St. Francis Dam - revisited

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

St. Francis Dam - revisited

Post by El Chivo »

I finally got the chance on Memorial Day to go look for the St. Francis Dam site; I thought it would be appropriate on Memorial Day and a good chance to explore.

I had some 10-year old instructions that said that only a few remnants of the dam remain - a block or two of concrete. The instructions were based on the old San Francisquito road which I found has been re-routed. This got a little confusing, so I climbed up on a ridge to get a better view.

As soon as I did I came face to face with a giant piece of concrete from the dam. I said a prayer and squeezed past it to get a better look.

I didn't see much, just looked at the old road. But when I turned around to go back, I saw more concrete on the next hill.

I crossed over to climb to that hill, and I realized I was now on the dam itself.

If you look at the first pic of the slab, in the far background is the section of canyon wall that gave way. You can see it again in the background of the previous picture.

While standing on the dam, I also took a shot of the giant rock in the distance. You can see the view is almost the same as the picture taken back in the 1920's.

Some have said that only a few slabs of the dam remain, but actually the whole thing is still there. The old road ran right through the break, and the new road is cut through the other end of it.

One amazing thing, once you get up there, is to see the expanse of the area that used to be under water. And in front of the dam is another large space of canyon, that funnels into a pretty narrow opening. You can see how that much water could have created a great deal of force when concentrated into that funnel.

The location is easy to find, if you go to the intersection of San Francisquito and the forest road (5n30 I think), you can see the dam - it has crumbly concrete on top. You can access 5n30 from either San Francisquito road or Lake Hughes road.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
bdhold

Re: St. Francis Dam - revisited

Post by bdhold »

The Wilkapedia article has some familiar-appearing photos.
The analysis in the article also gives 3 solid strikes as to why the dam failed.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

El Chivo,

Wonderful pics. I love that "then and now" of the big rock.
Would it be possible to get the area on Google so we could a bit pic? I'd do it but I don't know where this dam was / is compared to the rest of California.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great work El Chi, I am going to have to look for that rock - downstream from A Place To Shoot if I am following you right.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hankster
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hankster »

I had an old copy of Popular Science from the 60's I believe that did a full article on the Dam burst. They had pictures showing the old Dynamo's still bolted to the powerhouse foundation... but nothing around them. Can't remember how many, but a lot of people got killed that night...

The Wiki site has good info AND pictures! The picture POP Science used is in there too!!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I've been reading a little more, apparently the dam itself was only 185 meters wide, so what I was standing on must have been the wing dike that was added to increase the height by 10 feet. That was built over the adjacent hill. The gap from the edge of where I stood to the other bank was probably 200 meters or so.

A Place to Shoot is just a few yards upstream. Where the forest service road meets Francisquito Canyon Rd, that is the spot. If you stand there and look downstream, you're looking right at it. If you go south to the next turnout, you can park and take the steep path at mile marker 12.16.

Google gives these coordinates: 34.528904,-118.515015
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Disaster Fan
Levergunner

Post by Disaster Fan »

There has been much written on the dam disaster but if you want a completely different take - really good stuff - start with www.b-westerns.com/villan71.htm
It's about the “Hero” of the dam disaster and at the bottom of the article are links to a series of stories on the disaster published in the Santa Paula Times.
This gal has been writing about this for years - she seems the first that really, really questioned all aspects of the dam - and her stuff is fascinating. Seriously, check it out.
The whole disaster was a tragedy… and I've been to the site myself in recent years and want to thank all of you for your great perspectives!

Disaster Fan
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have been to that site a few times. Years ago I worked with a guy who said his wifes mother was killed when the dam broke.