Tang Sights on 1894 Win - Pre-emptive Research

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Tang Sights on 1894 Win - Pre-emptive Research

Post by J Miller »

When I get the rifle from rjohns I will eventually want to put some sort of peep sight on it.
I don't like tang sights but this rifle will be D&T'd for one. I was thinking of getting something with enough elevation so that I might go for the lever gun sillywet matches like W30WCF tells us about every so often.

What would those of you who use the tang sights suggest?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tang Sights on 1894 Win - Pre-emptive Research

Post by jdad »

The only tang sight worth mounting, for silhouette, is the new production Marbles. It is "click" adjustable, for both windage and elevation. Once you get your settings it becomes a matter of "clicks", to be on target, everytime, with the same hold.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=174097
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Midsouth has a Lyman No. 2 Tang for $65 for the M94
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Joe,
As mentioned the Marble's is probably the best for repeatability. I think the Lyman and some modern designs are probably more robust. I like the Lyman for it's simplicity, but dislike it for it's lack of windage. The Smith sight I have on my mdl 94 is not click adjustable, but has windage. I find that I don't NEED to adjust windage unless I change ammo. And, a simple mark on the staff aids in repeatability for specific ranges. The best designs for repeatability are the venier or soule type sights... although they are not really "correct" on this model of rifle.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

El Chivo was very impressive with his 94 with tang sight at the Leverguns shoot here hitting the 200 yd gong off hand with good regularity. Not sure what he used but he guessed the correct setting right of the bat and hit with the first shot as did Cowboy Tutt with his 454 Puma which has a peep sight on it.
Last edited by Old Savage on Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff,

I'm not really concerned about being "period correct". Should I go this way it will be for a purpose.
Since the rifle is already D&T'd for a tang sight I figured I might try one.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

You will become very frustrated using other non-click adjustable tang sights if you want to enjoy silhouette. Once you have your settings written down you will know how many clicks up(from the bottom) for chickens, then how many more clicks up for pigs, then how many up for turkeys and how many more up for rams. If you lose count you can always go all the way down and count clicks up.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I shoot Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette and I find that the Marble's tang sight works great. I rarely have to use the windage knob, but it sure is nice to have when it's needed. I especially like the click adjustments, as that makes it very easy to reset the sight for each distance.

I have four Winchester Model 94's with Marble's tang sights. Left to right they are;

.32-40 (26" octagon barrel) made in 1906

.38-55 Chief Crazy Horse Commemorative (24" round barrel) made in 1983

.30-30 1894-1994 One Hundred Year Commemorative (26" half-round barrel) made in 1994

.38-55 (26" octagon barrel) made in 2005

The 2005 model is my main silhouette gun. I have removed the tang safety and rebounding hammer, and installed the hammer and mechanism from a 1980, giving it the traditional Model 94 action it should have. The Marble's tang sight has had a taller stem installed to go with the Lee Shaver spirit level globe front sight. This gives me a "0 clicks" bottomed out sight setting for the 50 meter chickens, the closest target.
Looking at the picture you can see that I also use a Merit adjustable eyepiece, and the sight stem is marked with an orange reference mark so I don't have to count individual clicks when making adjustments. Each full turn of the stem is eight clicks. I find the Merit aperture to be very worthwhile when dealing with changing light conditions.

Good Luck with your new acquisition.

SHASTA
Last edited by Shasta on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

There is no question that the Marbles sight is the best one out there, but the Lyman is a very good sight. I bought a used Lyman for my 86 on ebay for a good price, that was less than half what a Marbles would have cost. After shooting it a few times, it was apparent that I needed to mark the sight base and the rotating post so I would have a means of coming back to the same spot as I change distances and loads. I sighted it in at 100 yards and scribed a mark on both pieces so I can count the rotationsfrom that point. later, I found out that it was 2 rotations to the bottom of the adjustment.

If I were doing it again, I would adjust the sight all the way down, scribe the post and base, and keep track of the number of rotations to different sighting points. The sight has done great things for the accuracy of that rifle and my old eyes.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Well, as usual, it looks like I'm the weirdo in the group. Here's my suggestion based on 40 years of experience and having owned and used about every type of tang sight ever invented.

The "New" Marbles---Its an O.K. sight. I just don't think windage is needed for 200 yard shooting. Any non-windage sight can be made to shoot "on" by tapping the front sight or sometimes, a thin shim on one side of the base of the rear. Windage is needed on guns when you are shooting long distance when the wind is blowing, etc....so you can dial in different settings when the wind changes. The price of these "New" Marbles sights is outrageous. I have owned a dozen or so and about half of 'em went bad. Marbles did make good on 'em though.

The "New" Lyman--Its worth about half of what they cost. They work OK but first you have to drill a hole where the set screw is or the stem will come flying off when least expected. I now own maybe 6--and will buy no more.

Both of the above sights are sloppy in tightness. The Marbles does have the click adjustment but I just don't like the spring that holds it upright. Go play with an original tang sight (in good condition) or even a newer Lyman or Redfield receiver sight and you will see what I mean.

The original Marbles and Lymans will set you back about the same as a "new" Marbles cost. They have tighter tolerences, look much better on an original gun and............drum roll please.............will enhance the value of your original gun, so you will get your money back when you sell the gun (or your heirs :D )

As far as "repeatability" goes, I have no problem with that on a non-click adjustable sight. I screw the stem down all the way and put a small dab of white paint (about 1/8") right on the stem--on the front. I then count the turns to get on zero at say, 50 yards. It will stay just about the same at 100 yards.---maybe an inch or two difference. 150 yards will require you to make about a half to 3/4 turn and 200 yards will mean a turn and a half.---This is for velocities about 1800-2000. For slow stuff in the 12-1400 range, it usually takes a full turn for each 50 yards.

As I shoot dozens of different leverguns and can't remember all of the different settings on the different guns, I make a small chart detailing how many turns to make at the different ranges and tape this "chart" to the inside of my ammo boxes. I keep a "master sheet" in my computer and make necessary changes from time to time. After a change, I "copy and paste" the new chart so I can get 6 or more "charts" on one page and print it out---cut 'em out and tape 'em in the ammo boxes.

Joe, get yourself an original for your old 1894. Call my good friend, Ken Bean of York, Pa. He will set you up with a nice original Lyman or Marbles in the condition to match your gun for about $100-$125. Original sights for the 94 are common. An original for an '86 or a "climbin Lyman for an 1895 will set you back at least $400. ------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I have the Smith Ladder sight on my 94/30-30 26" Legacy. It give me all the elevation I will ever need. My Winchester came with a marbles Tang-sight. The stem was not tight. I sent it to marbles twice. For 100 yards and closer it was fine. At ranges greater than that the groups opened up. I finally bought the Smith and the piece is now a long range shooter.

I have marbles on my two 92's but do not shoot beyond the 100 yard distance much. BTW; they also have a slight side-to-side play. I also have Marbles folding leaf barrel sights on the 92's. I bought the TS's used for $50.00 each and they mounted on the tangs real nice.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30