OT sorry. 870 express

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

OT sorry. 870 express

Post by Nath »

I got that 20g 870 express, it fits and is a hoot.

In the pictures background is the village where I live.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT sorry. 870 express

Post by Nath »

I have taken some good long shot crows and a pidgeon or two. It is very lively and quick to the shoulder. I only have a MOD choke but have a IMP,CYL on the way.

7/8oz loads seem ample and Tia approves :D

I tested some buck shot out that I have had kicking around for years. It should be good to 25yds on a small deer.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Hard to beat a good 870 Nath, I've had mine for near 40yrs now, and it don't show near the age I do. :shock:
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Nice shotgun! Enjoy it my friend. I usually use 1 oz loads in mine, I just like having a little more shot in the air. You might be surprised how a good old foster rifled slug shoots. Mine with a fixed modified choke does pretty good. Have fun and keep us up to date with your hunts.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Nath I have a 870 lwt 20 in 23/4" I take pheasants, huns, different kinds of grouse, ducks and geese (honkers).
I noticed that one of the horses in the background has a blanket on, you guys have a problem with rain rot in sunny ole GB :lol:. danny
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Great guns. My dad has one that I have been trying to talk out of for years he keeps telling me to go buy my own. :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Yessir!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

That is good stuff. Would be proud to own it! Congrats Nath!
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Congrats Nath...looks like that fine shotgun has already started on a long & fine career...

Keep it oiled (or waxed up), the finish has a tendency to rust in more humid climates.

LB
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

BigSky56 wrote:Nath I have a 870 lwt 20 in 23/4" I take pheasants, huns, different kinds of grouse, ducks and geese (honkers).
I noticed that one of the horses in the background has a blanket on, you guys have a problem with rain rot in sunny ole GB :lol:. danny
Danny, most them horses are petted by their female owners and a craze has swept the nation just like the way they wrap them little toy dogs up :roll: They will most likely take them off in June and have them back on in August :roll:

Leverbob, the 870 is coated in my best black powder lube, beef fat and olive oil! Thats why the dog loves it!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well Nath it's good to see you're keeping Tia happy. We wouldn't want to get our priorities out of place now would we?

Jr. and I searched Shotgunworld.com high and low for the advice of more experienced on the conclusion as to the level of quality of the 870 Express vs. the Wingmasters. The consensus of opinion was that which ever you buy, by the time you put 500 rounds through it they will both be about the same as far as smoothness is concerned.

In reflecting I guess it would be unfair to put a well worn in gun up against a brand new one of any make and manufacture and expect them to be equal.

As the years go by I think the 870 might just be about as good a go to gun as anyone could have and the 20 gauge is about the perfect power level as well.

Congratulations :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have an 870 Wingmaster 20 gauge with a fixed mod. cyl barrel and have never had one moment of trouble with it. It is easy to take down for cleaning, it is great for ringneck pheasant, and my grandkids will someday shoot it whenever I have any.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations Nath, I'm sure you're going to have lots of fun with your 20GA 870.
Not sure why you needed such a large gauge though, Junior's 28GA is plenty.. :lol:

Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

BEST SHOTGUN FOR THE MONEY....
IM GONNA GO SHOOT MY NOW.....SKEET
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

RIHMFIRE wrote:BEST SHOTGUN FOR THE MONEY....
IM GONNA GO SHOOT MY NOW.....SKEET
That took me back. Used to have a pair of 870 Express that I set up for skeet, a 28 and a .410. Got the chokes honed and added the magazine endcap weights Remington made for the skeet Model 870s (Numrich had 'em). A LOT cheaper setup than the alternatives. The 28 averaged not too far off my 12 & 20 ga scores, but the .410... I found out real quick why skeet shooters sometimes call .410s "idiot sticks"; if you're not 100% on with that little thing, it'll make you feel like an idiot when the targets keep flying off untouched!

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I bought another Express just a couple days ago. It's set up as a completely different animal. 12 ga, 3" chamber, 18 1/8" barrel (measured from the breechface to the muzzle), marked "cyl" and wearing the "Remington"-brand marked topfolding stock with "For Law Enforcement Only" stamped on the side. Native to Walter MittyLand; that stock won't fit anyone nearly so well as the basic hardwood Express stock and it's got to hurt to shoot folded (and likely won't hit anything). Regardless, that mall ninja tactifool stock is why I bought it; years ago (about 25!) I read that Remington had a serious policy of not releasing this stock style to regular citizens so it seemed likely this'd be a bit of a rarity. I know a quick search on GunBroker didn't show any others like it so back the next day and...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great work there Nath. Because to the handling and the way it naturally points for me mine is more fun to shoot that any other I have ever shot!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

In my opinion you chose what is perhaps the best shotgun produced. Considering design, price, matt finish, 20 ga., interchangeable chokes and barrels and 3" chamber, I fell in love with it years ago.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Looking good Nath and all. I have an 870 Wingmaster that my Dad gave me......never a hitch with it and very easy to hit with it. My sons will hopefully be shooting it long after I'm gone.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

+1 on Gobbler Forge.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Nath, here in the states, I think there is an unwritten law that everyone should have an 870 Remington or it's equivelant and at least one .30-30 levergun. I also believe that unwritten law pertains to Canada too. So, in England, you should have it also...just my 2 C. Congrats.
I think it is a written law in Australia though.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice photo's GF :D

So fellers just who did design this action for Remington?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I don't know Nath but I sure like my 870's. They fit me better than any other that I've tried - of the genre. I have an older 870 20 guage wingmaster - fixed modified choke. Feels like a wand in my hands.

I like the laminated stock on yours - there's a 12 guage like that at the local fun shop - been looking at it... :shock:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Pick up an 870, shuck it a few times, take it out & shoot it & yer lips will do the rubber dance while you go OOOOOOHHHH! :shock: Work it while you listen to the radio & you can even keep time with the music. It'll get so slick it will drop open all by itself when you hold it up.

Nath...if'n you ever get short of olive & black powder oyl...horse blubbers work slick as goobers from a pregnant cow. But then...you're a man that doesn't need to be told. :wink:

My main gun is an older Express in 12 ga. It's smoother than a mud slopped pig & greasier that the chicken poo that sticks to my boots. That's nasty stuff!! It doesn't catch fire either when I shoot doubles. Wish that stuff smelled more like Hoppe's...

(Leverbubba-my cousin-helped me write the response)...

LB
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I don't own one but the 20 ga. Express is one fine gun. With a rifled slug barrel and modern loads one has a 20 ga. rifle. These guns are the best pump guns out there right now.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I have three 870s -- all 12ga. Never had a failure in over 37-years of shooting them. I ran across one in a gun store that had a broken stock and no forend. Since I already had three, rather than get a stock and forend for it I completely stripped it and now have a complete set of parts in my gun parts should I need them -- doesn't seem likely at this point.

I have one of them set up with the Remington 20/21" fully rifled iron sighted barrel that is just awesome out to 150 yards. Makes a great deer rifle and would make a good elk gun in some circumstances. It'll kill hogs all day long (has killed several). I use Remington Copper Solids.

They are smooth right out of the box but over time they smooth out really nice as if lubed with butter.
ED
Yer never too old