Browning BLR lever action 7mm-08 will not fire

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Fighterpilot
Levergunner

Browning BLR lever action 7mm-08 will not fire

Post by Fighterpilot »

My Browning BLR 7mm-08 would not consistently fire the last time I went to the range. The hammer would not drop on the chambered round when I pulled the trigger and I could feel the trigger clicking over the release mechanism. It's acting as though the lever is not locked up thereby engaging the trigger. I'm using Winchester Silver Ballistic Tip ammunition.
When the chamber is empty, the gun will fire each and every time the trigger is pulled. With a round in the chamber, it is intermittent. Sometimes it will fire, sometimes it won't.
Does anyone know if this is a simple adjustment of the lever and bolt mechanism? The gun is in like new condition with only about 40 to 50 rounds through it. It has never done this before my recent trip to the range.
Thanks!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Browning BLR lever action 7mm-08 will not fire

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome, it does sound like the match of the dimensions of the ammo/chamber may be in question.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

To eliminate an ammo problem maybe try some from another manufacturer. If it works then obviously ammo.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

My 358 win BLR has a very tight chamber. It will not let the bolt fully seat and the hammer not drop with oversize reloads.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

You probably have crud build up in your chamber throat , which is not allowing the cartridge to chamber all the way. Give the chamber a good cleaning with a brush and solvent.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I agree about the crud. I'd give the rifle a good cleaning and try it again.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My 243 did have a problem with what the gunsmith said was likely polishing compound in the neck of the chamber that caused high pressures until at his direction I used a patch and brush with some tooth paste on it. Then I cleaned it with Hoppe's or the like.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

So now that you've cleaned it and tried different ammo, does it work?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

If the rifle is new, it could have excessive packing grease in the chamber area, and does need a good cleaning.
Fighterpilot
Levergunner

Post by Fighterpilot »

I can assure you guys that the rifle was clean and the chamber free of any "crud". I will double check however, just to make sure, there is always the possiblilty.
I did change ammunition from the Winchester Silver Ballistic Tips to Federal Vital Shock. The gun fired all Federal ammunition without a hitch. This makes me believe that the chamber is tight and the Winchester plated cases are just a bit larger and not seating deeply enough to allow the bolt to consistently close all the way. So, from now on, I'll hunt with a plain brass cased ammo like Federal or Hornady.
One ammo I'd like to try in my 7mm-08 is the new Hornady Superformance SST. Have any of you guys tried it yet in your lever gun?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Makes sense - the chamber and the bore on my 243 are tight.