BLR "timing"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

BLR "timing"

Post by Hobie »

Our resident "gunsmith" to to repair a BLR with light primer strikes (misfiring) yesterday. To do so he had to remove the bolt. You can see where this is going. You know we've had a lot of comments on "timing" the actions on these guns. You know the factory has to have a methodology that doesn't require thought on the part of the assemblers so... All our man did was retract the bolt to about 1/16" behind the radius cut on the receiver top (looking in/down through the bottom of the empty inverted action. He then put the "cog" (as he called it) in the "lowest" position and it went together slick as snot.

Oh, the problem? A shaved piece of brass in the firing pin channel...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Re: BLR "timing"

Post by Bruce »

Which model was it?
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It was ?????? an earlier model I think, the bolt didn't have the appearance of the current bolt. Dang, you know I didn't really look at that, was a bit busy. It did NOT have the fluted bolt. I'm thinking it was the original BLR, as I seem to remember the extended magazine. It used pins for retaining the lever, etc... It did have the gold trigger. I should have noted those details but every time I went back to see how the job was going I'd have a customer come in. It didn't take him long to get it apart and back together.

BTW, about 8% of the visits to the blog are to YOUR article. At this rate it should be the number 1 visited article by the end of January.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Thanks Hobie. It seems about right but it's been a long time since I put one back together so my memory needed to be jarred. I always got mine as a pile of parts that someone else took apart. They aren't impossible just difficult and there was a couple years between them so I had to relearn the trick each time. I can't remember the part name but there is a fragile part that IIRC locks the lever up that very little forcing WILL BREAK if not timed right(old ones, never had to do a post 81 so don't know that it applies to those). Never heard of one breaking unless someone took it apart and got just a "little" frustrated trying to put it back together. Something to file away for next time.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith