Rossi Levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Rossi Levergun

Post by RustyJr »

Was wondering if anyone has heard anything good, bad or otherwise concerning the new rossi called "The Rio Grande". It looks like a copy of a marlin 336.

Thanks,
RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Rossi Levergun

Post by J Miller »

Rusty Jr,

We've hashed 'em over a couple times here, but I don't know of anyone on this forum who actually has one.
The only report I've seen is in last months American Rifleman. And they aren't exactly a good source for honest evaluation.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

American Rifleman is the first I have seen of them. I wonder if it is going to be worth owning or if it is going to be like mossberg's copy of a 94. :(

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I don't see why anyone would buy a Brazilian copy of a Marlin 336 when you can still get the real thing.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

At least the Mossberg is American made and the original is no longer in production. Why anyone would buy a Brazilian Marlin knockoff boggles my mind as well. If it's a money thing there must be half a dozen used Marlin .30-30s at various price points down at my local gun shop right now.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

I have handled one this past Monday at my local gun store. The fit and finish is good and as bad as it may sound, the action cycled better (smoother) than any 336 I have ever owned or handled. I mean real smooth and it requires almost no effort to open it. I can't vouch for anything else and did note the rear sight leaves a lot to be desired. It is a big wide open one that will not allow a pin point sight picture. I did note the cross bar safety and the one I handled would not let the safety be placed on safe unless the hammer was cocked. You could then lower the hammer by the conventional method. I also noted that that hammer had a half cock position and the trigger appeared to be clean, crisp and light. I did not dry fire it, just cycled it with my thumb. This one also came with the scope mount base installed. I can go back and get more details if anyone needs more information.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
One aspect of the Rossi Rifles is EXPORTATION. Here in Peru if I was wanting a new lever gun the total price in my hands for a Rossi is normally 35% less than an import from the U.S. Guess what rifle a working man out in the jungle or a high altitude village is going to choose ? I have been here in southern Peru almost 25 years and about 10 years ago I saw ONE Marlin levergun. That one was chambered in .357.
But Rossi lever guns are redily available.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The Rossi I evaluated immediately after the SHOT show was not exciting. I did not get to fire it so I cannot speak of accuracy. The sample I had was well balanced, had good wood to metal fit and very deep, dark bluing. It operated smoothly without any drag or feel of grinding. It fed and threw dummy rounds robustly. Other than that, it was unremarkable. I couldn't help but wonder why they would copy a Marlin so closely when the Marlin is still available. Maybe someone fed into the rumor that Marlin was closing or wouldn't produce the 336 due to their move. The wood profile on the Rossi was a little thinner and the rear sight ladder was plastic. I heard that has been changed to metal. The recoil pad was kind of hard, I like the lack of checkering and the front sight was dovetailed on to the barrel and lacked the Marlin style ramp. For the money, you could get a Marlin or Rossi Rio Grande and end up with the same quality rifle as far as I could tell. I would have liked to have put 500 rounds through it and re-evaluated it but firing the prototype wasn't allowed.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member