What Makes a Collectable?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

What Makes a Collectable?

Post by mikld »

I ran across two Winchester M94s in a local pawn shop. Both kinda ragged; little blue left, minor dings in wood and metal. Standard (short 20"?) round bbl. By the serial numbers they were made in 1953 and 1956, both in 30-30. Doesn't seem to be any "bubbaing" (from the little I know) on either one so, what would make an older, pre '64 Win. worth any more than a shooter, if anything?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: What Makes a Collectable?

Post by J Miller »

mikld wrote:I ran across two Winchester M94s in a local pawn shop. Both kinda ragged; little blue left, minor dings in wood and metal. Standard (short 20"?) round bbl. By the serial numbers they were made in 1953 and 1956, both in 30-30. Doesn't seem to be any "bubbaing" (from the little I know) on either one so, what would make an older, pre '64 Win. worth any more than a shooter, if anything?
Being used and "Both kinda ragged; little blue left, minor dings in wood and metal.", they are not collectibles. They are more desirable to many people as shooters due to the simple fact they are pre-64s but that's about it. To be a collectible they'd need to in perfect mint condition preferably in the box with hang tags and all the ephemera.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

What Joe said :lol: They made too many model 94's for rough specimens to be worth much. OTOH, a Winchester '73 or an original '76, '86 or even '95 would be worth considerably more in the condition you describe.

However, what something is worth to you as a collectible can be an entirely different thing. A lot of guys on here like rifles with character, surface flaws on a 60 year old rifle , as long as they dont detract from how it shoots, can add to a rifles unknown mystique--- but not necessarilly to their dollar value --- I have a couple of rifles like that.

If the finish is gone and there are some dings in the wood, i can imagine it spent many good days in the field or riding in a saddle scabbard before i got it, and a bonus to rifles like this, is many of them only got fired a handful of times a year, so i have seen a lot of rifles in very good mechanical shape with finish wear on the outside
----- Doug
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Joe is right. However, that hasn't kept some owners including gun shop owners from thinking their beat-up old 94 is nearly as valuable as Colt SA #1.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, "Certain" pre-64 Winchester 94's, MAY have a "special feature" (or two), unbeknownst to the casual gunbrowser, that would put it's value MUCH above what look like it's twins - even in deplorable condition (due to the rarity of the special feature).

IOW, You GOTTA know exactly what you're looking at (get ejumikated) - all may not be as it seems at first glance.

I've made some tidy profits that way, over the years (keeping me in more guns than I would ordinarily have been able to have) - buying a diamond from an "expert", who didn't know what they really had, & reselling elsewhere.

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

J Miller wrote:...Being used and "Both kinda ragged; little blue left, minor dings in wood and metal.", they are not collectibles. They are more desirable to many people as shooters due to the simple fact they are pre-64s but that's about it. To be a collectible they'd need to in perfect mint condition preferably in the box with hang tags and all the ephemera.

Joe
the beauty of buying a gun like this, is you can enjoy it, shoot it, and it will retain its value - even appreciate - as long as you take reasonable care of it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

What makes a collectable? Condition & rarity. In guns (or anything for that matter) that there are large quantities, condition rules. Anything else is a "shooter". An example is post war 94's. For a post war 94 to be collectable, it has to be in 98% or better. Another example would be a 1968 Camaro--if its in your backyard and shot full of holes, its junk. If its pristine, its $$.

In rare guns, originality and condition determines value. Example--Henry's & 1866 Winchesters These are all collectable, even the junkers.

The more well known a firearm is or if it has connections to history (famous battle, etc) usually the more desirable they are.---SA Colts & early Winchesters
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"FWIW, "Certain" pre-64 Winchester 94's, MAY have a "special feature" (or two), unbeknownst to the casual gunbrowser, that would put it's value MUCH above what look like it's twins - even in deplorable condition (due to the rarity of the special feature).

"IOW, You GOTTA know exactly what you're looking at (get ejumikated) - all may not be as it seems at first glance."

Sixgun: +1

--Pete44RU

BINGO! and you both get one of the best five cent see-gars in the box....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Anything that is not made anymore; but rarity and condition determine the value. Even dug up relics have a collectable value. To each his on.
"That'll Be The Day"
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Thanks men. I figgered they were just beaters but I don't know enough about Winchesters to determine any rarity. I guess the Pawn Shop owner thinks they're special at about $450.00 each.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[ guess the Pawn Shop owner thinks they're special at about $450.00 each.]

Not really............ AFAIK, Pawn Shops assign each item taken into pawn an Actual Cash Value (ACV), then calculate each item's retail price from that ( about 200-300% higher ).

I'd be surprised if that broker had more than $75, cash, into each of them.

Maybe one of the pawnshop guys, that are members here, could chime in.

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

mikld wrote:Thanks men. I figgered they were just beaters but I don't know enough about Winchesters to determine any rarity. I guess the Pawn Shop owner thinks they're special at about $450.00 each.
That doesn't sound too insane a price , plus with a pawn shop, you may be able to get it for 375 - 400 --- I have seen many over the past year or two in similar condition as you describe with $800 tags hanging from the trigger guards
----- Doug
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The above answers are correct inasfar as they go... but, if you always remember it this way, you'll never get confused:

A Collectible Firearm = any gun another fellar hast that you want.

What a Collectible Firearm is not = Any gun you have that another fellar is willing to take off yer hands.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

Griff wrote: A Collectible Firearm = any gun another fellar hast that you want.

What a Collectible Firearm is not = Any gun you have that another fellar is willing to take off yer hands.
While I agree in principle with most of what everyone above has said, I think Griff came closest to my feelings on the subject.

Any gun that I get in my hands that gives me that way too familiar feeling in the gut, and any gun that shows me a great time in the field or on the range is collectible. To me, every gun in my safe is collectible. They're mine, and will stay that way. Others may not think so based on the gun's specs or appearance alone, but that's OK since they can't have them anyway.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Knowledgeable Winchester guys generally consider the collectible period for the 1894/94 to run from start of production until circa serial number 1,850,000 (early 1950's). After this period the carbine forearm (the rifle was gone in the early 1930's) was changed to the 'short wood' variation. This is readily seen in that the wood protruding forward of the barrel band went from a dimension of 1 7/8 inch to 1 1/4 inch.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I have a hard time grasping the "collectible" theory. Anything and everything is collectible. To certain people those 94's are collectible and they would pay more for them. Not a premium but more $$$ than someone just seeking a shooter. I've seen collections that include all sorts of less expensive guns - SKS's, Mosins, Enfields, H&R Revolvers, etc etc. I'm sure there is someone out there collecting tang safety AE's that would be willing to pay good money for one if it fits his collection. Well maybe that is going to far.

But it seems to me you question is "What makes a collectible valuable?". The straight answer has already been brought up, Rarity and Condition. But it's more than that. Let's face it, you don't see a whole lot of collector interest in mint condition Yugo's. Bet those are rare as hen's teeth. The more people collecting an item helps immensely. Will those 94's be valuable? I'm betting they will continue to go up more in price, than say an AE model, as the currently sought after, good condition 94's get snatched up.

Example: Gun A is a mid 50's 94 in similar condition to the ones you saw. Price today is $450. Gun B is a mid 90's cross bolt safety 94 in VG condition. Price today is the same $450. In 25 years I'm betting the older pre-64 will be worth substantially more than the AE model. An even bigger spread in 50 years. Neither gun is rare and the AE is in better condition so why do I think it will be worth more? Because more poeple will want Gun A even with it's lesser condition.

LK
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

"But it seems to me you question is "What makes a collectible valuable?". The straight answer has already been brought up, Rarity and Condition."

And don’t forget the “who owned it” factor.

For instance, if you had a documented, plain-jane Win. 94
bought from K-Mart back in say 1972 by Tom Selleck.
I would think you have something a little more than your
average post 64 model 1894. :wink:
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Any gun some guy with several tables full at a gun show has all collectables. Most are rare, unique, seldom seen, owned by General Patton when he invaded the Philipines and so on. What ever you have is worthless, worth no mention. Just remember all gun show dealers are trained by used car dealers and most never met their fathers. Have fun. Remember the sale they make will make them wealthy beyound belief and they can retire and sail around the world in their custom built sail boat. :mrgreen: