Slightly off topic: Shot my new(to me) 36 caliber.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Slightly off topic: Shot my new(to me) 36 caliber.

Post by HEAD0001 »

I finally made it out to the front porch to shoot my new(to me) 36 caliber Southern Mountain Rifle that I bought used a couple of weeks ago. I picked up all my accessories, including a new range rod so I was ready to go.

I did not know for sure what load to start with, so I started with 30 grains of 3F BP, and a round ball with a .015 patch. I thought this load would be a good load to start with.

I have a 2" gong sitting about 50 yards from my front porch to shoot at with my 22 rifle for practice off the porch. So I took aim from an off handed sitting position , and whamo, I hit the gong with the first shot. The sights were dead on at 50 yards with this load. I was very happy with the results. So I ran a wet patch then two dry patches and reloaded. Next shot, whamo, I hit the gong for the second shot. This rifle is shooting dead on at 50 yards.

I realize a 2" gong is a pretty big target at 50 yards, but that is what I have off the front porch. So that is what I shoot.

I put several more shots down range, and my brother shot it as well. The rifle loaded easily on every shot and was busting the gong about every shot. So I think it is ready to go and bark a few squaks!!

I might shot the rifle on a paper target before season, but I do not think it is necessary. If I can hit the gong at 50 yards then I think I can bark em pretty good with that rifle. But I probably will still do a little fine tuning.

I was going to buy a mold and cast some conicals for this rifle. But now I do not think I will cast any conicals for this rifle. I can not think of anything a conical will do at 50yards that a round ball will not do?? And I do not think I will be doing any deer hunting with this rifle. However iffin I am able to get out then the raccoons will be in for a hurtin!!

If I make it out squak hunting this year it looks like my 9422 is going to spend the fall in the safe. I better take it out at least once. I do not want it to feel too lonely!! Especially since I just picked up a case(on sale) of 22 sub-sonics. But then I will burn up most of them off the front porch. Tom.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Slightly off topic: Shot my new(to me) 36 caliber.

Post by Griff »

HEAD0001 wrote:<snip>I realize a 2" gong is a pretty big target at 50 yards, but that is what I have off the front porch. So that is what I shoot.
Might be me... but, I'm of the opinion that a 2 inch target at 50 yards ain't so big. :P :P YMMV. :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thats a great squirrel rifle indeed. sounds great. What type of loading rod are you using. biggest complaint i have heard about the caliber and smaller .32 is the loading rod is too frail and breaks often. Your thoughts?
Last edited by rjohns94 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Get ahold of the fellow at Cain's MZ supply in WV. He makes custom range rods. They are not very expensive, and do a great job. He will cut them to length also if you want. They are good people to deal with. Tom.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Tom there was a family run business a few years back that I used to deal with up there in WV called Mountain State Muzzleloading Supplies. IIRC the family name then was Cain.

It may not be by the books buy I'll tell you one thing a .36 conical will do... it will drop a whitetail in it's tracks. Your legal minimum is most likely .45 though.

Another thing you might want to look into is the hunt they have up at the National Radio Observatory in Green Bank, WV or what ever they call it. Deer run all over that place and they draw to hunt there, but you have to be a state resident to get in so I'm out.

Good luck! :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.