Inherited a 1950 Winchester Model 94, got some questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Toms_1950_Model_94
Levergunner

Inherited a 1950 Winchester Model 94, got some questions

Post by Toms_1950_Model_94 »

Its got surface rust on all external metal bits, have not dug into the innards. Whats the best way to remove said rust?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Inherited a 1950 Winchester Model 94, got some questions

Post by J Miller »

Welcome to the forum.

I'd use either Hoppe's #9 or G96 Gun Cleaner with some 4-0 or finer steel wool. Saturate the wool and the surface of the gun and lightly go over it.
Others here on the forum have recommended bronze wool, but I've not tried that yet so I can't comment on it.

I have a 1950 Win 94 Carbine too. Really nice lever guns.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Inherited a 1950 Winchester Model 94, got some questions

Post by Bruce »

Copper cleaning pads such as "Choir Boy" which are sold in grocery stores. Make sure they are pure "all" copper with no other metals included. Use them and oil as described above. If you have a real stubborn small spot, you can use oil and a pre 64 penny, which is all copper. Use the edge of the penny.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum