OT: A Christmas Day Hunt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

OT: A Christmas Day Hunt

Post by bigbore442001 »

My main intention was more to play with a new gift rather than seriously hunt. I arose relatively early to find myself driving northward to my most often hunted spot in southern Worcester County. Since Thanksgiving I have been fighting this illness. I caught a sinus infection and had sought the treatment of a doctor for it. Although I had seen one on that particular weekend it still haunts me. Not to sound vile but I had some dry heaves and coughed up phlegm and started to tear up in my eyes and fill up my nose. After a few minutes I felt better. I drove down the long road to where I usually park and then set off. We did not get much snow but enough to see some sort of activity. At one stand I noticed one thing. Nothing except a set of fisher tracks. What did catch my eye was a set of three turkey tracks. I figured that I would use my new toy. I obtained a Garmin GPS Dakota 20 for Christmas. I turned it on and started to walk. I followed the tracks around a cedar and hemlock swamp that I have been hunting for many years. As I walked I laughed to myself. I recall some turkey expert saying that the big birds avoid swamps and thick areas. Well someone forgot to tell these birds what to do.

As I walked further I switched the chip in my trail camera to see what was there.

I see that there is a large coyote in this area.

I have an image of this big boy at 11:00 PM from a week ago. This may answer some questions as to why the deer are not near my stand. I walk further and I see the tracks of the turkey and fisher cat. Again I am intrigued. I slip through the woodlands with more energy than before. I am learning more and more as I walk. It is apparent that my problem is that I need to be more adaptable and move some long held treestand positions. As I was to find out the greatest amount of deer sign is basically away from both of my stands. Another factor that became evident as mapped out by the GPS is that there is a stand from a fellow hunter not one tenth of a mile, measured on my map, from my tried and true stand. Basically I am getting cut off. I am not too upset. It is a fact of life but it does reinforce the fact that I need to adapt and move things around.Anyways. There is one week of muzzleloader left. I have Monday off and Friday off. I will be able to hunt tuesday and wednesday after work for a couple of hours. I may just hunt off the ground and sit in a likely spot rather than move a stand for one or two sessions. Then again it may be worth it.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: A Christmas Day Hunt

Post by JReed »

Looks like it is time to do some coyote hunting. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice work, scouting allways pays.

I followed a couple of fresh pheasant tracks recently only to have my dog flush three, I got two with my little 20g 870 :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

We can hunt coyotes right now. In fact I am tempted to call it a season even though we can hunt until December 31st for deer with the muzzleloader. I have noticed fewer deer in our location and according to the weather idiots, we may get 1 to 2 feet of snow starting Sunday and ending sometime Monday.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/weather ... 3DSnowfall

Last Thursday in the afternoon I kicked up two deer. One of which was a nice 8 point buck running at full tilt about 50 to 75 yards away. I am a horrible ground hunter thus the reason I usually sit up a tree like big green wool clad owl. I fear that the snow will put on some hardship for our local herd and hunting that mangy coyote would do them a favor.