Making a Rifleman - progress

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Making a Rifleman - progress

Post by 86er »

Here's my 4 yr old, soon to be 5. This is a single shot Springfield that I cut down for him. Shooting CCI CB Shorts. We finally moved back to 25 yards. The target is a little smaller than a deer's vitals at 8". 8 shots here. Might be ready for hunting season if we up the caliber and keep the groups as good or bettter. Shooting is the reward for completing his first guitar lesson today and will continue to be a reward after each lesson. Let's him be motivated to do both things, and do them well.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Making a Rifleman - progress

Post by JerryB »

That is great, I can remember that same smile on my kids and grandkids. I know you are as proud as he is.
Open sights too.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Oh ya, he is ready to protect the fort right now!
That's a boy that loves guns! :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That is awesome, and you're bringing him up right!

I did one thing different with my kids though - I started them out using .22 LR, but after trying a 'Cricket' or 'Chipmunk' or some other marketed as a 'kids' gun, I did the same thing - got a better quality 'adult' gun with serious sights, but with a buttstock sized for a real KID. With the guns I had on hand, cutting them down short enough for a 4-6 year old kid not to have to put the buttstock under their armpit to shoot, would have been perilously close to violating ATF rules, plus ruined or permanently altered the gunstock.
86er wrote:Image
So. . . I used a CAR-15 'Shorty', with the collapsable buttstock all the way down - that way the kid could put the stock on his shoulder, and not have to 'crunch down' so far with their neck to get the sight picture, like they have to do when they use most other guns, with the too-long buttstock under their armpit. Even the little .22's they sell "for kids" are too long for the age kid I like to start out - 4-6 years old, like yours - they must assume some of us are starting out 'kids' who are already 14 years old, 5 ft tall, and weigh 100 pounds...!

Anyway, the CAR worked really well, and the rugged peep sights made a natural for teaching sight use, plus their higher-than-average axis is easier for starting out. Oh yeah, plus as my son said - they look "really cool"... :roll:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Good point about the short stock. Between the barrel length and stock the darn thing would be illegal if I made it shorter. Imagine a .22 single shot for a kid being illegal because of its size. Sheeeshhh......
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Way to go Brandon!

keep it up and he will be ready for his birthday big game hunt!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent Joe! Brandon looks about as happy as a kid can be, and I don't blame him. As you know, I did the same thing with Y2K with his Marlin 15YN. Never thought about the overall length, but can't imagine it is shorter than a "chipmunk" or "cricket". Like you said, can't believe anyone would have an issue with a .22 bolt action for a kid!

You're doing good!!! :D :D :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Like you said, can't believe anyone would have an issue with a .22 bolt action for a kid!
Some of the Alphabet-Goons the feds turn loose on the citizenry would probably LOVE to find a 'too-short rifle' in that scenario, and kick the doors in; it would look good on television, and isn't nearly as dangerous as actually finding a violent criminal and confronting them. :evil: (Remember, these are the same kinds of ego/power trippers who gleefully shut environmentally sound businesses down over some trivial EPA, or handicap-friendly restaurants down due to some nit-pick ADA technicality, or very safe places down due to OSHA - only with guns.)

Plus, it probably bugs the heck out of them to see an ordinary American kid growing up the way a kid should, learning independence, responsibility, and strength, instead of docile subservience to the Goon-Gods.

Good to see there are still some red-blooded American kids out there; maybe we're not done for, after all. Plus, if you have a kid who likes guns 'n stuff, they have a BIG incentive to do lots of chores around the place (to earn ammo money or save towards a gun), as well as a hunting buddy... 8)

Anyway, if you get a chance, try the collapsable-stock AR as an option; good for a .22LR 'trainer' but then later on as the kid gets bigger, he can turn it into a real tack-driving varmint rig, or just remove the .22 LR adapter, and keep it as a shorty in .223 Rem for use as a 'bad times rifle' insurance policy.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

Nice shooting keep up the good work on your shooting and the guitar
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Joe,

Looks great! Love the great big grin. :D :D Enjoyed visiting' yesterday... figured a short ride wouldn't bore 'em... enjoy the Rossi, I'll look forward to hearing' some range reports. I'm waiting to hear about what needs doing', gotta pay some bills, so back to the grindstone.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Good job Dad.
Great idea on the guitar lesson for shooting.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That smile says it all. He's one lucky fella... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote: Anyway, if you get a chance, try the collapsable-stock AR as an option; good for a .22LR 'trainer' but then later on as the kid gets bigger, he can turn it into a real tack-driving varmint rig, or just remove the .22 LR adapter, and keep it as a shorty in .223 Rem for use as a 'bad times rifle' insurance policy.
Only problem with that is at 12 years old, I still pay for all of Y2K's ammunition. I want him focused on grades first and foremost, Boy Scouts, and then the state-winning (had to throw that in :wink: ) archery team he's on. Earning money at his age is way down the list. Once I exposed him to the .223, I knew I was sunk. He shoots it like it was a .22RF! :shock:

I'm going to have to get a second job... :(
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

YK: "I'm going to have to get a second job..."
Sorry to be the one to tell you Jay.... But you don't have the time for a 2nd job!!!

Back to the original post...

I think Ted Nugent would support the Guitar & Guns combination.

Great pix.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

Wow! Nice looking group for offhand shooting. I even wonder if I could do as well :D

I just found out that I am soon to be a Grand Dad and still can't believe it! Boy, what I have to look forward to :D

Walt
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Don't let Brandon's smiling face fool you :D . You get him out in the woods with a rifle and he is as serious as any grown man. He's going to be a heck of a rifleman and hunter. Between Brandon and CRS's grandson Troupe, we might get kicked out of our hunting spots, BY THEM!!!!
Ricky

DWWC
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Excellent! I like your guitar/shooting strategy.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Joe,

Check yer PMs.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Well done. He looks pretty big for a 4 yr old- even one almost 5!.
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

Youth gun- $250
Ammo $15
Targets $7

Smile on his face -priceless!!!

Need more pics of kids with ear to ear grins like that. That kind of smile only comes from having FUN.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Great post, Joe! Another Ted Nugent in the making!!! Guitars and guns...I love 'em both!