ever droped a pack of primers?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

ever droped a pack of primers?

Post by dbateman »

ok so i just walked inside with a heap of stuff and droped a box of primers...100 pickup (still looking for 5)
any way are theas primers still ok to use can you clean them with any thing to get any oil/dirt off
or should i just use them as are???
thanks Dave
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: ever droped a pack of primers?

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, this depends on just how dirty and what kind of dirt they got on them... just handling them with your fingers isn't the best idea but they should be fine if you dropped them on a realatively clean floor.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

the floor is timber floor boards and it is pretty clean just small bits of lint ??
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Well, this depends on just how dirty and what kind of dirt they got on them... just handling them with your fingers isn't the best idea but they should be fine if you dropped them on a realatively clean floor.
+1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I think you'll probably be just fine.

I remember doing that when my kid was little,
and I spent some time on my hands and knees
making sure I got EVERY primer. If HE had found them,
mama would not have been happy with me!

As long as they're not wet or oily, a couple of specks
of lint shouldn't bother 'em. Heck, they used to put ground
glass in 'em among other things.

-Stretch
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

gotta wonder what happens when the Oreck pics them up...
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

bulldog1935 wrote:gotta wonder what happens when the Oreck pics them up...
It ain't good. Actually, it depends on the vacuum cleaner, the bag before the impeller is not much of a problem, but most of them have the bag after the impeller and running them through the impeller is a sure way to set one off.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Been there, done that. I never touch a primer with my fingers. It's old habit I started when I was young and my body chemicals killed some primers for me.
Pick 'em up with tweezers, blow the dust off and use 'em.

Don't vacuum them up. I dropped some primers in my bedroom long before I was married and told mom not to vacuum the carpet till I found 'em all. She forgot till the vacuum sucked up the one I didn't find. It went off inside the machine and scared the wits out of her.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Lots. I use them for plinker loads. Fingerprints and all.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

One of the clerks at one of our local sporting goods store dropped a box of primers on the carpeted floor last year. No worry. She grabbed the store vacuum and vacuumed them right up. Nary a primer went off.

I don't go so far as to use tweezers when handling my primers but I do make sure my hands are clean.
ED
Yer never too old
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

that's why I said Oreck - they're forced draft direct contact with the impeller, which is what makes them so light and efficient.

but I think even with an induced draft vacuum (bag first) you have a chance the rug bar will set off the primer.
Last edited by bdhold on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

No one ever told me not to touch them lol. With that lil ol lee loader kit I was just picking them up by hand and dropping them right in to the primer seater. No failures yet.

I dunno if a vaccum would set one off though. I beat the stuff out of them loading them and the only one I ever set off took some serious beating... and all it did was make a light pop and turn my palm black.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Who hasn't dropped a 100 pack really. I asked one of my kids to grab me a pack recently and he was curious so he opened the sleeve to see what was inside. Of course, he opened it upside down and about 30 fell into the carpet.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I haven't dropped a 100 pack. First thing I do is put tape over each end if the store hasn't. After use, I tape 'em back if there's any left.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I've dropped them. I've seen a pile of them dropped in gun shops. Even if the store tapes them, some goober will break the tape seal them either open them upside down or drop the whole pack on the floor.
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

[quote="J Miller"]Been there, done that. I never touch a primer with my fingers. It's old habit I started when I was young and my body chemicals killed some primers for me.
Pick 'em up with tweezers, blow the dust off and use 'em.

thanks guys should be ok to use then
I have heard about not touching the primer with your hands dont no how true it is
dont want to chance it
.Dave
still cant find 4 of them :(
Dave Bateman .

Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Years ago I had a string of misfires with some CCI std Small Rifle primers. Either they were a faulty batch (not likely) or they misfired because I was picking them up and loading them singly in a ram on the press. So I would be aware that handling primers likely can cause issues from my experience.

As for the Vacuum cleaner...we have an old floor model Eureka Commercial Vacuum Cleaner that has probably digested several hundred primers over the years in total. What with loading in a carpeted room it's impossible to find them all when dropped live. I've not yet had one go off....but my day may be coming...probably will with the new one I bought this year..and it'll probably ruin the VC....LOL.

Ed
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

primer contact with an Oreck is called a run away. Then a week in the dog house while the dog sleeps in your spot :shock:
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I believe primers have a sealing agent in the cup for moisture protection. I have always handled them with my fingers with no problems in 60 years of reloading.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

"I don't go so far as to use tweezers when handling my primers but I do make sure my hands are clean."

+1

I have used several primers in my 45 years of reloading.
I have yet to have a failure due to a bad primer in a handload. A couple times with factory loads though. :D
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

If your fingers are contaminating your primers you need towash your hands!
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

After reading the thread title, I was expecting a little more excitement. :o
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Yes... :oops:

Do I have to say how many times? :oops: :oops: :oops: