Fitting fibre optic sights to BL-22

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Renegade Master
Levergunner

Fitting fibre optic sights to BL-22

Post by Renegade Master »

Hi Guys

I am thinking about getting these

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2603 ... IRE_SIGHTS

for my BL-22. The ad says they will fit the BLR, does anybody know if they will also fit the BL-22?

Cheers

Dan
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Fitting fibre optic sights to BL-22

Post by Pete44ru »

In my experience, with those "sets", when putting them on a gun unspecified for the particular set, you're usually going to need a front sight that's higher than the one included in the set.

Now, when I do an "out-of-the-box" installation, I get better results if I do some measuring first, then order the individual front/rear sight needed from Williams, or whomever.

In addition, you might want to take a close look at the BL22's rear sight dovetail slot - as IIRC, Browning/Miroku cuts the slots deeper than other manufacturers - which means that the body of a replacement sight, just above the narrow neck of it's male dovetail will need some file work to be able to clear the barrel top so the sight's dovetail will slide into the slot.

Renegade Master
Levergunner

Thanks for the info Pete, that makes a lot of sense.

Do you know of any that are designed for the BL-22?

Dan
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Not specifically, since the "sets" are generally designed/developed only for market share - aka rifles that have sold in the multiple millions, like the 10/22 and Marlin 336/Winchester 94's.

I've used the Marlin 336 & Win 94 sets on 9422's and Henry H001T Octagon Frontier's - but the Henry needed a higher front sight, as noted previously.

Image Image

Renegade Master
Levergunner

Cheers Pete
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Dan send a email to brownells tech support they will recommend the proper sights for your bl-22, sights for the blr and bar are different than the 22's. danny
Renegade Master
Levergunner

Cheers Danny, will give that a go.

Dan
Renegade Master
Levergunner

Update

Well, thanks to Danny's suggestion I have had an exchange of emails with a really helpful guy at Brownells called Steve.

It turns out the dovetail on the rifle should be a standard 3/8, so all I need to do is let them know the height I need and they should be able to supply me with something that works. :)