45-70 questions - trying to decide what to get...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
seasidehunter
Levergunner

45-70 questions - trying to decide what to get...

Post by seasidehunter »

I would love to hear some advice on getting a 45-70. I want one to shoot and hunt with.

I am interested in a lever gun and like the 1886, as far as I know doing a little research.

so basically I think I am interested in the Winchester and Browning

should I consider any others? (miroku or something I am unaware of?)

also should I get the regular 1886 or the Carbine? How does performance and ballistics differ?

how do the "Take down 1886" guns perform. {it does seem like traveling with a take down version would be more convenient, as far as luggage baggage and airlines}

How do these guns compare to the Marlin or the 1885 cowboy rifle?

Thanks for any advice or experience you can share. I hope to get one for myself as a Christmas gift.
Hobie

Re: 45-70 questions - trying to decide what to get...

Post by Hobie »

I bought a Browning 1886 SRC because it had the best combination of strength, size (dimensions including weight), quality, etc. The short answer is to get what you like. If you can't find it easily, take your time and you will find it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I have an early Browning 1886 .45-70 rifle as well as the Marlin Cowboy .45-70. Some say it is case of “conspicuous consumption” or “duplicative effort,” but I bought them because I wanted them. Plus I like the .45-70 calibre. At one time, I had a Browning 1886 SRC, but sold it to someone really wanted it. Plus, he had a wallet ‘fulla c-notes‘ and just had to have it…. :D

I find both to be fine firearms and fun to shoot -- I don't hunt anymore, I just shoot at paper plates off hand/bench @ 50 to 75 yds. Both are accurate -- given my almost 65 year old eyes. My loads are on the light to medium side (SR4759)with a 300 JHP bullet (bulk Midway bullets). With a stout load, both will let you know when they fire. :o A Marble’s tang and a Beech combination front sights are on the Browning; Marlin still sports the stock sights.

To me, the Marlin is just much more "user friendly". The Browning feels a bit clunky in my hands.

I would suggest -- if at all possible -- finding a dealer or maybe another shooter who has both and shouldering them. One just may fit better than the other.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

If you're one who cleans their guns after every shoot, the Marlin is much easier to strip/re-assemble than the Win. Personally, I only clean mine occasionally and not necessarily every time their shot.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Hobie wrote:I bought a Browning 1886 SRC because it had the best combination of strength, size (dimensions including weight), quality, etc. The short answer is to get what you like. If you can't find it easily, take your time and you will find it.
Couldn't have said it any better! 8)
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

If hunting is your main interest I would suggest taking a hard look at the winchester 86 extra light in 45/70.It has a shotgun butt to help with recoil and is lighter than the carbine.Makes for a nice woods carry gun.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

The Browning or Winchester model 86's are hands down the strongest Levers in 45/70.the new style Win/Usrac with the tang mounted saftey and rebounding hammer have been known to fail to fire on some guns.the rebounders have many added parts they weren't designed with. if You would ever want to scope your rifle or add a reciver sight the Marlin is a breeze.they are not strong for the level three loads One finds in most manuals. I bought one of these and like it alot. Good Luck.http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/bigbore/1895.asp
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

One thing I'd think about is if you get one of the newer Winchester/Miroku's it'll have the tang safety and the rebounding hammer. A Browning will have the traditional halfcock and no rebounding hammer. The Winoku's are a quality product, albeit with the above malady's.

I'd try to get my hands on all the variants as there is quite a difference between a carbine and a full size rifle. Crescent buttplate v shotgun, etc...

Can't go wrong with an '86 either way.

Oh, if you buy an original make sure you can shoot smokeless through it and don't just assume you can. A lot of those ole '86's have holy black barrels and you can ruin yourself a nice piece if'n you don't check.

Good luck hunting.
Old Law Dawg
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I have the regular Marlin model 1895 .45-70, 22" and have been very happy with it. Shoots Leverevolution and Buffalo Bore with no problems. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think the 1895SS 22" is the best all around 45-70. Best blend of handy, accurate, takes a scope (or not, up to you). strong enough for any ammo most will care to shoot, has sling swivels. I don't see that it is really outdone by anything else in any practical sense but has some advantages others can't match. come to think of it - I don't think anything can match it ---- unless you like another Marlin 45-70.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

All of the boys here gave great advice. After letting it all sink in and your head is on the pillow---think----then get the one that grabs your soul, everything else will follow. :wink: :D ---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

seasidehunter
Levergunner

Post by seasidehunter »

I really appreciate all the information. It seems like there are more Hi grade 1886 brownings for sale than the standard grade. Does anyone hunt with a Hi grade. If I were to get a Hi grade I would def hunt with it, is that crazy?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

seasidehunter wrote:I really appreciate all the information. It seems like there are more Hi grade 1886 brownings for sale than the standard grade. Does anyone hunt with a Hi grade. If I were to get a Hi grade I would def hunt with it, is that crazy?
Heck no, it ain't crazy. Use it, as in your lifetime, its never going to be worth much more than you paid for it. Personally, for me, I like the standard blued jobs and on top of that, I strip the stock and get rid of all that shine. Shine and chrome is for the bro's. :D -------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I'm with Six on that.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

seasidehunter
Levergunner

Post by seasidehunter »

yeah - I would love to find a reg grade, but it seems like there are more hi grades for sale....

anyone got a reg grade I can take off their hands ?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Here's a pic of a Winoku in 45-90 to look at until you get yours and you can get us a pic.

Old Law Dawg
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Seaside,now this Member on the Sass Board really needs to sell this winnie 86.it is part of a run that Doug Turnbull removed the tang saftey and reworked so it is like it shoulda been in the first place.everybody cover Your keyboards. We would ALL love to SEE a rang report from this 86. :) .Good Luck.

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=159867
Mustang 22
Levergunner

Post by Mustang 22 »

I picked up an 1886 EL, It's a miroku, but I love it. It's accurate, It's super strong, it's good looking and feels like it was made for me. they are a bit more spendy than a Marlin but I would still recommend it over most any other.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have the Browning 1886 rifle. But, some don't like the crescent buttplate. I happen to.

The best advice I can offer is to find a shop near you with any number of .45-70 choices and go fondle them. Heft 'em, pull 'em up to the shoulder and hold them in different positions. Sometimes one will just talk to you and say, buy ME! That's when you know you've bought the right gun. Everyone that sez otherwise can just go hang wallpaper! :twisted: :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
seasidehunter
Levergunner

Post by seasidehunter »

hey .45 Colt

thanks for that link

wow what a beaut - I can't spend that much $$$ tho. Dang!!! that is a sweet rifle though.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Your Welcome :wink: . All of us suffer from "Leveritus" and our duty is to help others to find the perfect one.pretty soon We end up with a whole bunch. :) .
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Kinda partial to this one...s'pose 'cause i own it:

Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Seaside,
I have a very nice Browning Miroku Rifle, 26" brl, cresent butt LNIB. A very few & minor handling dings in the sock & forearm from being held in gun racks. Marbles tang mounted and will shoot 3/4" grps. with several selected handloads. $1300 delivered. E-Mail me for pics if interested I have had the trigger professionally redone to a 2.5 # pull. It weighs 9lbs. 5.6 ozs. A lot to carry, but a pleasure to shoot, particularly with heavey loads. I live in Delaware.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

There's a Marlin LTD III over in the classified section. I have one and it is my all time favorite .45-70 ( and i've had a bunch, 95's, 86 japchesters, Trapdoors, H&R's, etc.).
First time out of the box I shot a 3/4" five shot group @ 50 yrds.
This short rifle will be one of the last guns I will part with in this lifetime.
The 450M on top is another that I won't part with.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Don't overlook the Browning 1885 single shot. Nearly indestructable, and extremely accurate. I had one years ago, and had it been the longer barrel length would probably still own it. The only rifle I've ever owned that broke my glasses :lol: 300gr Barnes X bullets loaded to 2400 fps. Scope was set too far back...though at the time I thought it was forward enough....but really the gun was perfect...even if I wasn't :lol:

Ed
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have three. I too like the 45-70. I have a sharps, an original Winchester 1886 rifle with full length mag and octagon barrel, and a Wild West Guns Co-pilot, with ghost ring sights, kevlar stocks, take-down, scope mount and scope, high vis front sight, ported, 18 inch barrel, parkerized, med size lever and leupold fixed power scope with QD mounts. I love all three but the original 1886 "speaks" to the ancient in me and calls me to the woods or even to have me pick it up and ponder its 123 years of service. my advice is to find one that speaks to you and cherish it.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
seasidehunter
Levergunner

Post by seasidehunter »

I am looking forward to going to a cowboy shoot this weekend.

Hopefully learn a little more too.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have one of the Browning 86 carbines in the high grade. It is a little bright and fancy, but it grows on you. Like many, a deal came along at the right time, for the high grade, so I bought it. I like it a lot, and the recoil seems less then the Winchester Extra Lightweight, not to mention I had misfiring problems with the rebounding hammer junk on that gun.

If you don't mind spending some extra money, Turnbill will take a new gun or your personal Winchester 1886 extra lightweight and weld up the tang safety hole, and covert to a non rebounding hammer, You can also get the longer heavier takedown model, but It really seems too heavy for me to pack, but would be a fine range gun.
NRA Life Member, Patron
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

First question I would ask is do you plan on scoping the rifle??

If no scope then the 1886 is a real dandy. But then so is a Sharp's, and the 1885 High Walls.

If you want to scope it then the best choice is probably a Marlin.

As far as hunting with a High Grade. No doubt you should hunt with a High Grade. The first thing I did to my High Grade UL was to strip the glossy finish and put an oil finish on the rifle. I like the High Grade better, but it is a hunting rifle. Not a safe queen. Tom.
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

I picked up a beautiful 1886 Browning SRC a few years ago in like-new condition. I love it! I'm not sure if it is a standard or a high grade. How do you tell the difference?
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

just something to study on looking for a 45/70.

ruger #1 you can load these until you shoulder tells you no more :lol: very accurate rifles.

http://ruger.com/products/no1MediumSporter/models.html

I am a T/C encore fan.their pro hunter rifles are also very accurate and it only takes a minute to change barrels :wink:

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/proHunterCenterfire.php
DAV life member.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

86er has an 1886 which he has fixed up with a very good recoil pad and it shoots very well. I have put 2 or 3 rounds out of it, and it is great. I own a Marlin Guide Gun, and I like it a lot, too. I agree on the advice to find what speaks to you.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost