New Shiloh Sharps on the horizon

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

New Shiloh Sharps on the horizon

Post by Wayne Miller »

My order was confirmed last week for the following:

#3 Sporter
Half-octagon 26" barrel in 50-70
Military buttstock, semi-fancy walnut (might get upgraded)
Rounded-profile fore end with no fore end cap, semi-fancy walnut, see above
Single trigger set at 3#
Old fashioned bone/charcoal color case hardening
Buckhorn rear sight, blade front.

Finished weight should go 8.5-9 pounds. This is based upon an original converted '63 military carbine I looked at about ten years ago, except it lacks a lever lock. As a coincidence, it ends up being nearly identical to the rifle "Doc" carried in "Young Guns". I'll post some pictures when it gets here...in about two years!
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

If you are going to hunt with them, those 26" half oct are sure much easier to pack around. Mines a 40-90 so yours will be lighter yet. Sounds like a great choice.
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

Well, that big hole in the barrel requires a heavy-half octagon, so I'm not sure how much I will be saving in weight....
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Unless you special ordered it, I doubt your barrel will be any thicker than mine. My barrel is big enough to have an 80 cal hole in it and have lots of meat to spare :D . Mine weighs 9.2# (smaller hole, pewter nose cap). I was hoping for closer to 8.5 but it didn't happen. Even so, it is still "handier" than my #3 sporter just because the center of gravity is centered between the hands better. It's still plenty heavy enough that the wind doesn't move it when shooting off hand.
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

Would you happen to have any photos?
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

My photo capabilites are at a stand still until I get a new computer. My old camera uses floppies and the floppy drive in the puter died. Sorry. I didn't order any special wood on either my saddle rifle or the #3 but both were supposed to come with (forget what they call it) one grade up from the bottom. That is about how I would describe the wood on the #3 but the saddle rifle has fantastic wood; better than some I've seen that were called XX, and both the forearm and butt match. I just lucked out there. I don't know how their wood runs now. The #3 is 23 years old (bought it over the counter in a gun store for $825). The saddle rifle is ~ 20 years old. When ordered they told me it would take 16 months. It took 44 months :shock: :D