price of used lever actions question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kbak303
Levergunner

price of used lever actions question

Post by kbak303 »

I did a search but might've missed something...and granted I haven't bought a new rifle in sometime...

but I don't see many bargains (at least where I tend to look in DFW) on lever actions...

is the going rate for honest use to abused levers gone up since I've last bought things?

I see really used specimens of 336 going for prices I used to see the guide guns going for...and a used Marlin .357 with plain wood for $575? A new Cowboy Limited .357 20" for $899?
that pretty well standard?
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: price of used lever actions question

Post by Pisgah »

Your observations match up pretty well with mine. But, I will say that there are still bargains out there.

The keys to finding the bargains are patience and persistence. I can still find mechnically excellent, but cosmetically in need of a heavy refurb, for around the $125-150 mark, and pretty nice shooters needing only a deep cleaning in the $200-250 range. Now, I won't say I can find them tomorrow -- but give me six months, and I'll guarantee it.

Part of the problem a lot of folks are having right now is not so much the high prices as it is the need for instant gratification. If you gotta have it today, you're gonna pay for it.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

The 336 is still available at Wally for around 350-360 bucks i thought, and either Bass Pro or Cabela's was running a sale within the last couple of months for walnut stocked 336's for around that same price (Wal MArt Marlins look to have Birch stocks i think) --- Academy sports has 336's and Guide Guns at competitive prices for new guns ----

Guide Guns hold their value really well -- even if they look beat, there is a big market for people who like to customize them. But i wouldnt really want to pay more than 300 bucks for a used 336 unless it was a nice pre- cross bolt safety model , due to the fact that new ones are not much more than that

On the other hand, with all the accounts of Marlin's quality and fit/finish issues on some of the newer guns --- maybe an older one is a better deal sometimes

link to Bud's Guns price for the Cowboy model 357 -- it was $752.00 , but is out of stock now. --- i'd pay a bit more locally since i can do a visual check , but not $150 more --- i think the places you are looking are a little high

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/adva ... st%5B0%5D=
----- Doug
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

I'd like to find an older Rossi in 357, can't find one, they are all the newer models with the safety thingy. There was one on gunbroker, showed plenty of use, guy wanted $55o for his.

I'd like to find any 357 lever gun for $300 or less, even if it were beat up a little because I like to fiddle around a bit.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Try http://www.gunbroker.com - try a number of different searches

While gunbroker isn't the best place to get "bargains", you can find them there if you check regularly and catch one with a "buy now" - or just something that's not "popular"... ;)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, "any 357 lever gun for $300 or less" = about as likely as snake feathers.

Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I have about quit going to gun shows, other than the small town variety. Lost of used stuff on the table at new prices, along with lots of stuff priced like it was intended for recent lottery winners. I guess everybody's looking for a rube with a big pocketfull of cash money.

I rarely see what I'd call a bargain these days, although they do come along. I passed on a SKS for 100 last year, and a 336AW(?) for 200. I didn't need either of them and referred buyers who did- but didn't have much to spend.

If I'm looking for something specific, I can usually blunt the Obamamania Pricing Effect by being patient. Might not get it 'cheap', but I'm not gonna feed the sharks, either.
Last edited by Sarge on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

Asking prices are unreal in my part of the world, (southern WV). UNLESS I am selling! :lol: the Rossi's bring $400 up, and I have seen used 336's at $450. However I don't see a lot of them selling. Dealers asking $300 for a used black Handi-rifle are not likely to sell many of them when Walmart sells new ones for $250. I think the reason for the high prices is so they can take a trade-in (and still give you less than 50% of worth).
kbak303
Levergunner

Post by kbak303 »

Thank you for the responses. figured it was just me having sticker shock...

I've been able to talk a few down, but not much down. I go to one store alot because it's on the East Side of Ft Worth on the way to pick up my stepson from school, so maybe I'm just not out beating the bushes right. Sell a couple of these pistols and a couple of Mosins I have stacked up...then I'll have some wampum to argue with LOL
thanks
KB
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I too echo the comment about the unrealistic prices at gun shows. I can't tell if they are that inflated, or now that so many of us are internet active, we can see how badly we're being ripped off. I root around the random gun show just looking for small items like parts or other odds 'n ends that are hard to come by. This is usually on the 'old guys' tables and a lot of times once you get talking you get a good story along with what you're buying. Real parts I order.

*Some* pawn shops are still good. My favorite in eastern KY I visited this weekend. Usually his prices are around $200-$250 for Glenfields, $250-300 for 336's in 30-30, Winnie 94's post-64 around $325-350. Odd calibers, .44, .444, 45-70, add 25%-50% above that depending on condition.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

You aren't imagining things, prices are that bad now. The 2 gun shows I've been to this year didn't have much for deals. #2 show didn't have any Winchesters but #1 had 5 or 6 in 30/30. One was a beat up pre-64 that I don't recall the price on the rest were all post-64 with a couple crossbolt saftey AE's thrown in. Rusty, beat up samples were priced at $400 and I didn't see one below $500 in good condition.

Hint: before you even look at the guns a gunshow dealer has, check his price on .22 ammo and primers. The good dealers have fair prices on these. The bad dealers are still asking $25-30 for bulk Federal 550 packs they buy at Walmart for $15 and $40-50 on primers. If they don't have fair prices on these they won't on guns either.

Gunshow #1 had 3 dealers (outta 100?) that I like to deal with and have fair prices. Those guys did't even bother to show up at the smaller gunshow #2 and leave that one to the junk gun, knife(musta been 20 tables of these thing's) and milsurp gear guys.

BTW, the same guys with the over priced 94's quoted me book (3 differnet dealers) for my clean pre-safety 94AE. $250 from each one. One had the gall to tell me he'd only try to sell it for $275 even though he was the one with the beat up, rusted post-64 for $400.

LK
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

35 Rem currently at $270 with 4 hours left on the auction - I'm tempted! http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =160020312

30-30 with nice wood - currently at $245 - just under 3 days left. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =160638891

The 1894's are rather inflated though... and harder to find. They're popular!

I'm not meaning to post "available elsewhere" - just wanting to illustrate my point about bargains that can be had.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Image
35 Rem currently at $270 with 4 hours left on the auction - I'm tempted! http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =160020312

30-30 with nice wood - currently at $245 - just under 3 days left. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =160638891

The 1894's are rather inflated though... and harder to find. They're popular!

I'm not meaning to post "available elsewhere" - just wanting to illustrate my point about bargains that can be had.

Is it just me or does that stock not match that forearm? Nice wood on the stock though and a good price at it's current rate.

LK
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I don't know anything about either of those - just using them as examples of good buys that you can snag. But most of my 336's have slightly mismatched wood. That one may be a replacement or just refinished as the finish looks diff too... My 45 Colt CB matches perfectly though.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Montana Outfitters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Montana Outfitters »

There is something you all havn't brought up and that's people paid the big price for these
rifles and now with everything tight they are trying to get their cash out of them at the
same market pricing and NO ONE is spending money unless they can steal it.........I'v been
trying to sell a 98% guide gun with LOTS of brass,dies etc and at a really good price and have
had to take a lot of grief listening to armchair experts bash my rifle, any excuse to beat down
my price is fair game now so please be aware that the THIEVES are lurking on the internet
waiting top pounce on anyone who is in a situating needing cash and being forced to sell
a rifle to do so......This really saddens me as a good deal is one thing but plundering your
neighbor is just too far on the dark side...............
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

most on line sources : GUN BROKER,GUNS AMERICA. even our own LEVERGUNNERS" classified, are , opimistic, to say the least. :lol: look in the want adds and the pawn shops. when the weather clears, the yard sales and flea markets. if you want a bargaain you got to be patient and work for it. as with most things in life.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I just picked up a Remington 870 at a pawnshop for $100 other bargins that I have picked up in pawn shops are a Marlin 60 for $35, M44 Mosin for $70, a Mossberg 500 for $130 and a 7mm Argentine Mauser for $50. All then guns mentioned above I still have or ended up turning a 100% or more profit on when I sold them.

I have several pawn that I frequent and I have also identified those that NO bargin will ever be found at. My suggestions are...

Never go dead set on buying a gun!
Know a bargin when you see it, I have walked away from other purchases and found out later it was a GOOD PRICE!
Check the pawn shops on your days off through the week or at lunch time or on the way home, Saturdays have never been that good for me to find a bargin.

Another alternative to gunshops are Estate Sales or Auctions!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

That must be nice. My local and all of the other pawn shops that I've checked in Texas for that matter have been overpriced. They all have a "firearms value book" aparently.

I don't think $300 for a good 336 chambered for 35 Remington is out of line at all.

But more power to you if you can get those deals 8)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

Ive been cruising gunsamerica, some very reasonable prices but I wonder about the safety of buying from there.