22LR underlever advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Renegade Master
Levergunner

22LR underlever advice

Post by Renegade Master »

Hi guys

I have been busy reading threads on here, and a couple of other forums, and have narrowed my choice down to either a Marlin or Browning 22LR underlever.

Marlins seem to be more popular (and available) here in the UK, just really after other peoples opinions of this rifle? I think the model I am most likely to end up with is a 39a, and in fact this is the only lever action I have actually had a chance to fire so far. I will be buying 2nd hand as this is very much going to be a fun gun, and I also need to fill an unused slot on my firearms licence.

There is a gun show coming up at the end of May at Bisley (home of the National Rifle Association here in the UK) and I'm hoping to pick up a bargain. :) Of course, should I see a bargain Browning, I may well go for that instead.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: 22LR underlever advice

Post by Doc Hudson »

I've owned a Marlin Golden Model 39-A since 1978. You'd not be able to fit all the small critters it has taken in a railroad car.

It has been superbly reliable and amaingly accurate. Using that rifle I'v amazed a number of folks using much more expensive target rifles, and sometimes relieved them or excess money in the doing.

As I'm sure you've already learned, this rifle has been in constant production since 1893 with precious few changes. Marlin got it right from the beginning.

As I said in your first thread, i consider the marlin model 39 to be the best .22 rifle on the market, bar none.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Renegade Master
Levergunner

Doc, that's what I'm hearing from a lot of people. I respect peoples personal experiences a lot when it come to buying guns. :D
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING MARLIN 22 LEVERGUNS FOR 50 YEARS NOW, ALL 39 MODELS OF VARIOUS PERMUTATIONS, AND TO THE VERY MOMENT I WRITE THESE WORDS NONE HAS EVER GIVEN ME PROBLEM ONE. ALL OF 'EM SHOT VERY WELL, ALL OF 'EM HANDLES LIKE A REAL-HONEST-TO-GOD BLUE STEEL AND WALNUT MEN'S SIZED CARBINE OR RIFLE. AND JUST IN CASE YOU CARE MY FAVORITE MARLIN 39 IS THE 39CL THAT IS A SLENDER TAPERED BARREL MOUNTIE STYLE CARBINE, THE 39 CENTURY LIMITED FROM 1970 AS THAT WAS THE 100th ANNIVERSARY OF THE MARLIN COMPANY.

EVERYTHING NOTED ABOVE ALSO APPLIES TO THE WINCHESTER 9422 CARBINES.

THE EASTER BUNNY BROUGHT MY WIFE A NEW BROWNING HIGH GRADE BL-22 SOME YEARS AGO. IT IS ONE FINE LOOKING RIFLE WITH A TAPERED 24" OCTAGON BARREL, A PLATED AND ENGRAVED ACTION, AND A SET OF SIGHTS THAT WERE DEAD ON THE MONEY AT 35 YARDS JUST AS I LIKE 'EM. AND LET ME ASSURE YOU, IT SHOOTS LIKE A MILLION BUCKS. IT ALSO HAD THAT DAMNDABLE SHORT THROW LEVER I CANNOT GET USED TO TO SAVE MY FANNY !!!! THAT FEATURE IS WHAT BROWNING USED TO SET ASIDE IT'S LEVER ACTION 22 FROM ALL OTHERS; IT DOES TOO !!! IT ALSO DID NOT BOTHER MY WIFE A HOOT IN HADES AS SHE HAD HAD LITTLE EXPERIENCE TO SPEAK OF OTHER THAN MY MARLIN 39 MOUNTIES. SHE THINKS THAT SHORT THROW IS JUST DUCKY !!!!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
medicdave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by medicdave »

It's all in what exactly your looking for. I have a 39A Golden Mountie that I love to death. It's definantly a traditional levergun, which is what appeals to me. On the other hand I got my Dad a Browning BL22 Grade II for his birthday this year, and with the fancy wood and engraving its a Caddilac of a rifle. The short throw on the lever is much easier on his arthritic hands and he finds it easier to work the magazine tube as well with the push button. The Browning is a gorgeous rifle, but it doesn't fit in with my more traditional leverguns. Pick which ever feels right to you, thier both great little guns...Dave
Last edited by medicdave on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Having owned both at one time or another, I got to say its really a tossup. The Brownings short little lever throw is about as smooth and slick as a hot knife thru melted butter. The Marlin is bulkier, but that bulk makes it a bit better for off hand shooting. Accuracy wise I don't think there's enough difference to even matter.

Hopefully you'll be able to handle both at the gunshow, and go with the one your gut and pocketbook tell you. :)

:mrgreen: Oh and I don't know if they told you or not, but its mandatory around here if you get a new rifle to post pictures and shooting reports at the earliest available time after said acquisition. :wink: :D
Renegade Master
Levergunner

Thanks guys. Will definitely get pics up when I buy one. :D

I have a feeling that my mind may be made up by availability, but we will see what they have when I get there.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The 39A is the only full size rifle. The rest are carbines, but for the long gone and very pricey 9422 Legacy.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have owned 3 Marlin 39's, and I still own a 39 Century Limited (I think it called that), straigth grip, octagonal barrel, carbine. I also have a Browning BL22 Grade II, and a Winchester 94/22mag. I like them all for different reasons. However, I think the little Browning just might be my favorite.
NRA Life Member, Patron