OT: I was defeated by something miniscule

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

OT: I was defeated by something miniscule

Post by bigbore442001 »

I hate to admit defeat but I was defeated by something that was about two inches long. Yesterday I did some shooting with the TC with the 45-70 barrel attached at our range. While there I noticed something in one of the rafters It was a huge horse fly. One of the big ones with large green eyes and that flesh penetration probosicus that was poised beneath it's ugly head. I didn't pay too much attention and had hoped it would go away. It went off and I shot 20 rounds of 45-70 which is enought in the Contender for me as well as a number of 22 Hornet rounds.

Well I did a repeat of the same session today but I cut it in half. It seems that the brobignasian horsefly was back and it became more aggressive in nature. It was a real pest. I defied it as best I could with my hat. In fact there was a point where I could have shot it off one of the shooting benches but I think that would earn me a suspension from the range. Things will be different next time. I plan to shoot tommorrow to finish up the ammunition but with a difference. I will have a big can of wasp killer. When that evil virago lands on the railing it will be euthanized with a well aimed shot of toxic emulsion.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: I was defeated by something miniscule

Post by Pete44ru »

Time for another gun - a rubber band pistol......... :mrgreen:

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

2 words...

Dust Shot.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd hang a very SWEATY t-shirt at 100-yards, and sit with a benchrest and 6mm Remington or .22-250 or whatever, and when that sweat-seeking horsefly lands out ther on the t-shirt, PICK IT OFF with your 'varmint' rifle... :twisted:

In the 1970's I did just that with a 6mm Remington Ruger M77V. It was very fulfilling... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Not a bad idea Pete, but I was thinking more along the lines of a BB pistol.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

When it's horsefly season here, or regular flies become a nuisance, I carry a flyswatter around. Yes, even in the mountains. I cut a piece of boot lace long enough to make a loop, attach it through the swatter handle, and carry it looped over my wrist. Killing horseflies is quite satisfying, no matter the comments or looks. Works for the odd skeeters also.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

How about a 12 ga. breaching load,,,never go undergunned.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

When they come around the garage or range, ANY aerosol will work in a pinch (spray paint is probably a bad choice though). I've used WD-40, brake cleaner, Rem-Oil, CLP, anything I can blast em with. Like all insects, they breath through their hide, and can't do that well when "oiled" or dissolving in brake cleaner.
Certified gun nut
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Hairspray! Their wings stick together and they fall to earth. Then you can take your time and mash 'em slow. It give 'em time to think about where they went wrong and experience some regret.

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Ever get bit by one o' the little bastids? Payback is a biotch. ... And all of them from here on pay.

Perhaps it's cruel, but I prefer to trap them lightly under a piece of paper or cloth and then drive a large pin or a finishing nail through their little thorax while they try to escape.

I like the crunch.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Catch them alive, introduce a broom straw into the thorax from the rear, release them. Very entertaining watching them fly away, and they never bother you again.
UNITE
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Hairspray! Their wings stick together and they fall to earth. Then you can take your time and mash 'em slow. It give 'em time to think about where they went wrong and experience some regret.]

NAW ! - Hairspray........... Then, when they fall to earth, pull the wings OFF, and let them walk awhile. :twisted: :mrgreen: