1/2 OT: Won a little contest

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

1/2 OT: Won a little contest

Post by 86er »

Not bragging, just relaying the set-up that I thought was interesting and the fact that I did it with a 1967 Glenfield 30WCF with sights. I saw a County Sportsmans Club fun shoot and it was $5 per event to enter. I grabbed two rifle just wanting to shoot them at longer ranges (out to 250 yds). When I got there I found out I couldn't shoot as casually as I wanted but rather under the conditions set forth in the various contests. I bought two rifles with me, the above mentioned levergun and a Mauser 98 in 375 H&H w/ scope. The first event I entered was the Classic Hunter Repeater. It was for a rifle that holds 5 shots and had to have open sights. Upon arrival my Glenfield had a scope on it. My peep sights were on the gun but not sighted in for the 170gr reloads I had. I yanked the scope off but didn't have a key small enough to move the sights. I shot a sight-in group for reference and adjusted my hold accordingly. My sights were a Tru-Glo orange front bead and a Tru-Glo rear peep with two green dots fitted in the original rear sight hole. The target was two circles on the 14"X14" paper. The circles were within one another, 8" outer and 4" inner. Shots in the 4" were 10, 8" were 5 and on the paper was 1 point. At 50, 100 and 150 yards we shot 5 standing, 5 kneeling and 5 prone per distance. 30 seconds was allotted and each shooter had a timer behind them. The difference between your time per 5 shot and 30 second was added to your paper score for a total. After the 45 rounds, the last 5 were 100 yards offhand with no time, counting accuracy as mentioned previously only. My paper score was 235 with only 3 rounds outside of the 4" circle. My time was 217 or that many seconds less than the 270 allotted. Total of 452 was first place. I won a $50 Bass Pro gift certificate. The next event was the Sportsman's Repeater which was any centerfire that held 3 or 4 rounds and you could use the option of a scope. I set my Leupold on 10X and fired the 260 grain Accubonds at 2400 fps. The course was the same as above except the range was 100, 200 and 250 yards. At each range, 5 standing, 5 kneeling and 5 sitting - which required a reload for each 5! The time allotted was 60 seconds per 5 rounds or a potential 540 maximum time, the score was the same, including the last 5 untimed (just the score counted). I shot a 240 and my time was 466 seconds. This was another first place. The 2nd place guy was shooting a bolt .223 and the 3rd place was a 270 Win Semi Auto. There were 5 places altogether. This won me an Arby's gift certificate and a discount card that included discounts at Bass Pro, oil change places, restaurants, and other services good until March 2011. I spent the Bass Pro card stocking up on fishing stuff I needed. I didn't care about the prizes I just wanted to shoot more than the 150 yds that is typically available where I shoot most often. Anyway, it proves classic cartridges, old rifles, leverguns and even medium bores are more than sufficient for hunting situations and are just as accurate and reliable as other cartriges if the shooter does his/her job! I was proud but humble. Who would've thunk it? The crowd was a varied mix of youngsters with new-fangled synthetic/scopes, etc and old timers with anything you can imagine. It was all casual shooters and hunter, no serious competitors, which made it more fun for me. I wasn't the only levergun, there was another 30-30, a 32 Special and a 22-250 BLR. I did get some squints and raised eyebrows over the 375 H&H! Well, there you have it..... have faith in ye ol' 30 WCF and other 100+ yr old cartridges.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1/2 OT: Won a little contest

Post by C. Cash »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Excellent! That will give a guy a little confidence.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Congratulations on your excellent display of marksmanship!

I thought you were boycotting Bass Pro. I hear tell Cabela's is coming to Allen.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good job, Joe. Thanks for the story. I bet a number of the shooters will reconsider the lowly ole lever action 30-30.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats Joe. Super!

(btw, I'll be home later this week, for about a week and we can do that "ride around" you wanted for the little guys! Don't know exactly when. Just don't let me forget!)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Fine Shooting Joe!
Congats!
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

Congratulations Joe
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Kudos. Bet you don't get a flyer next year :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That sounds like you had fun. Next year you should take CRS's son Colin. If he can shoot all the time like he shot that blackbuck, then he probably would win the contest where you can use a scope. If nothing else, he would give you some stiff competition.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Congratulations and good shooting.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Awesome - goes to show it is the SHOOTER and not just the fancy equipment, that gets the job done.

Especially having to shoot with non-adjusted sights.... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Thanks for the compliments, however my point was to relay the course of fire. I found it to be a really good practice regiment and you can measure the improvement in your time if you have a spotter with you.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Doing us levergunners proud! Congrats Joe!!! :D