40-82 WCF Shooting Results With a Lyman Tang Sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

40-82 WCF Shooting Results With a Lyman Tang Sight

Post by geobru »

Recently, I finally splurged and bought a Lyman tang sight for my 1886 Winchester. Due to my old eyes, I wanted to see if that would make much difference in my ability to shoot more accurately. I took the rifle to the range a few days ago and got it dialed in at 100 yards, then for giggles, I thought I would put a target out at 200 yards to see what the drop is at that distance. This is the first time I have shot the gun at that range.

I was amazed at the results The group measured 3 1/4 inches across!

When I started shooting this old girl, my 50 yard targets weren't this tight! The 100 yard target was pretty good, but I was so tickled by this group that I forgot to get it off the hundred yard board, and had to get back to work before I could reenter the range.

Sixgun said it well in a recent post: Winchester made some accurate guns.! 8)

Next time, I'll have to figure out how much I have to raise the sight to be on at 200 to overcome the 26" drop.
Last edited by geobru on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 40-82 WCF Shooting Results With a Lyman Tang Sight

Post by 2X22 »

That is some fine shootin', George! Good sights make for good groups and vice versa.

What was your load?

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That's a good looking old rifle,and some real fine shooting.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

JerryB wrote:That's a good looking old rifle,and some real fine shooting.
+1 on that...very nice!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

geobru,

Try moving your tang sight up 3 to 3 1/2 turns. That should get you very close to zero at 200 yards.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Excellent George! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: There is definitely something to getting that peep farther back and the accuracy gained. The rear peep truly "ghosts" out when you get it close to your eye, vs. the ones that are farther foward.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Really cool.. Nice shooting!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Excellent! That old 40-82 is a fine rifle to have.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

2X22 wrote: What was your load? 2x22
26 gr 5744, cornmeal filler, 270 gr. cast FNGC bullet.

Cimarron Red wrote:geobru,

Try moving your tang sight up 3 to 3 1/2 turns. That should get you very close to zero at 200 yards.
Thanks Red. I was going to start with 3 turns because it appears that one revolution moves the POI about 4 inches at 100 yards, so it should be like you said, 3 or so turns.
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

Congratulations, that's good shooting. I gotta say tang/peep sights are great! I found that out a few years ago when my eyes past their 50 year mark.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I hear ya. I just celebrated my 59th a week or so ago and I no longer have 20-10 vision. :(

For this shoot, I had a 3" circle on a sheet of paper, with a long sheet below it to hopefully capture the bullets. The sight picture for me was pretty bleak. I couldn't even make out the circle through the sights, so I held a relative position at the top of the paper as if I were shoooting at an animal. I was able to center the post in the middle of the paper, line it up with the upper edge, and fire.

A friend who was there, tried a 3 shot group and had 2 within 2.5 inches and the third was a flyer and it was a 6" group for him. He had never fired the gun before, and I don't think he'd ever shot through a tang sight before. I'm sold on them now! One of the guys at work laughed when he saw that group and said, I can see that for the next two years you'll be putting them on all your levers!

You know, that's not a bad idea. :wink: