70-150 need a 12 gauge rifled slug barrel for 1887 IAC gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

70-150 need a 12 gauge rifled slug barrel for 1887 IAC gun

Post by eagles »

spoke to cap at coyote-cap who has done great work to make their 1887 lever action shotgun top notch and he told me some of his buyers had told them they are getting rifled slug barrels to fit this gun to sort of duplicate the old experimental Winchester 70-150 lever action. cap told me not many people know the 1887 was first designed with this round in mind and Magtech makes brass 12 gauge cases they are using . He did NOT know who they were getting their rifled slug barrels from and every rifled slug company I looked at on the net seems to have gone belly up or the contact info changed . I think this would make a real interesting project . His guns come threaded for a ghost ring site as well which is great . Any help in who could make this rifled shotgun tube ? Thanks .
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 70-150 need a 12 gauge rifled slug barrel for 1887 IAC gun

Post by JFE »

There was talk of doing this several years ago on the Accurate Reloading forum. IIRC one suggestion for the IAC was to thread a length of 12ga rifled barrel on to the existing barrel and create a "paradox" rifled barrel.

Look up on AR a long running thread by "Hubel458" who is into hotrodding shotguns. For cases he uses 50 BMG cases turned and fitted with bases with 12ga rims. Lots of messing around but performance from Savage 12ga bolt guns he uses is incredible. From what I gather the IAC action can only handle low pressure loads.
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eagles »

actualy in talking to cap . he said he made major improvments in the orriginal design and the gun uses the same steel as the AK's that company makes . He said it will handle any high pressure load with ease that any 12 gauge can . WAY more than then orriginal version as well . One just went to an laskan guide as a Brown bear back up with Ghost site installed . He made other internal modifcations you can see on the coyote cap website that makes the gun more usable even if turned sidways when loading. The orriginal had a habit of bannana peeling the cases if the gun was turned on the right side when feeding . What I am really looking for is a full length 12 gauge rifled barrel replacment . I found some, like Hastings etc but they seem to have gone away although the web sites are still their . SOMONE must make custom rifled 12 gauge barrels for the many slug gun hunters . I think a full 20 inch rifled barrel and brass looded shells , making it a lever action 12 bore or an approximation of the 70-150 would be great .
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Man the 87's I have seen looked to have alot of drop in the stock.I'd bet that sucker would really kill on both ends. :) .Looking forward to a range report.Hope it all works out.
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eagles »

Yes those are made for cowboy action , when he heard what I wanted it for, he told me about that drop and it would be stocked without that and a recoil pad as ther Alaskan Guides gun was . I have been told maybe er-shaw can do it and if not Briley can add a three inch rifled choke tube but I would rather have the full rifling if possible .
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

A rifled lever action slug gun.

It would combine my two favorite kinds of firearm.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

eagles wrote: He said it will handle any high pressure load with ease that any 12 gauge can . WAY more than then orriginal version as well.
My earlier comment was in reference to rifle type pressures. Shotgun level pressures should be fine.

Hubel458 on AR should be able to point you in the right direction on barrels and provide an opinion of the sort of ballistics may be possible in an IAC.
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eagles »

I just signed up for the AR forums ,which one was this on , lever actions , etc ? Thanks
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

The Magtec 12 ga brass shells are Balloon head and would not be good for high pressure, as used for rifle purpose.

I also heard this was a Winchester R&D project that never got out of the factory, the 70-150.

One could stub the IAC barrel and install a rifle barrel that way. This is how the Handi-Rifle guys do the Wild-cats for the H&R's. They have all sorts of cartridge combinations. They usually use a donor 12 ga. SG barrel for the stub.

IIRC; this has or is being done with a H&R Handi-Rifle, a 70-150. Check over on Graybeards.com handi forum.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eagles »

Yes the 70-150 was an experiment , but the gun used for that experiment was supposed to be the 1887 action acording to Cap . The Magnatech I think are plenty strong for what I need , Very good performance is being obtained with 2 3/4 magnum slug loads which is enough for me in the this project and probably far more powerful than the 70-150 BP load anyway . I will check that forum out , thanks .
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

eagles wrote:I just signed up for the AR forums ,which one was this on , lever actions , etc ? Thanks
Usually in the Big Bore forum.

Once you are signed in, do a search and I'm sure you'll find several threads on the 70-150. It will save you having to re-invent the wheel.
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eagles »

Thanks for the Info on the AR forum I am awaiting approval . where is it on the Grey beard one , I just searched for the caliber and gun and got nothing ?
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i want to cut the barrel on mine to 181/2" and thread it for remington choke tubes. how do you install a plug to limit it to 3 rounds for small game hunting? :?
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

You could thread the barrel for a rifled choke tube or you could sleeve a Hastings rifled barrel in place. I'd contact Kirk Merrington at (830) 367-2937 to discuss the sleeve job. Tell him Joe sent you.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eagles »

Thanks Im bidding on a hastings barrel , does he have diamond cutting equipment ? I heard the Hastings barrels are VERY hard steel and need realy good cutters to thread . Briley can do a choke tube but the rifled barrel is my first
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eagles »

ok won that barrel and now I need a gunsmith with machinest skills who can cut these threads and instal it . I spoke with Kirk a while back , explained what I needed and he said he would get back to me but did not so I don't know if he can do it or not . Seems pretty easy really for any machinest who also works on guns, its not like I"m looking to get a rare part all hand made , just some threads cut on a barral blank to screw into the reciever . Any more ideas of who I might try ? Thanks .