OT- Old photo: surprise for me!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Old photo: surprise for me!

Post by rangerider7 »

I have been trying to find a photo of my great-grandfather, that was a Lieutenant for the Georgia 24th infantry in the Civil War, for 45 years. A cousin finally found one and he sent it to me yesterday. I never knew what he looked like. This photo was taken around 1900 with his sons. He is middle bottom and my grandfather is top left. He was captured by Custer August 16, 1864 at the Guard Hill Engagement and sent to the Delaware Prison. After he was released he went to Texas and founded the town of Gustine with a man by the name of Blankenship after staying for a short time in Peoria, Texas. Peoria is just a 6 miles east of me. I know exactly where his old place was. Along with the six sons, his wife Harriet and him had five girls. I now have a photo of both the boys and him and the girls and her. I know this isn't to exciting for y'all but it is something I wanted to share with all of you. :D

Last edited by rangerider7 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT- Old photo surprise for me!

Post by iceman »

Great picture! Sure is nice to have family pictures. It is easy to see that they are brothers lots of family resemblance. Thanks for sharing.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

You sure got your grand father's looks.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The family resemblance is incredible. I am interested in family history. I have very few pics of ancestors I can identify. And almost no family left to help me ID them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

WONDERFUL !!!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Old photo: surprise for me!

Post by .45colt »

Well... it's pretty excitin to Me. Along with all of the other pic's You post here.Thank You for takin the time to put all of this up.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Satisfying, and gratifying, ain't it? Historical family photos elicit strong personal feelings. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I know of where you speak RR.. Neat post... thanks
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

So right Mike D, thanks guys, and yes I do favor my grandfather. :)
"That'll Be The Day"
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I often see old interesting pictures in which no one knows who they are any more. It is a real treasure to have the old pictures, know who they are, and be in the bloodline!

Super!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

.45colt wrote:Well... it's pretty excitin to Me. Along with all of the other pic's You post here.Thank You for takin the time to put all of this up.
Same here. Even not knowing the people in the pictures, knowing something about them is nice, even for us 'outsiders'. Thanks for sharing.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great picture RR7. That is a treasure indeed. It seems like, for these old Southern families especially, we get our first real glimpse of them about 1900-10 or thereabouts. Maybe it was about the time that they truly started to recover from the Civil War and be able to afford such extravagances, and/or photography had become so much more widespread. Thanks for sharing!
PS: here is my oldest(abt. 1910), and not to far away from your group. My Grandfather Homer Cash is on Left, with twin bros. Odis and Ottis, sister Stella. With their new outfits, the boys look somewhat like Russian peasants! Taken at "The Breaks" in Knox Co. Texas. Their parents came from Tennessee abt. 1880-1, passing through Fannin and Hunt Co's before settling in Knox.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's neat to have family photos from that far back. I've seen a photo of my Great Grandfather on my Father's side, but one of my Uncles has it. It's the only one I know of.
NRA Life Member
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I look forward to your posts with the old photographs, keep them coming. Family photos are even more interesting. I know of only one photo of my Dads grandfather. He died of a heart attack at age 41. I am a few years older than that. It is odd thinking about being older than my great grandfather ever was. Kevin
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

That is truly priceless.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Dang.... No neat old holsters?!?!?

Still -- a great pix -- a good find, for sure!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Your pics are always good, but seeing the family pics and putting your roots together and sharing that is better yet. I like chasing down family history and collecting the old pictures. Knowing who and where you came from can help get you where yur going.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Aye, having family pictures is extra special.

Here's one of my grandmother's Uncle on the right, his business partner and partner's son working on rendering down a whale they'd caught.
Tom Jackson.jpg
Another photo from the same year, of two of her brothers in a group that were the first to go whaling around Campbell Is. Center rear row and right center row.
Campbell Whalers.jpg
Chasing whales from shore in row boats... hand thrown harpoons... what nerve!? Another of my Mom's uncles represented NZ in the Olympics as a rower... go figure!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats! Finding a piece of family history like that is simply a treasure beyond measure! 8)