OT: No deer but

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

OT: No deer but

Post by bigbore442001 »

I was rewarded with a very wonderful and unique sight to behold and lift the senses.

Dad and I decided to hunt Connecticut with the bow rather than Massachusetts so we took off early this afternoon and went to the farm. Dad walked with me a ways to his stand then I made the trek up this hill with a cut down cornfield and surrounded by woodlands on two sides.

I stood in my perch like some large funny looking owl waiting for a deer. At 3:45 PM I made one bleat on my doe call. Five minutes later I heard a doe blow and take off. I figured she winded me but the wind was from her to me. Hmm. What could it be?

As I was standing I got ready for one simple reason. I could hear something through the woods. The forest floor is littered with fallen leaves and the ability to walk without making noise is almost impossible. As I heard the noise come closer to me I got my Bowtec Guardian ready. At 4:00 I looked out into the field. What I saw surprised me. A bobcat. Then I saw more movement. Another bobcat came bobbing along. Then another. It must be a female with two kittens. The kittens were trotting along with the mother as she sat in the field thirty yards from my perch. Soon I saw another movement. A fourth bobcat came into view. I could not believe what I was seeing. I had four bobcat sitting and walking around within thirty yards of my treestand. I watched them for a while then I had an idea.

I concealed most of my body behind the oak I was up and made a short noise on my deer call. That got their attention. All four looked in my direction. Soon the mother walked back down the field with the kittens but the middle one which I guess to be a young male walked directly towards me at sat a mere twenty yards away. He had a lot of white in his face and had a white tipped tail. After a few minutes the bobcat sauntered off to where he came from. Soon I could hear movement. The four bobcat were walking through the undergrowth and circling my treestand. As I stood still I could see movement. Soon the young male poked out of the brush on a small run. He looked up at me. Again he had a lot of white in his face and the sides of his jaws looked rather thick. As he stood and watched his little bob tail would twitch from side to side. It may sound silly but I waved my fingers at him. He wasn't impressed and still watched me for a while longer. Then he stalked to the side. Prior to this all of the bobcats made a lot of noise in the woods. I almost thought they were a flock of turkeys. The bobcat then stood on a rock and watched me intently. The two kittens were playing near a large ash tree about fifteen yards in front of me. After a few minutes the bobcat made a kitten like squeak. Then he moved off and all of the bobcats headed further into the woods.

All the while I wished I had a camera. Sure enough this would be the photo opportunity that many people would crave and it happens to me. It still amazes me what you see inthe wilds.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: No deer but

Post by brno602 »

bigbore442001 wrote:I was rewarded with a very wonderful and unique sight to behold and lift the senses.

Dad and I decided to hunt Connecticut with the bow rather than Massachusetts so we took off early this afternoon and went to the farm. Dad walked with me a ways to his stand then I made the trek up this hill with a cut down cornfield and surrounded by woodlands on two sides.

I stood in my perch like some large funny looking owl waiting for a deer. At 3:45 PM I made one bleat on my doe call. Five minutes later I heard a doe blow and take off. I figured she winded me but the wind was from her to me. Hmm. What could it be?

As I was standing I got ready for one simple reason. I could hear something through the woods. The forest floor is littered with fallen leaves and the ability to walk without making noise is almost impossible. As I heard the noise come closer to me I got my Bowtec Guardian ready. At 4:00 I looked out into the field. What I saw surprised me. A bobcat. Then I saw more movement. Another bobcat came bobbing along. Then another. It must be a female with two kittens. The kittens were trotting along with the mother as she sat in the field thirty yards from my perch. Soon I saw another movement. A fourth bobcat came into view. I could not believe what I was seeing. I had four bobcat sitting and walking around within thirty yards of my treestand. I watched them for a while then I had an idea.

I concealed most of my body behind the oak I was up and made a short noise on my deer call. That got their attention. All four looked in my direction. Soon the mother walked back down the field with the kittens but the middle one which I guess to be a young male walked directly towards me at sat a mere twenty yards away. He had a lot of white in his face and had a white tipped tail. After a few minutes the bobcat sauntered off to where he came from. Soon I could hear movement. The four bobcat were walking through the undergrowth and circling my treestand. As I stood still I could see movement. Soon the young male poked out of the brush on a small run. He looked up at me. Again he had a lot of white in his face and the sides of his jaws looked rather thick. As he stood and watched his little bob tail would twitch from side to side. It may sound silly but I waved my fingers at him. He wasn't impressed and still watched me for a while longer. Then he stalked to the side. Prior to this all of the bobcats made a lot of noise in the woods. I almost thought they were a flock of turkeys. The bobcat then stood on a rock and watched me intently. The two kittens were playing near a large ash tree about fifteen yards in front of me. After a few minutes the bobcat made a kitten like squeak. Then he moved off and all of the bobcats headed further into the woods.

All the while I wished I had a camera. Sure enough this would be the photo opportunity that many people would crave and it happens to me. It still amazes me what you see inthe wilds.
I have only seen one Bobcat in my life and he ran like the wind! very nice and something you will remember always.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

You're lucky. I've never seen a bobcat or cougar while in the woods. I have had one cougar run across the road in front of me. That's it.
Old Law Dawg
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That is a great hunt! Much cooler than shooting a deer.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wow,that would surely make My Day.I never saw a Bobcat. I once spent most of a day deep in some big woods.sitting on a hillside, very comfortable place.didn't see a Deer that day but about 30yds below me was a big rotton log.along comes the only Mink I have ever scene and He goes in one end and a Mouse runs out the other.the game of Mink and Mouse went on for along while and the Mink finally won.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I can have a great day hunting without shooting anything just watching the critters mull around in the morning. For me, its mostly squirrels , possums and skunks though-- never saw a wild bobcat, much less a whole litter of them
----- Doug
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I am building a camp house (almost completed) on my weekend property. One evening, about 30 minutes before dark, I was sitting on the small porch eating a sandwich. I glanced toward the single lane private road that leads to my place where the section of road crosses the levy of a neighborers pond. Just emerging from some trees was what I first took as someones pet cat exploring. I was trying to figure out who's cat it was since it's quite a ways to any full time residences, then I realized the cat was quite tall for a house cat. The bobcat was upwind of me and never realized I was there. It took it's time walking down the road. Luckily, my jack russell that was on the porch with me never saw the cat. I thought it was pretty awesome to see it just walking along like that.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Seeing four bobcats at once makes for a greta day in the field.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Wow.. That would have been a great treat for me to see... Glad you enjoyed it...
I've seen two Bob Cats...One while deer hunting at least 30 years ago...Early morning but the sun was well up...He was about 100 yards away when he came into view...I never saw a more wary animal.. He was moving through dried grass eight or ten inches tall... He'd take about three or four steps... stop, look all around... then a few more steps and the same thing.. I watched him do this a good a good five minutes, but I needed to move to another area.. As soon as he saw me move it was warp speed away and gone...Last one I saw was three years ago.. Must be half tame as there is no shooting around here but there's plenty of game...Deer , Turkey, Quail and tree rats...The occasional Yote. Anyway it was morning...he was unconcernedly sitting on a high spot sunning himself not fifty yards from the road I was driving by on..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY