Savage Model 99E Questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
swamp_stalker
Levergunner

Savage Model 99E Questions

Post by swamp_stalker »

First of all, I am new to the forum. I was referred here by a fellow gun enthusiast.

Last week I saw a posting on a local sportsman website for a Winchester 308 lever gun for $150. I saw it as soon as it was posted and called and said I would take it. When I got there I found it wasn't a Winchester, it was a Savage Model 99E. Goes without saying I bought the gun.

The oval stamp in front of the lever says 25S. From what I have read in my research, it should have been produced in 1965, the last year of the smooth stock and fore. I think they started checkering them in 1966. The Serial number is in the 1.3 millions, and it has "High-Pressure Tested Steel" stamped in the barrel.

There are a few things about the gun I am not sure about, and I was hoping somebody here could help answer a few questions. First, there is a filler piece where the rear sight should be on this gun (See picture below). I am not sure if it is factory, or if it was done by a gunsmith. It is perfectly smooth and level with the barrel.

Second, the finish on the gun isn't blue what I would have expected. It has the look of much older gun with worn out bluing. The color is very even, and the same on every component of the gun. Is this a factory color, just worn out bluing, or something that was custom done?

I really appreciate any help and/or comments.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... 8Large.jpg

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... Medium.jpg

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Savage Model 99E Questions

Post by Old Ironsights »

Very nice looking rifle... and for $150? I'm sure one our LE guys will be happy to haul you in for Highway Robbery. :twisted: Jeez, should I ever be so lucky...

First, the rear dovetail has been filled because the previous owner never intended to use Iron Sights. some of those fillers are closely filed steel blanks, but I've seen everything from brass to lead used to fill them.

I couldn't tell, but it also looks like there is no front sight... correct?

The reason the bluing is worn on the reciever like that is... it's a well used Savage. Point of balance is right there, so that is where the gun is carried. Lotsa hand-holding with that girl, and I'm sure she appreciated it.

I also think the stock has been refinished. No biggie, but it is what it is.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
swamp_stalker
Levergunner

Post by swamp_stalker »

Old Ironsights wrote:Very nice looking rifle.

First, the rear dovetail has been filled because the previous owner never intended to use Iron Sights. some of those fillers are closely filed steel blanks, but I've seen everything from brass to lead used to fill them.

The reason the bluing is worn on the reciever like that is... it's a well used Savage. Point of balance is right there, so that is where the gun is carried. Lotsa hand-holding with that girl, and I'm sure she appreciated it.

Thank you for the reply. No front sight on the gun, but on close inspection you can see it was removed.

Yes, I could tell the rifle was well used. There is minor surface rust on the belly of the receiver that looks like three fingers. You could tell it had been carried a lot. If the wood has been refinished, I will probably go ahead and have it blued as well. Hopefully if I ever decide to sell the gun it wont hurt its value too much.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

swamp_stalker wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:Very nice looking rifle.

Thank you for the reply. No front sight on the gun, but on close inspection you can see it was removed.

Yes, I could tell the rifle was well used. There is minor surface rust on the belly of the receiver that looks like three fingers. You could tell it had been carried a lot. If the wood has been refinished, I will probably go ahead and have it blued as well. Hopefully if I ever decide to sell the gun it wont hurt its value too much.
She's a shooter, not a seller. Between the missing Iron Sights and refinished stock the value is all in the use & enjoyment. I wouldn't reblue it unless you are really hot to because unless you wear gloves whenever you carry it you are just going to wear the blue off again.

I'd just clean the rust off really well and then rub some Johnson's Paste Wax into the exterior metal. But that's just me and how I was told to maintain "white" gunmetal.

I think you will find that that will be one of your more enjoyable guns to hunt with.

Now all you need is an 1892 clone in a pistol caliber to match a revolver you have and you will be well and truly hooked. :mrgreen:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
swamp_stalker
Levergunner

Post by swamp_stalker »

Man, thanks for all the advice. I will do like you said and get the surface rust off and use the wax you mentioned. I hunt a lot so the gun is going to get used. Gonna have to get the ancient Tasco Worldclass off of it though. I think the eye relief on it is about 3/4". :lol:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I followed 86er's advice and put a Burris Timberline 3x9 on mine. It requires a funky mount but it works well and gives good eye releif.

I used Weaver mounts: 14 (48014) 19 (48019) (front & rear) and the 49043 1” EXT HIGH MATTE "extension" mount rings.

I may order/try the 49091 1” MED EXT MATTE rings though. I'll have to see how the cheek weld works.

I went this route because I have Irons on my rifle too, and if I break my glass I want to be able to rip off the scope & bases easily and screw on my Lyman Reciever sight so I can keep hunting.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
swamp_stalker
Levergunner

Post by swamp_stalker »

I have a Leupold Rifleman sitting in my safe feeling neglected, so I will probably replace the Tasco with that. This lever gun will make a perfect companion to my Marlin 336 30-30, which has open sights for brush hunting the swamps.

I keep my guns very well maintained so I have never had to deal with surface rust. I did a bunch of reading, and the advise is all over the road. Seems like most people recommend 0000 steel wool soaked in gun oil, but there are some guys who say your actually creating future rust problems by using steel wool and recommend a no-scratch scotch-brite pad. Seems to me like the scotch pad would be a better choice if it works.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Well, you have a tube gun and a pointy bullet gun, so you are well on your way. ;)

Welcome to the fire. :D
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That stock has been changed from pistol gripped to straight but the lever wasn't modified (at least not completely. I think you can do what you want to do and you will ADD value to that gun. You got a good deal overall.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
swamp_stalker
Levergunner

Post by swamp_stalker »

Hobie wrote:That stock has been changed from pistol gripped to straight but the lever wasn't modified (at least not completely. I think you can do what you want to do and you will ADD value to that gun. You got a good deal overall.
I have seen several pre-1965 99e's on Gunbroker that have the straight stock. Why do you believe it isn't original?
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Either the stock or the lever was replaced. It has the curved lever of the pistol gripped stock. It didn't come that way. One or the other was replaced. I was thinking the stock was replaced as tang cracks are quite common with the 99 but given the fantastic fitting of the stock I'm not sure. Doesn't matter, if I'd seen it first I doubt I'd have baulked at twice what you paid. A good buy on a great rifle.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
swamp_stalker
Levergunner

Post by swamp_stalker »

Buffboy wrote:Either the stock or the lever was replaced. It has the curved lever of the pistol gripped stock. It didn't come that way. One or the other was replaced. I was thinking the stock was replaced as tang cracks are quite common with the 99 but given the fantastic fitting of the stock I'm not sure. Doesn't matter, if I'd seen it first I doubt I'd have baulked at twice what you paid. A good buy on a great rifle.
Gotcha. Thanks for that explanation.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Thanks for posting....There were two E model Savage 99s... One with the straight stock and lever that was mfg'd in the 20s & 30s... Then reintroduced in the 60s with a pistol grip walnut finished stock... So, as Hobie pointed out, you have replacement wood, which looks pretty nice BTW... I'd say the lever remains in original configuration... Way more work to mod the lever than replace the wood IMO... Here's my 1960 99 E 300
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hobie wrote:That stock has been changed from pistol gripped to straight but the lever wasn't modified (at least not completely. I think you can do what you want to do and you will ADD value to that gun. You got a good deal overall.
Nice catch. Totally missed it... :oops:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nice looking figure in that wood. You sure got your money's worth. I'd say the reason they advertised it as a Winchester was because it's a .308. An honest mistake for a non gun enthusiast.
When I was looking for glass for my #1 I was told to look at a Leupold as they generally have a longer eye relief.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
swamp_stalker
Levergunner

Post by swamp_stalker »

Rusty wrote:Nice looking figure in that wood. You sure got your money's worth. I'd say the reason they advertised it as a Winchester was because it's a .308. An honest mistake for a non gun enthusiast.
When I was looking for glass for my #1 I was told to look at a Leupold as they generally have a longer eye relief.
Thanks. This isn't the first time I went to look at a Winchester or Marlin lever gun only to find out it was something else. A couple months back I went to look at a Marlin 30-30 only to find out it was a Rossi 45 Colt. I guess for some people calling a lever action gun a Marlin is like calling a Pepsi a Coke. :?: