Another B92 Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Another B92 Question

Post by BC in TN »

Hobie mentioned in another B92 post about a reciever sight for a B92. I looked at a FP 94/36 Reciever sight which Brownell's indicates will fit the B92. I called Brownell's and the tech I talked with stated he was not sure, but thought some D&T had to be done.

I'd appreciate it if someone can clarify: Is there a reciever sight for a B92 which requires no drilling & if so, who makes it?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Another B92 Question

Post by J Miller »

BC in TN,

I cannot think of any sight that does not require drilling and tapping.

All the side mount receiver sights such as the Williams FP 94/36 you mentioned, the Lyman 66A, and older Redfield sights, require two holes D&T'd on the upper rear corner of the receiver.

It is fairly easy for a gunsmith who's familiar with the task to do. Just make sure you position the holes for the base with the cross bar all the way down. This gives you maximum elevation adjustments.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, Browning didn't have Miroku perform any sort of receiver or tang peep sight "prep" (drill & tap) on the Model B-92's - so one or two 6-48 holes will need to be D/T'd to accommodate either a receiver or tang peep sight.

A Tang peep sight (Lyman, Marble's, etc) uses a longer tang screw for the rear and a 2nd short screw for it's front - which needs one hole D/T'd in the tang.

A side-mount receiver peep sight (Lyman. redfield, Williams 5D/FP 94) will require two holes D/T'd in the upper/rear of the left receiver wall for the sight base.

A top-mount receiver peep sight (XS peep, Williams 5D/FP-94AE) will require one hole D/T'd in the top of each receiver sidewall/rail (2 holes total), near the locking lugs. The base of these sights straddle the bolt raceway.

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Pete44ru wrote:FWIW, Browning didn't have Miroku perform any sort of receiver or tang peep sight "prep" (drill & tap) on the Model B-92's - so one or two 6-48 holes will need to be D/T'd to accommodate either a receiver or tang peep sight.

A Tang peep sight (Lyman, Marble's, etc) uses a longer tang screw for the rear and a 2nd short screw for it's front - which needs one hole D/T'd in the tang.A side-mount receiver peep sight (Lyman. redfield, Williams 5D/FP 94) will require two holes D/T'd in the upper/rear of the left receiver wall for the sight base.

A top-mount receiver peep sight (XS peep, Williams 5D/FP-94AE) will require one hole D/T'd in the top of each receiver sidewall/rail (2 holes total), near the locking lugs. The base of these sights straddle the bolt raceway.

One hole D & T'd for the marble's tang sight.
The Marble's comes with the proper screws needed for installation. :wink:

Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

If you hate the thought of drilling your B-92, you can mount a short-based Marbles tang sight by using only the longer tang screw supplied with the sight. I have several rifles wearing such a Marbles sight sans the extra drilled hole. The single screw plus the radius of the sight base keep it in place. I also use a layer of double-sided tape under the base, but I doubt it's necessary.