For Those Who Shoot The 30-30 Long Range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

For Those Who Shoot The 30-30 Long Range

Post by Sixgun »

Fellow Guncranks,
How 'bout this. There must have been a time when people thought the 30-30 was a long range cartridge. :D And metal cased at that! Maybe it was meant for law enforcement to shoot up the mobsters cars & bullet proof vests :D

I was dusting off my cartridge collection when I ran across this box of 30-30's. IIRC, I bought this box in the early seventies at a gunshow. As this box does not have "Olin" or "Winchester" on it and it and that it states it was "non corrosive priming", my guess it was made between 1927 and 1931.

I pulled a bullet to see what it looked like. Kinda neat and weird. As the box is in not too great of shape, I think I'll take it to the gunclub and test 'em out. :D -----------Sixgun

Flanked by a 175 gr. Saeco and a 170 Sierra FP
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: For Those Who Shoot The 30-30 Long Range

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Chances are better that it was done to reduce the bearing surface which would allow for higher velocity without increasing chamber pressure.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

That is interesting to say the least. I'd love to shoot a few at distance to see how they hold up,
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I wish I could find some 170 gr FMJ 30-30 bullets, of any base type. They loaded them years ago, but I've not seen any. I'd like some for carry rounds when out kicking around in the hills around the edges of where the large things live.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Whadya consider "long range"? I have shot my .30-30 out to 500 meters... just doesn't weigh enough to take out rams. Last big match I shot mine @ 200 yards and 400 yards with some degree of success. Winds were "variable/light" so I only had to hold high left about 22" off center to drop them in the center of the target. (That was using my 200 meter sight setting).

Those bullets would be a hoot to test out.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What's the "contains no glass" printed on the box for...? :?:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I never figured out why anyone ever thought of the 30WCF as a 'short range' cartridge. About 10 years ago I took a very nice blacktail buck at just a hair under 300 yards. I listened to Paco and used a 150gr SBT single shot style out of my '94.

Easy shot.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

AJMD429 wrote:What's the "contains no glass" printed on the box for...? :?:

IIRC, from Hatchers Notebook, glass (ground) was used as a filler (additive) in an attempt to reduce fouling. I don't remember if it was in the primer or powder though. Maybe someone else has a better memory or the book nearby.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Yeah, I'll bet sending flaming silicates down the tube does wonders for bore life.

I wonder if it reduces fouling by sanding the bore down on the way out.

:wink: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Ground glass (very fine) was put into the priming compounds as a means of insuring good ignition of the powder charge. I have read somewhere it was very common in 22 rimfire cartridges. It was thought to aid the combustion. It was also felt, by many shooters to cause rapid wear of the leade in the throat and the lands of the barrels. It was dropped because of this. I think it is mentioned in "Hatchers Notebook" where he wrote of various types of priming compounds back when they were looking for reliable non-corrosive priming. The military was looking at a lot of compounds, but their primary interest was longevity or shelf life of their ammunition. Hatcher tells of a few different types of mixes. Some worked very well, but would have reduced shelf life due to climate and other factors. At least that seems to be what I remember. Interesting stuff they did back then. Frankfort Arsenal worked at it long after commercial firms were offering non-corrosive priming. Good Luck, hope they shoot well.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Sixgun,
Nice vintage box. I have the same one except that it is not in as good a shape as yours and it only has a few cartridges in it. Awhile back, I and another fellow did some research and found that it was introduced in 1929 and was last listed in 1946.

Here's an illustration from the 1941 Western catalog.

The difference in downrange ballistics between it and the standard 170 gr. flat base would be insignificant due to the flat nose. In fact, there is no difference in retained velocity between the 1941 (boat tail) and 1947 (flat base) Western catalogs. I rather doubt they actually tested it though.

I believe it was strictly a Marketing strategy to attempt to sell more .30-30 Western brand ammunition. I could be wrong though...... :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jack,
You want 'em? You coming to the State Champs at the end of the month in Bradford?

Gunny and I are leaving on Friday morning and it looks like we will be "tenting" it as Bradford allows us to camp. Gunny is currently at Camp Perry---he gets to do all the fun stuff---ain't fair being a retired Marine with a big fat check every month. :D --------------Jack Jr.
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

The name 'Winchester Western' arose following the acquisition by Winchester of the Western ammo company. I don't know when that occurred.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

As some of you may recall .. a few years ago we did long-range plinking with the Model 94 .. out to 1100 yards. My 190 gr. cast bullet load would take down the rams at 500m but that was limit of the sight at that time .. here's the article about it ...
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylo ... grange.htm

The next year I came back with a home-made sight extender and had a good time shooting at the long-range buffalo target. I am not sure where that article got to.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

Lawyer Daggit wrote:The name 'Winchester Western' arose following the acquisition by Winchester of the Western ammo company. I don't know when that occurred.
IT IS THE OTHER WAY AROUND; WESTERN CARTRIDGE COMPANY[ OWNED BY JOHN OLIN..] BOUGHT WINCHESTER WHEN WINCHESTER WAS GOING T/U. VOILA!!!; W-W WAS BORN.
FOR THE RECORD, UNION METALLIC CARTRIDGE [ UMC.. OWNED BY MARCELLUS HARTLEY] BOUGHT REMINGTON WHEN IS WAS GOING T/U ALSO. GUN COMPANIES COME AND GO, AMMUNITION COMPANIES SEEMINGLY HAVE A LICENSE TO PRINT MONEY. NOTE AMMO COSTS THESE DAYS !!!
AND SO IT GOES....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH