-20 versus other calibers ? looks like a lot can go on here.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

pwl44m wrote:
JohnB wrote:

John, is Your stock drilled to accept cleaning rods or just has buttplate with door. R the plates the same configuration or different on the 32-20 versus other calibers ? looks like a lot can go on here.
Well, I also have an nice 1873 Winchester in 32-20, and it also has the trapdoor in the buttstock. The gun doesn't appear to have ever been messed with. I'd say that the trapdoor buttstocks were an manufacturing option.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I appreciate all the comments about this rifle. The guy who owns it wants a gun he can use for deer hunting so I am going to try to find a new home for this one.
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

pwl44m wrote:
JohnB wrote:

Yes, my stock is drilled for a rod....the mystery continues.... :(