Look what I found!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Look what I found!

Post by Bigahh »

Was going through my Dad's Filing Cabinet today looking for his Birth Certificate for him. I did not find it, but what I did find is an absolute Mint 1937 Winchester Rifle-Shotgun-Ammunition Catalog. All the goodies are in there. The 71,65,64,94, and on and on. Heres a picture. The model 70 is listed, but it says in Bold that it is available after Jan. 1st 1937. Boy, do I wish I could place an order from this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Look what I found!

Post by JReed »

Now that is a cool find :mrgreen:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Still reading it, and the Model 70 in 3 variants is listed 1st with the model 71 on the very next page. I believe the 71 was introduced in 1936 the year this book was printed. When did the model 70 replace the 54, same year?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Oh Man!

Can I put in an order for a .30-06 Model 70 with an 18" barrel, no sights and a D&T'd receiver?

My Grand father bought two Model 70's not long after that. One was a .257 Rbts and the
other a .250-3000 Savage. We still have the .250 Savage! I do believe that is the LAST rifle my Dad
will ever part with!!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Very cool!
NRA Life Member
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Congrats Bigah. Can you tell me if the Mod. 37 single shot is in that catalogue?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Now that's just nice :mrgreen:
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Good find. Enjoy it.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

That book is 10 yrs older than I am and it looks a whole lot Better. I Love Old books and catalogs. Were Prices in it ( Just Curious )
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Wow, that is absolutely great. Enjoy it!

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

C. Cash wrote:Congrats Bigah. Can you tell me if the Mod. 37 single shot is in that catalogue?
It sure is! They tout it as the new Semi-Hammerless Single Shotgun. "Steelbilt, Low in Price, and Hard Shooting, along with a Big Write-up. Heres the page....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

pwl44m wrote:That book is 10 yrs older than I am and it looks a whole lot Better. I Love Old books and catalogs. Were Prices in it ( Just Curious )
No Prices, I was hoping for that, but none listed.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Bigahh wrote:
C. Cash wrote:Congrats Bigah. Can you tell me if the Mod. 37 single shot is in that catalogue?
It sure is! They tout it as the new Semi-Hammerless Single Shotgun. "Steelbilt, Low in Price, and Hard Shooting, along with a Big Write-up. Heres the page....

Thank you Bigahh!!! I really appreciate you copying that page. Since these guns were not serial numbered and difficult to date, I have been hoping for a number of years to see what the hammer profiles were like on the first ones, and date them that way. They changed slightly throughout the years. Your picture shows me what the first ones look like, and has helped me greatly in the quest. Thank you again.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:Now that is a cool find :mrgreen:
+1 8)
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

I read somewhere that Winchester had planned to introduce the Model 70 first (hence the earlier model number) and then the 71. Some production problem supposedly held up the Model 70 a bit, and the 71 came to market first.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Been reading that book every night, and just thinking, and dreaming. I called my dad to ask him about it. He told me that in the summer of 1936 he and my Grandfather went gun looking as he called it. He was 11 years old, and he saved enough money to purchase his 1st Gun! They took home that book, and he purchased a model 67 after looking it over. My Grandpa also bought him a Model 12 to go with it. Before fall a Model 64 in 32 WS with a 20" barrel, and a Model 63 was also purchased after having to order both. I have both those rifles now. Sadly the model 67 was stolen out of the cabin in the mid 70's. Not sure if the book is about newer Firearms or not as the Model 94 is not actually listed at all. I looked it over many times, no page missing either.
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

a literal time machine, how cool...........

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin