OT-I let myself get pushed around a lot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

OT-I let myself get pushed around a lot

Post by Jason_W »

I'm very much the kind of person who hates to make waves and upset people, and I especially hate feeling like I've wasted someone's time.

This house we're considering buying is turning into a nightmare. I had the inspection done and it turned out to be a 37 page report of both major and minor problems.

The biggies:

1. The windows are outdated heat hemmorhaging things most of which don't even latch

2. Most of the outlets aren't grounded

3. The basement was sprayed with foam insulation as a moisture barrier, but no fire barrier was installed over it. Code violation.

After that, there is a long laundry list of minor stuff that cumulatively will be more than I can afford to fix after making the mortgage payments.

Our gut is telling us to walk away from the deal (legal as per the inspection contingency addendum) but my conscience is telling me that if I do that, I will have wasted a lot of people's time and I owe it to them to try to renegotiate.

I don't really trust the sellers to fix the problems since they are increasingly seeming like corner cutters and any fixing they do will be a half a$$ed job.

I wish I had never gotten involved in this process.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

There is no shame in sticking up for your family, self worth and future. You will be protecting your investments by walking away. You have no obligation at all. The sellers should have represented it fairly and should have been keeping up with maintenance and repair standards all along.

Say "No Thank You" and sleep well at night!
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

Run, and do so quickly. If you have an agent, you don't have to make any waves, it's their job to let the seller know you exercising the home inspection clause and not buying that house.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Bullet Bob wrote:Run, and do so quickly. If you have an agent, you don't have to make any waves, it's their job to let the seller know you exercising the home inspection clause and not buying that house.
Yeah, "My" agent is the one putting the pressure on me :x
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Then tell your agent if he wants to pony up the cash (out of his commission, in writing) to fix all the problems you will go ahead and buy it. If he won't, WALK! Don't get yourself into a nightmare you will be regretting for years to come, ruining your first homeowner experience.
That is no way to live. There will be other places.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Jason,

That agent works for you. That agent is supposed to see to it that you get the house that you want to buy. If this house does not fit your needs, and does not meet your expectations, then that agent needs to help you find another house.

Again, your purchasing of this house was predicated upon a favorable inspection. You are correct: you may be looking at repairing a ton of unseen problems, if that insultion if hiding some other problems, and if those windows have allowed some hidden decay to begin. Also, you do not know the extent of the wiring problems that are concealed within the structure. These are all MAJOR points of contention. The smaller problems are icing on the cake.

If your agent gives you any lip, then you can try to file a complaint, and, then, find another agent.

Go with your gut, and that report, on this one, Jason. RUN AWAY from that house.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

if you're just worried about hurting someones feeling u need to run from this deal as fast as possible, however if u really love the house and really want it for whatever reason then u could withdraw your offer to purchase and submit a new one with revised purchase price and see what happens. If your agent is also the listing agent for the property then watch out! there is a definite conflict of interest there...your agent should be representing your best interest and no one elses.....
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Hagler wrote: Go with your gut, and that report, on this one, Jason. RUN AWAY from that house.

Shawn
That's what everyone is saying. It's what I need to do and what I will do.

But for some reason I still feel bad about it.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Ahem... You are about to make perhaps the largest purchase of your life.

Don't be a sucker. You don't owe anyone anything, including consideration, when you are spending your own hard-earned money.

Ask them if they are crazy referring you to a sub-standard property, and tell them how you feel about them wasting your valuable time and money.

Remember that these agents WORK FOR YOU. You have a right to expect EXACTLY the results you want.

Never take stuff or accept flimsy excuses from someone whom you are paying to do a job for you.

You want to be as necessarily polite as you can, but business is business, and if you don't collar the dog, it will bite you.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

As stated don't feel bad about looking after your families interests. No one else is going to do it. If you agent is pushing you that hard to make the deal then I'd make sure their butt is on the line if you do go through with it and the repairs are mandated. Personally, there's always other houses, but get ripped once and you'll feel like you're paying for it forever. A nightmare. Don't feel bad about what's right.
Old Law Dawg
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-I let myself get pushed around a lot

Post by Noah Zark »

Jason_W wrote: I'm very much the kind of person who hates to make waves and upset people, and I especially hate feeling like I've wasted someone's time.
You have NOT wasted anyone's time by walking. Your agent and the seller's agent are in the business, and it's their JOB. If a sale falls through, it's the cost of doing business. DO NOT feel any regrets.
. . . Our gut is telling us to walk away from the deal (legal as per the inspection contingency addendum) but my conscience is telling me that if I do that, I will have wasted a lot of people's time and I owe it to them to try to renegotiate.
You owe them NOTHING! Ask yourself: "Will they be there to help me fix things after I buy this?" Answer: NO! Listen to your gut on this. Walk. Don't worry about hurting any feelings, because the seller, selling agent, and your agent don't feel any remorse about separating you from your money.

. . . I wish I had never gotten involved in this process.
I can understand your feeling, however it's been a GOOD learning experience for you and your wife if you walk away NOW. IF you go ahead with the purchase, you WILL be wishing you never got involved with it. So walk away, now.

If you recall, I mentioned that I missed out on the very first house that I attempted to buy back in 1978, but I didn't tell the story. It was a nice 3BR rancher "with potential" and we put in a written offer on it. The seller accepted it, but out of the blue the realtor told us that there was a right of first refusal on the property that the seller had granted to a friend of hers. This was NOT written into the contract, so technically it wasn't a factor. Nonetheless, the realtor said in as much, "Tough excrement; it is what it is." The seller's friend agreed to purchase the house at the price we offered, and we were out. Talk about a bad taste; I've lumped realtors in with lawyers and legislators ever since. But it was a heck of a positive learning experience.

Fast forward to six months later, we found another 3BR rancher in a much nicer neighborhood. More $$$, but more value, and great neighbors. We bought that house and lived there for 15 years. And the other house? In less than three years, the neighborhood it was in turned into a crackhead heaven.

The point: Everything works out for a reason, the the reason that you got involved with this house was to learn about the real estate process. That education was well worth the hassle, as you will see with your next possible house deal when you put that experience to work.

Further, if YOUR agent, the guy working for you, is still pushing you to buy this house I'd seriously consider finding a different agent for the next potential purchase. He's not looking after YOUR interests, he wants a commission at YOUR ultimate expense.

Walk away, NOW.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Always go with your gut!! If your gut tells you this is a bad deal, then dump it NOW!! You have received very good advice from the members of this board. I am a retired real estate broker, I have seen this situation many times, please dont feel bad about doing the right thing for yourself and your family.
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

Jason, these men have all given you the best advice possible. I can understand how you feel about wasting peoples time but why did you bother with the inspection???????? You did that to find out what kind of shape this house is in. The inspector did just what you paid him for. Just be upfront an honest with all involved and tell them why you arent buying that "fixer upper" house. If they want to pay to fix it or come down enough to satisfy you, then you can think it over again. Otherwise, walk away feeling good about yourself.

Jason, what you need to remember is when your buying, your the guy in charge. Also right now it is a buyers market from what I understand. There should be plenty of things on the market and interest rates are low.
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

We're definitely walking away.

I've always been taught that everything that happens happens to teach us some lesson. My big lesson is to have a little bit of backbone and assert myself.

It is hard having a little bit of integrity in a society that seems to have none. You always have to be on the alert for a potential swindle, and it's a bit exhausting. I know that's nothing new, but still. It's a bit rough.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

home buying

Post by Hillbilly »

You would only be wasting your time if you bought this house with the problems described.

Options? What would it cost to remidiate the problems? Ask for a discount to reflect the cost.

With a little careful planning (if the house is worth it) you may be able to parlay the remidiation work into some up-grades or re-modeling if you manage the projects correctly.

Or just walk away untill you find what you like... tons and tons of houses for sale today... many for "fire sale" prices.

Good Luck
~J
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

There will be more defects that the inspector didn't find. Things that can only be noticed after you start living there. Don't let yourself get pushed around on something this major. You WILL regret it.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

If the sellers won't re-negotiate for the cost of the repairs then you have an out. Don't feel guilty about it, that's how this business works. If you're agent is worried about losing a sale and not putting your needs and worries first then you need a new one.

In my area it is real buyers market and probably most of the country as well. I'm sure that there's another place that you would be happy with.
Log homes are more of a money pit than most so it may be for the best.

Owning a home is one of the best investments you can make and now that there are a lot of motivated sellers and lower rates take advantage of it if you can.

I've made some good bucks trading real estate over the years but it is a cut throat business! Be as much of a pirate as you can. :twisted: the Hell with the other guy! Get as much as you can for you and your family! 8)

Get a list of bank owned properties from you realator or another. Or even call some local branches. With all the reposesions accross the country there's some real deals out there and alot of the time the banks will take a loss just to get them off the books. Last year I offered Citibank 24k for a house they had just bought at auction for 41k. Mine was the fist offer they had in 6 mos and they took it! Now it's rented and making a profit.

Buy it cheap, put a little work into it and you have instant equity.
I started @ 24 a couple years out of college with a little $30,000 beater and over the last 16yrs have traded my way through several homes. The new one ( hopefully the last, it's starting to wear me out) would appraise for $300+.
Not bragging but I'd never have a house like that on my salary. Also Location is EVERTHING!

8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

OK,

I see you are in Vermont, gets cold there.
I'm in SoCal, doesn't get cold here.

Big issue with those windows...

I'm renting a house built in 1955.
The windows are very drafty,
cold (below 60) and I have the
heater on when my daughter is home,
dust everywhere.

I would NOT buy a place that doesn't
have good window seals, especially
in a cold climate. Can you say "Throw
your money out the window" (literally).
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

RUN, Do NOT walk RUN,
these people do NOT have your interest at heart.
Buying a house & or car are the two most stressful things you will do in your life
The world is full of trickery, if you allow yourself to be tricked, you will have just played into the hand of the unscrupulous persons who count on your basic goodness to fuel their fire.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Well, the good thing about it is, now is a buyer's market.

Not a sellers market.

Right now in Florida, there is a 2 1/2 yr surplus on new homes. I'm sure it's that way in several regions.

So, prices are very low, the fed just cut the interest rate again, and people are getting desperate (if not foreclosing) just to get out of the house they purchased for speculation.

Anyway, don't sweat it. Get another agent and also look into a real estate attorney.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

BTW, Jason, I just happen to have a house for sale in the Denver area, so if you want to come out west where you can see for a hundred miles and breathe the sparkling mountain air, etc... :D :D :D
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

bsaride wrote:OK,

I see you are in Vermont, gets cold there.
I'm in SoCal, doesn't get cold here.

Big issue with those windows...

I'm renting a house built in 1955.
The windows are very drafty,
cold (below 60) and I have the
heater on when my daughter is home,
dust everywhere.

I would NOT buy a place that doesn't
have good window seals, especially
in a cold climate. Can you say "Throw
your money out the window" (literally).
The windows are the biggest issue.

Second is the electrical. The weird part is that the box was upgraded for modern 200 amp service and some outlets were upgraded to be grounded, but just those for the kitchen appliances.

The sellers strike me as being cheap and lazy. I wouldn't want them to fix anything because I know it would not be done properly.

Even though they depreciate, I might be better to find a small, but nice parcel of land and have a trailer dropped on it until I can afford to have a real house built. At least I would know what to expect.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

meanc wrote:Well, the good thing about it is, now is a buyer's market.

Not a sellers market.
Vermont (and probably the rest of northern New England) is odd in that it's never really a buyers market. Housing bubbles don't seem to collapse here like they do in the rest of the country. The reason being that a great many people who purchase homes here are either wealthy retirees, or wealthy people looking to buy a ski house. Economic downturns don't affect thes people as much as others, meaning they are still able to pay high prices in a recession, which drives up the housing prices in the state. It's interesting and a bit discouraging for us regular folk who live and work here year round.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jason_W wrote:I'm very much the kind of person who hates to make waves and upset people, and I especially hate feeling like I've wasted someone's time.

This house we're considering buying is turning into a nightmare. I had the inspection done and it turned out to be a 37 page report of both major and minor problems.

The biggies:

1. The windows are outdated heat hemmorhaging things most of which don't even latch

3. The basement was sprayed with foam insulation as a moisture barrier, but no fire barrier was installed over it. Code violation.

After that, there is a long laundry list of minor stuff that cumulatively will be more than I can afford to fix after making the mortgage payments.

Our gut is telling us to walk away from the deal (legal as per the inspection contingency addendum) but my conscience is telling me that if I do that, I will have wasted a lot of people's time and I owe it to them to try to renegotiate.

I don't really trust the sellers to fix the problems since they are increasingly seeming like corner cutters and any fixing they do will be a half a$$ed job.

Jason,
Do not walk away, RUN AWAY from this one. Do not accept the deal.
The only time you waste will be your own, along with all your money and trouble to fix it up.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Bail out and don't feel bad. That place sounds like a lemon.

I should know... :shock: My house needed some serious cosmetic work due to the previous owner's "artistic" tastes. Four and a half years later I'm still not done. That's mostly because I can only do a little at a time and I haven't exactly strained myself... :roll: :wink: . I knew exactly what I was getting into at the time and I got the house for substantially less than the appraised value as well.

Run Jason, RUN!
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

As someone that did buy a house like that , and rebuilt the whole dang thing ,
Walk away , but use this as a learning experiance :wink:
You now have a better understanding of what to look for both in a house and agents .
You may feel bad now , but trust me , you and youre familly will feel a lot better when you do get the right house :wink:
Phil
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

Jason_W wrote:I'm very much the kind of person who hates to make waves and upset people, and I especially hate feeling like I've wasted someone's time.

The biggies:

You do not owe them anything more than you have already done. You made the offer in good faith, yes? You reserved the right to call off the deal if the necessary repairs were more than you could handle, yes?

If the home is a problem, it's not your problem, at least not yet. If you buy it, it WILL be your problem, and they'll walk away and not think of it again.

- Tristan
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Thanks for helping me man up.

I just typed up and printed off our termination notice. At lunch, I'll get my fiance's signature on it and fax it off.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Way to go, Jason! :D
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Just remember, no one is looking out for your best interest except you. Your agent is working for him or herself. The inspection is a tool to use as leverage for negotiations with the seller, or as a justification to back out of the deal, or finally as justification for the purchase. Best wishes on this though, buying a home is a nerve wracking experience.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

You won't regret it IMO. Good job!
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Good , now go fire your realtor and look for someone that is wanting to find you the right house and look out for you ,not the easiest and first deal they can come up w/
Jason the only one you OWE is you and your family (future )that you make the right decisions. They will be counting on you
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

People who have no morals tend to take advantage of those that do. If you cannot trust them to fix the house then you cannot trust them. Your loyalty is misplaced refreshing though it is. Let them be upset and you find the best deal you can. Good luck!!!
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

All that agent wants is the commission in his pocket. Don't do it!! The house is probably the biggest investment you will ever make and if you have these problems to face right off the bat then I hate to think of all the problems that will pop up in the future and it will make all of you hate the place right away!!! Not to mention that if you try to resell it you will have all kinds of problems and end up selling at a big loss. This is no way to start out with a home. Get something you can all love and enjoy and be happy to call it "home". Mike
If I can't shoot or pee off my own back porch when I want to then I'm not free and I won't live there. Thank you God for my freedom!
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

All right, it's done.

Feels like a huge weight off.

I'm now seriously considering the manufactered home route, if I can find a nice parcel of reasonably priced land.

We have pretty much decided that we want to live IN a dwelling, and not FOR it.

Thanks for talking me through this, everyone.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Jason_W wrote:All right, it's done.

We have pretty much decided that we want to live IN a dwelling, and not FOR it.

Very wise decision indeed!! Now, fire that real estate agent and get a good one.
chuckles
Levergunner

Post by chuckles »

FWiedner wrote:Ahem... You are about to make perhaps the largest purchase of your life.

Don't be a sucker. You don't owe anyone anything, including consideration, when you are spending your own hard-earned money.

Ask them if they are crazy referring you to a sub-standard property, and tell them how you feel about them wasting your valuable time and money.

Remember that these agents WORK FOR YOU. You have a right to expect EXACTLY the results you want.

Never take stuff or accept flimsy excuses from someone whom you are paying to do a job for you.

You want to be as necessarily polite as you can, but business is business, and if you don't collar the dog, it will bite you.

:wink:
Big, huge plus 1 on this.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You had the inspection so that you could walk away from a bad deal. Do so. You're primary responsibility for the rest of your life is to God and your wife (in that order). You legitimately and up front had the inspection and you will not be harming ANYONE but your wife by going through with the deal.

I should add that the wife's primary responsibility is now God and YOU. That's marriage.

PS. I see that you did do it... Good for you. Just a recommendation but... Deltec.com superinsulated available... :wink:
Last edited by Hobie on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

You have certainly made the right decision, Jason. It sounds to me like you did not have a realtor, but a selling agent who was in collusion withthe owners. A licensed realtor would have the buyer's interest only and would never pressure to buy a substandard dwelling.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Good decision, you made the right one...nice to have that weight off, eh?
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

Jason, right on!!

I have needed those man up lessons too...

Please be careful about manufactured homes. Don't buy a single wide unless you plan to live in it a long time. I lost a ton on one when trying to get out of it. A lot of folks default, and that really derpesses the used market, as repos are oftensold for pennies on the dollar. In fact, if i had to do it again, i would pay cash for a nice repo, as opposed to buying new.

best of success! You just won big time by walking away from that house!

Take care,

Tom
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I always was kind of like you jason, I went along with whatever houses my wives wanted. (it did work though). But as far as your realiter working for you and not the seller is totaly wrong! Think about it. The realitor gets paid a commission on the sale. The commission usualy 6%, comes off the buying price off the house that the SELLAR gets!!
Of course the seller knows when he goes to a realiter that the real estate company is going to get say $12,000 dollars if the house sells for $200,000! If it sells multable listing from a agent from another realitor your agent probley gets 3% and the listing broker the other 3%. If the listing broker sells it they get the entire 6% and the realitor out of the office gets 3 % of it. Unless the listing broker/ owner of the agency sells it himself and not a realitor under him, then he would get the entire 6%.
So it aint quite accurate to say a realitor works for you! Kind of like buying a car at a dealership, that salesman aint working for you either!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

+1! On the Manufacured homes! As a contractor I've worked on a bunch of them and 90% are junk!

I had a neighbor when I lived out in the sticks that bought the land next to me. He's a great guy and a shooter so we got along really well. He didn't make a lot of money but wanted to live out where could shoot in his back yard. He bought as much land as he could and then put up a small pole barn, @ 24'x40' i think. He finished off the inside w/ a Kitchen, living room, bath and bedroom for very little cash and had a really nice place. Now he's saving to build a nice size ranch and will have a nifty guest house when it's finished. And waaayy better built than any modular.
I was going to do the same thing after my divorce but met the current Mrs. and knew she'd never go for it. But it sure would have been cheap!

8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

Way to go Jason!

Theres a lot to be said about manufactured homes, both good and bad :D
I did a ton of research on having a new house built, both with big home building companies and small contractors. I even had some that factored in sweat equity from me. The end result is I bought a manufactured home for half of what I could get from any of the contractors and I bought a high end one. I went to the factory and saw how they were built and I was very impressed. All sheet rock interior with a decorative texture job, 2X6 studs, the exterior is wrapped in 1/2 inch plywood and then siding. All told, my walls are close to 8 inches thick and completely insulated. We have gone thru some bad storms and a hurricane last year that had 80 plus mph winds. There is a lot of consumer info out there about the manufactued home business, look into it. The way things are going for me, I'll have mine paid off soon and then its easy street :lol:

cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

There is a huge difference as I understand it between the old mobile home that most people think of when manufactured housing is discussed and "modular" or manufactured homes.

IIRC (45-70- correct me if I'm wrong) modular homes are wood frames that are assembled on templates at a factory and delivered to the home site. I'm betting that they come pre-wired as well. I think they're set on concrete slabs or foundation walls.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

cnjarvis wrote:There is a huge difference as I understand it between the old mobile home that most people think of when manufactured housing is discussed and "modular" or manufactured homes.

IIRC (45-70- correct me if I'm wrong) modular homes are wood frames that are assembled on templates at a factory and delivered to the home site. I'm betting that they come pre-wired as well. I think they're set on concrete slabs or foundation walls.
Yes. manufactured home is the new word for trailer or mobile home.

Modular homes are wooden frame homes constructed in units at a factory, and then assembled at the building site.

Manufactured homes depreciate.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Thanks Jason.

If I were going to build a house, modular construction would be something I'd investigate thoroughly. I work in commercial construction but I've done some work in the residential field and seen some of the slop they fling together. The home builder would NOT like my punchlist.
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

"Manufactured homes depreciate." Not all of them Jason. I just got offered $28,000 more than I paid for mine and I have been in it for 1.5 years. You got the manufactured-modular thing down right. Mine came on some type of trailer type-wheeled type system then it was all removed and the house was put on a concrete foundation with massive jacks. I asked one of the guys who brought my house what the weight was and he said all together it was 100,000 pounds :shock: I didnt even ask how they made it over all the little bridges they had to cross to get to my land.
Anyways, we turned down the offer. My wife said no more moving and that didnt hurt my feelings.

Chris, the old 1970's trailer houses were something else. I remember seeing pics of them wrapped around trees here in Oklahoma following storms. I dont think they had any wood in them. They arent even in the same category as what is on the market now.

Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

45-70- wrote:"Manufactured homes depreciate." Not all of them Jason.
That's good to know. It's an option we'll definitely be exploring.
Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Post by Nate Kiowa Jones »

Hobie wrote:You had the inspection so that you could walk away from a bad deal. Do so. You're primary responsibility for the rest of your life is to God and your wife (in that order). You legitimately and up front had the inspection and you will not be harming ANYONE but your wife by going through with the deal.

I should add that the wife's primary responsibility is now God and YOU. That's marriage.

PS. I see that you did do it... Good for you. Just a recommendation but... Deltec.com superinsulated available... :wink:
Jason,
Hobie has handed you a tool to help manage life. If I may, let me expand on it a bit. Many years ago when I was at a cross roads in my life I had a most memorable talk with an old country preacher about the things going on it my life. We talked about the specifics of the things I was dealing with at the time but more important, he gave me this tool to help me prioritize the decisions we all face in our lives.
He told me, remember this, “God, Family, Work, and friends in that orderâ€
Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones Sass# 6765

Steve's Guns aka "Rossi 92 Specialists"
205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

http://www.stevesgunz.com

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Tel: 512-564-1015