Peep sights and light

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Peep sights and light

Post by Mike-in-WV »

It seems to me that many of you like the peep sights for target or hunting and so do I but I like the XS-Ghost ring because they are larger than most others I know of. How do you guy's use the small aperture sights like the Williams peep that seem so popular on here?. It seems to me that they would be hard to use in low light in the deep woods. When I was a kid I had a single shot Remington .22 with a peep and it was great for target but it sucked in the woods for squirrel unless it was a really bright day. Mike
If I can't shoot or pee off my own back porch when I want to then I'm not free and I won't live there. Thank you God for my freedom!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

They are harder to use in low light, than a ghost ring - but (on the other hand) are better for open land and bright days, and/or target shooting small groups.

That's why the apertures are screw-in, and screw-out. :mrgreen:
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

the Williams (as well as lyman and marbles tang sights) have a removable apeture that has the target size hole .When it is removed you have essentially a ghost ring the same as an XS sight. Hope this helps.
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

Thanks guys for this thread It just reminded me that the aperture from my sight on my 94 is sitllin my pocket of my one set of hunting pants from taning it out I gotta get thout out before it hits the washer and gets lost :(
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Bluehawk, At least you would have had a clean "sight hole" :lol:

Thanks guy's, I have a large and small aperture on my GR sights too but they are both bigger than the average peep. Guess I'll stick with them. They sure work great for me on this Trapper! Mike
If I can't shoot or pee off my own back porch when I want to then I'm not free and I won't live there. Thank you God for my freedom!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mike,

Your question has been answered but let me elaborate a bit on apertures.

When I take my guns to the range to sight one in, or to fine tune my adjustments I use a 1/2" OD aperture with a pin arrogant idiot hole in it. This gives me the finest most precise sight picture I can get at the range. After getting the rifle sighted in I remove that aperture and install the small OD one that came on the sight new. Not sure of the ID size. This I use for all my normal shooting.
When and if the light gets really low, it's out with the aperture and use the ring.

Piece of cake.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

Actually I did do that last year during the small game season I was NOT clean it ended up lint filled :lol:
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Thanks Joe and that's a great idea.I may have to alter my front sight just a little. It's hitting right on off the top of the front sight but if I turn the peep up just one half turn it's to high. I want it to hit about 1/2" above the front sight from 6:00 hold. I hate my sight covering the spot I want to hit.

Bluehawk, Lint in your hole is always a problem but it's really a problem when your hunting in the woods! :P
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

you can use the williams screw in peeps on the XS sights if you buy the correct XS sight. I believe Brownels sell them and I sure other places as well. It's a larger XS ghost ring stud that is threaded.
Ricky

DWWC
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Get the Merit adjustable iris aperture and have the best of all worlds at your fingertips.g
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There are ALSO some adjustable apertures out there; I believe other postings go into details. If not, someone may re-post, or you can search for them.

One kind is a multi-leaf 'iris' and the other simply has a disk with different apertures in it which rotates in or behind the face of the sight which blocks all but the chosen aperture from view. They both have strong adherents, and I believe both types can FIT EXISTING TANG/PEEP sights (you have to specify the type/brand when ordering)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

Williams also make twilight apertures that have a brass ring around the hole. These are a great help when the light starts fading. They just screw in the receiver sight.

Well done is better than well said.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Yea, Now I really like the brass ring! :D But my problem is not so much seeing with my ghost ring sights as it is that just one turn raising or lowering the peep will move the bullet impact about 1.5" and I need to move the bullet impact about one half inch higher then it is right now.
You have to go one full turn with it because the whole peep rotates and you can't have it just half a turn or it would be sitting sideways. Hope I'm making sense :) Mike
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mike,

Williams FP sights use 1/4" clicks. 1 click = ¼" at 100 yards. So if you only want ½" of adjustment you just need 2 clicks.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

Williams makes apertures with different size holes, so if you want a larger one you can buy one and install it. You can even carry more than one with you if you like.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

You have to go one full turn with it because the whole peep rotates and you can't have it just half a turn or it would be sitting sideways.
That is the problem with the XS style posts, I have a Brockman's sight like that and an XS. I removed the XS and will soon remove the Brockman's, in favor of tang sights.

Actually you CAN turn them one half turn, it's the quarter turn that makes it sideways. They are threaded all the way through and you can insert the aperture from either side.

You just have to choose your setting. I considered finding the closest setting and then filing some off the base of the sight to lower it an in-between amount. Or you could make a layer of aluminum foil or thin spring steel to put under the base of the sight.

Plenty good for hunting as is, though.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Mike-in-WV wrote:Thanks Joe and that's a great idea.I may have to alter my front sight just a little. It's hitting right on off the top of the front sight but if I turn the peep up just one half turn it's to high. I want it to hit about 1/2" above the front sight from 6:00 hold. I hate my sight covering the spot I want to hit.

Bluehawk, Lint in your hole is always a problem but it's really a problem when your hunting in the woods! :P
Inch and a half high at 100 is perfect for many chamberings. The kill zone on a deer is 10".
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

FWIW - I use brass front blades with my aperature sights. .050 wide. I can see them really well when the light gets low.
de k8bor

Dave
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

sobenk wrote:
You have to go one full turn with it because the whole peep rotates and you can't have it just half a turn or it would be sitting sideways.
That is the problem with the XS style posts, I have a Brockman's sight like that and an XS. I removed the XS and will soon remove the Brockman's, in favor of tang sights.

Actually you CAN turn them one half turn, it's the quarter turn that makes it sideways. They are threaded all the way through and you can insert the aperture from either side.

You just have to choose your setting. I considered finding the closest setting and then filing some off the base of the sight to lower it an in-between amount. Or you could make a layer of aluminum foil or thin spring steel to put under the base of the sight.

Plenty good for hunting as is, though.
Yes, I know how the XS sights adjust but to raise the bullet impact you want to take some off or lower the front sight . I just may do that as it would not take much and if I'm not happy with that then I may go to the Williams sights.
Don't get me wrong here guy's, I love this sight and the way it works for these old eyes. Between the sights and this Winchester 30-30 Trapper I can shoot the wings off a Nat at 50 yards and I love carrying this thing in these thick woods and steep mountains.
I'm just a fanatic at sighting in a rifle and making the sights as perfect as possible. I don't like a scope on a 94, that's just plain ugly and a sin! :( That way if I miss or happen to make a bad shot I know it's not the gun's fault and that it should hit right where I point it. Mike
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I don't like a scope on a 94, that's just plain ugly and a sin]

Amen. :mrgreen: